Stihl dealer...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went to order some parts for a few 029s today. I've order full sets of runner parts for saws from this dealer before, dirt cheap prices. Today I brought in the list and I get a call a little later about the order. He tells me he can only order fuel lines, pickup bodies, and bar nuts in packs of five or ten.

He says he can't get them single, I tell home I ordered a single fuel line from him 5 months ago and he replies with maybe something changed.

Anybody else experienced this? I asked him if he had something wrong and he got a little upset and told me it's the way it is. I like this dealer, his prices are good, but this is silly. I ordered all kinds of parts for the 024, 028, and 029. Just those three things had minimum order numbers with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest i have order some small parts like e clips, washer, bolts and they have been telling me that i had to buy a 5-10 as that is how they come in. but for fuel line and bar nut they are high sellers he should by 5 and u sell one

I went to order some parts for a few 029s today. I've order full sets of runner parts for saws from this dealer before, dirt cheap prices. Today I brought in the list and I get a call a little later about the order. He tells me he can only order fuel lines, pickup bodies, and bar nuts in packs of five or ten.

He says he can't get them single, I tell home I ordered a single fuel line from him 5 months ago and he replies with maybe something changed.

Anybody else experienced this? I asked him if he had something wrong and he got a little upset and told me it's the way it is. I like this dealer, his prices are good, but this is silly. I ordered all kinds of parts for the 024, 028, and 029. Just those three things had minimum order numbers with them.

I think you need to find a new dealer. All parts can be ordered in singles.

Time to find a new dealer, since Stihl won't let you buy parts any other way but thru dealers. It should not be the consumer's job to inventory his own stash of bulk-ordered parts because the dealer is too whatever to do it. Would the tractor dealer force you to buy four sets of tires or a half-dozen brush cutters when all you want is one?

Additional thought: Could you order five and then return four?

Dealers are all over the map when it comes to what they can and will do. I order my Stihl parts from an Ace Hardware store that is a Stihl dealer. They only place an order when it is large enough to get better shipping rates. That means about every two weeks or so.

I have to be very careful though, and make sure they know EXACTLY what I want. If I have any doubts, I have them show me the parts screen on their computer. They do seem to keep a good supply of parts on hand.

This seems to have just started, as I have been ordering from them for 4 years now. They have ordered me Stihl tools at cost, so I'm just shocked they are getting picky. The dealer I had before this charged $5 shipping on parts that were not a current model for sale, that's why I switched here. I have a dealer closer, but they charge 5-15% more for the same parts.

i hardly ever order parts. my preferred dealer sells husky and stihl. it's so rare that i have to go in there and actually order something that i can't remember the last time. they always have what i need in stock for anything modern. if they don't have it they already have it on order and they usually have one used for me anyways. they also have new and used parts for many of the desirable saws from times past.

Don't you live on a remote Peninsula with a couple thousand people?
That's hard to imagine....lol

I live in a town with 500k, they never have anything in stock. I couldn't image walking in and ordering a piston kit and them having it in stock.

Don't you live on a remote Peninsula with a couple thousand people?
That's hard to imagine....lol

I live in a town with 500k, they never have anything in stock. I couldn't image walking in and ordering a piston kit and them having it in stock.

did you google where i live when i shipped you that 3120 crank lol yes it is remote. notice i said preferred. my preferred dealer is an hour and a half away in port alberni. the dealer here where i live is about as hurt'n as hurt'n gets. even when i order something it takes so long that i just end up getting it from my preferred dealer. so now i don't bother with them and my preferred dealer will ship me stuff i need whenever i need it. i always get it next business day or same day if i order before 10am. shippings like $5 on average. well worth it as the dealer here seems to be 30% higher for everything anyways. piston kit is another story though, they may have 50% of the pistons i need but i don't go OEM often anyways cause OEM pistons here in Canada are rediculous. walkers saw shop is another preferred dealer of mine just another hour away and they have all piston kits i've ever needed in stock. they will also ship with the same kinda delivery times as LB woodchoppers in PA.

Yes, in fact I did.
Looks very nice to me.
I have to drive at least 10 or 11 hours in any direction to see salt water.

I think there are so many models of chainsaws now that it's not worth the effort to stock anything besides air filters for dealers.
I, on the other hand have only a few models of cutoff saws to stock parts for, so it is mich simpler for me as an industrial repair guy.

If you are not a stickler for OEM a look on Ebay for M8 Flange nuts will source bar nuts at a better bang for your buck

They are $.47 from Stihl, no shipping costs from the dealer :)

We have five Stihl dealers in Joetown. Two (Ace is one) are within a mile of our place. I go three miles to a contractor supply house as they have most of the common stuff on the shelf. And, the three techs are very helpful.

Never has charged me shipping. They get things in on Tuesday and Thursday from their distributor in Illinois.

Must go in too often as they use my first name and offered to run me a tab.[emoji15]

Bar nuts, filppy caps and other misc are under the counter to save walking back to the stock room.

Latest posts

Back