Stihl Date Code??!!!! *#@%$#@!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I thought this had come up before and been answered, but a search turned up very little (or less). So- with all the smart fellers on here, somebody must know what letter equals what year ? (date code on a clock face for month, I've got a handle on that, but the year= letter??????????????) Thanks. :confused:

$%^&#% you Dave! Now I gotta put on my shoes so I can go out to the shed and look at the date code on the bottom of my ooooold 025 so I can see how old it is.
:blob2:

Rocket J- my 023 has the square grid instead of the clock face, I'm not even gonna attempt that one :D

Mine has the numbered circle with the arrow pointed between the 6 and 7, then about 1.5" away there is an 'A'. I guess it was made in June '74 then?

I just put a piston and rings in it a couple months ago, didn't touch the cylinder. The dang thing screams and will pull the full 16 inches of bar through oak. It's held up great for a 'plastic' saw.

Must be nice in Fla. Brian- it's 4 above here and I'm not going out to the saw warehouse unless it's on fire- and then only to warm up :D

Date codes in plastic parts are normally for when that part was made. May have no relation to other parts or when the saw itself was assembled.

When the <i>part</i> was made or when the <i>mold</i> for the part was made?

Normally for when the part was actually made. Its dated in case at some future point its discovered there was a bad batch of parts that need recall or some sort of service bulletin to address the failure. I don't know if Stihl makes their own plastic parts or have an outside vendor making them but when outside vendors make the parts the date is when that part was made. Even if Stihl makes their own plastic pieces its not likely the plastic line is feeding parts direct to the assembly line so it seems logical they would follow suit in dating them.

Latest posts

Back