Stihl Contra Info Sharing Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finaly got around to getting all my Contra's out and getting the serial # in a hope that anyone with Contra's can try to work out build dates.
Im happy enough that the S was built in 12-64 as it was bought at the begining of 65 in Kentucky. The AV # 1120737 but came without original bar so hopfully another one will give us more to go on.
Starting with the ex army model #378879 bar 4-66 then going left #373556 bar 12-64, 208362 bar 11-62 and last 188587 bar 2-62
attachment.php

Okay Dave...

Now you have to acquire this French Darth Vader Contra. :biggrinbounce2: :chainsawguy:

attachment.php

http://cgi.ebay.de/Stihl-Contra-Kettensaege_W0QQitemZ260557266822QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor_Gartenger%C3%A4te?hash=item3caa6c5f86

Last edited:
Now that is a crime against Contra's !! That said all the parts seem to be in good condition and with a repaint could be back to good order... just happen to have a spare top mmm...

a while back I was getting my contra S ready for the GTG in oregon and
snapped a shot of the clutch.

The Contra Lightning S 137cc (Super), was built from 64 to 67 and as you see here
the early ones had the three shoe clutch.

The later S has the 6 shoe.

CIMG1247.jpg

Interesting. You all, with Contra Ss, seem to be discovering many small changes in the transition from Contra (106 cc) to 070 (106 cc) to Contra S (137 cc) to 090 (137 cc) - not to mention variances in Contra G & Contra GS & 090 G & 090 GS.

It is all getting quite confusing & it would seem there are fewer interchangeable parts than some might have thought.

Interesting. You all, with Contra Ss, seem to be discovering many small changes in the transition from Contra (106 cc) to 070 (106 cc) to Contra S (137 cc) to 090 (137 cc) - not to mention variances in Contra G & Contra GS & 090 G & 090 GS.

It is all getting quite confusing & it would seem there are fewer interchangeable parts than some might have thought.

The one I would like to see a good example of is the 090 G Super 137.

I spoke with a guy in oregon that had one and asked him to send me some pics
but never heard back. It has a SUPER decal below the 090 G letters.

My freind Richard in Minn bought this cast top contra off ebay a while back
and I expect him to restore this early model.
That will be a nice one to see also.

oldcontra2.jpg

oldcontra.jpg

tried to find this through AS search but no luck.

Google brought it right up though.

NOW LETS SEE THEM CONTRA'S posted here. :D

when I found this saw buried under a work bench at an old saw shop it was
completly covered in grease.

No way it looked like it would run but after a little cleanup and some fresh gas its ready for wood. :msp_thumbup:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tqmWJoOhMP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

direct link Stihl contra Lightning 106cc - YouTube

Here's a few more Contras. Just disreguard the other saws in the picture, I don't know how they got in there. :msp_biggrin:
I'll add some more pics next week, but I might some help keeping this thread going, so lets see those Contras!

I know of 2 different designs for the 58mm top ends for the Contra,

Does any one know when they change cylinder designs? (The 58mm ones.)

1st year Contra/lightning

I'm jealous you have a 1st yr Contra! I would love to have one of those, but they are very hard to find.

Yes they are so when I saw an opportunity to get one I hopped on it even though I'd promised myself not to purchase any more saws. I haven't had the opportunity to work on the saw yet as I'm away from home for the summer. This fall I'll dig into it and hopefully document the whole proces photographically.

Latest posts

Back