STIHL Dealer turn around time question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the scoop. I guess they had to have a minimum parts order that they had to place through STIHL. They just ordered the parts today. I am lost as to how they can not order just 1 part at a time if necessary. I tried to be civil, and asked the saleman to come out side to speak with me as to not inhibit any future sales, dumb but that is just how I am.

He had told me that he was under the impression that they ordered the parts last week, as was I, but still feel like I am getting the shaft on this one. I told him I needed the saw by Friday. I asked him to call the other dealership to verify when the parts would be in. I told him that I would settle for them swapping the carb from another 230 at this time, or a totally new saw.

Never had to deal with the whole parts issue/minimum order garbage before. Glad I found this site to learn how to fix these myself. Not sure that the warranty is all that great of a thing anyway.

That level of customer service is terrible. If they cant order the parts for a week. They could have taken the parts from a new saw. I have taken parts from a 80k Escalade to make a customer happy. It may not make my new car manager happy but the customer is.

Here's the scoop. I guess they had to have a minimum parts order that they had to place through STIHL. They just ordered the parts today. I am lost as to how they can not order just 1 part at a time if necessary. I tried to be civil, and asked the saleman to come out side to speak with me as to not inhibit any future sales, dumb but that is just how I am.

He had told me that he was under the impression that they ordered the parts last week, as was I, but still feel like I am getting the shaft on this one. I told him I needed the saw by Friday. I asked him to call the other dealership to verify when the parts would be in. I told him that I would settle for them swapping the carb from another 230 at this time, or a totally new saw.

Never had to deal with the whole parts issue/minimum order garbage before. Glad I found this site to learn how to fix these myself. Not sure that the warranty is all that great of a thing anyway.

Doesnt Stihl have a trade in or trade up for 30 days after the sale?

That's Stihl's pitch, not the dealers. If one dealer is too busy, try the next.

Peronsally, a unit that comes in quickly after it's been purchased, they get priority attention. It sucks some of your dealers have to wait 3 days to get a part. We get parts the next business day, but there is a minimum order for free freight. Personally I'd just eat the shipping cost.

Hate ordering Husky parts. They charge more for freight and it takes at least 3 days and the parts come from all over the world on different dates. Sometimes you can't finish a job because a particular part from an order doesn't come until a week after all the other parts came in.

That is the way it should be. You understand customer service.

On the plus side if the dealer don't have something chances are good that you can get it online and faster any way.

Man ain't that the truth. What's up with Stihl impulse hoses and fuel lines? TS400 impulse hose ordered 7-13-13 and still not here? I'd rather use Stihl parts, but waiting 10 to 40 days for MS390 fuel lines and impulse hoses? I can get them from Hutzl in China within 7 to 10 days. It seems every time I order I kick myself for buying OEM Stihl and having my workbench loaded with easy fixes for weeks.....

I wonder if it's my dealer? This is the third dealer I've used this year and all have the same wait period for parts. They are really good with all the other lines of parts.

I really feel for the OP, buying new and then just waiting for a simple warranty repair is rotten.

The president responded to my lengthy email this evening. He instructed me that he would call the facility and see what he could do to speed things up. It seems like the "min parts order thing" is out of their hands, but what if they did not have enough to make an order for 2 months, would I have had to wait that long. I think they could have contacted another dealer to get the part in, I am imagining they are more worried about selling farm equipment and such than backing up their chain saws. I can now see why buying from a hardware store type dealer would be a way better way to go.

I did tell the president that I would let it up to him, to gain my trust back in his business, and deter me from filing a complaint with Stihl, and ruining my perception of his business. I owe him that, to give him a chance to make right this issue. All I want is a saw. I paid for a saw, and now they have my money, and I have nothing, at the moment. I am losing days of warmth by not getting out and cutting. I don't want freebies, or money off, just want my saw, or a different saw to trade with. Just can't afford to be down any longer.

Maybe I should have bought a husky.....:msp_scared:

I'd ask for a loaner.... I know I told you this at another forum. But to go this long? Every good reputable dealer should have an old 025/250/029/290 or 450/55/455/460 (Husq) that they can delve out in a pinch to a customer that NEEDS a saw.

I have always been offered a back up and my dealer knows how many saw I generally have. But it's good business. Granted its a homeowner/Rancher model. But it's a peace offering if its any length of time.

I had asked them about this on the first day that I brought it back, and they told me that the liability is too great to have any type of rental/loaner chainsaws, they told me they had blowers, and pushers for rent but not saws.

If you want good service, you don't push the repair people. It's far better to do repairs yourself, anyway.

Agreed that unnecessary badgering of the staff is t going to get you very far. But we're talking about replacing a carburetor on a four day old MS230 under warranty. It requires 10 minutes of a technicians time and the part even if its not in stock can be had in 3 days MAX.

Change dealers?

I see that there are at least 6 "Elite" Stihl dealers in the Lilly, PA area. Stands to reason that one of them would be able to obtain parts and provide warranty service in a timely manner. I'd take the saw there. BTW, lots of dealers offer rental equipment.

Will be picking my saw up tomorow evening at the other facility. It is on my way home from work so I informed them I would stop in and pick it up to save them a trip to the facility closer to my place of work.

I am still a bit uneasy over going back to this dealer for any work. It is reassuring that the president of the business did reply to my complaint email. He responded at 6:00 yesterday evening, and also informed me at 9:15 this morning of when the saw would be done. He informed me that he would make special arrangements for me to pick it up after hours if necessary. I am still waiting on the sales man to give me a heads up on when this issue will be solved, even though I already know because of the president.

Given what happened here would I be wise to seek out a new dealer, or should I give them another chance. I understand that the min parts order dilema was out of their hands, but do you think they should have contacted another dealer to get the parts needed to fix the saw. This is my biggest gripe of the whole issue, that my saw was left sitting there for a whole week.

The old saying gos: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

How would you go about finding out about a dealers service record, if you have an issue with your saw should you ask when the saw would be done from the get go?

A backup saw is a great idea. If you are running a husky have a Stihl for a backup, You will use your backup saw more than you realize. Out in the remote areas there are few husky dealers for parts.

You have all that backwards and wrong there bubba!

i'd go get your saw, tell them you'll bring it back when the parts are in. Once home, take the carb off and give if a good cleaning. Its fairly new so you shouldn't need a carb kit. Put it back on and fire it up. Once the parts are in, take it back and tell them you'll do it as you don't want your saw there for another couple weeks. If they tell you stihl requires them to do it, say ok I'll wait then and make them do it in front of you. Make sure you get your old carb back.

Will be picking my saw up tomorow evening at the other facility. It is on my way home from work so I informed them I would stop in and pick it up to save them a trip to the facility closer to my place of work.

I am still a bit uneasy over going back to this dealer for any work. It is reassuring that the president of the business did reply to my complaint email. He responded at 6:00 yesterday evening, and also informed me at 9:15 this morning of when the saw would be done. He informed me that he would make special arrangements for me to pick it up after hours if necessary. I am still waiting on the sales man to give me a heads up on when this issue will be solved, even though I already know because of the president.

Given what happened here would I be wise to seek out a new dealer, or should I give them another chance. I understand that the min parts order dilema was out of their hands, but do you think they should have contacted another dealer to get the parts needed to fix the saw. This is my biggest gripe of the whole issue, that my saw was left sitting there for a whole week.

The old saying gos: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

How would you go about finding out about a dealers service record, if you have an issue with your saw should you ask when the saw would be done from the get go?

I have been going on 7 weeks now waiting on $1.60 worth of circlips from the local stihl dealer....the order didn't even go in until after 5-6 weeks I found out, and they did NOT tell me that when I asked for it, they said "about a week". Turns out they just wait until they get x-sized order, then do it then. proly have quite a few other customers waiting for parts or repairs because of this...

Load of hooie. This is why my stihls are always up for swap, and I cut and run with poulans/husky/echo.

Other areas are different, they have good stihl dealers who actually stock parts, or have a fast order cycle. My area, nope...

Sounds like you are in the same boat with your local dealer. Get the saw running, sell it while stil clean, etc, get as much as you can, then, look at other dealers in the area (or off the site here, tons of dealers and individuals selling saws), any other brand that has a better dealer, and get one of those instead..they all will cut wood. There is no reason to be tied to some..marketing cult..some name on a hunka machinery, especially on low end saws, just way way too many good used runners out there.

I think I found my new dealer. A member on another forum, who lives about 1.5 miles away from me suggested another dealer in the area.

I contacted them through email, explained the current issue, and asked for more info on their shop. I wanted to get away from a shop that also sells large equipment and such. I was answered with a nice email,and this stuck out in my mind:

When my husband finished reading your email he said and I quote "1) I would have found the defective carburetor when servicing the saw at the point of sale. 2) I have the carburetor on the shelf. And 3) I would have replace the carburetor in front of him while he waited." That is the way my husband does business. As he says time and time again, "We're all about customer service here."

This sounds like a place where I want to take my saw. The owner sounds well equipped with parts, and knows his stuff with stihl saws. Wether he could have diagnosed the carb issue from point of sale is subjective, but the fact that they have a large inventory of parts on the shelf is reason enough to check them out.

I will be stopping by their shop soon. They had offered me some instructions on stihl saws, and tips for mixing gas, as well as opperations. I feel that this is more of what I am looking for in a service shop/dealer.

@ STIHLMIKE

sure sounds like the right place to go! And when your there ask how much a upgrade to a 251 would cost you! That would be about perfect for you.

The thing that bothers me is this saw was brand new and recently sold to the OP. Call me crazy, but if I were a dealer and a new saw I sold failed that quickly, it would be at the top of my pile to fix.

Completely agree.

Bringing a used saw in for repairs means waiting in line at the mercy of the shop. On the other hand, a brand new saw should be at the top of the list as this was the fault of the company. Pull the part off another saw, give the guy a different saw, or get it fixed pronto. Doesnt matter if it was the bottom or top of the line model, that's what a good dealer would do.

Politely prod them to get it done quickly, and when it's done explain frankly (but not rudely) that you were very dissapointed with the service. A good dealer will work to earn your trust back, a bad one will send you on your way.

Thanks SVK. This has been going on since August 15th. A little ticked but calming down as I know I will be getting to cut soon.:blob2:

Back