Stihl dealers and used saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course it is. We generally don't take trades unless we know both the saw and the owner very well. The main reason is that we shy away from selling used equipment since it is very difficult to offer a warranty on them. If a guy sells something privately there is usually no expectation of warranty. People buying from a store expect that the store will stand behind it, which we should. But if something is a bit on the old side, it could appear to be fine but have a major failure a couple of weeks after it is sold. Then what? I just don't want to compromise my good reputation by selling something and having such a confrontation with a customer.

Our sthil Dealer does not sell his used saws in shop anymore.
Sells them on Ebay says he gets more money for them.
Guess us poor folks money is not good enough for him.
But on the other hand he would be more then glad to sell a new saw that most people can't afford around here. Money is tight around us.

I shy away from all trade ins on saws. They are a quick way to get burned. When I do take a trade, it will only be on a brand I can support and a model with all current safety devices.
I have found that most people who want to trade do so because the saw is toast and they don't think they can sell it.
Here in Maine there is an implied warranty law, anything a business sells, new or used, must carry a warranty. The state can decide what the warranty must cover, not the dealer. There are a few exceptions, i.e. "as is" autos with no inspection sticker. If I sell five used saws, and one comes back, I've lost the profit from the other four. Not a real good business practice. Also if you look closely at most trade in deals, they will be taken of MSRP, not the usual selling price. The best buy is almost always going to be a clean sale.

All Stihl dealers are independent. It's up to them whether to trade in or not.

We trade a lot of used saws/blowers/weed eaters (Stihl only) and if they need a lot of work, pile them up for the slower months and then rework them. They sell with a 30 or 90 days store warranty.

Lakeside53 said:

We trade a lot of used saws/blowers/weed eaters (Stihl only) and if they need a lot of work, pile them up for the slower months and then rework them. They sell with a 30 or 90 days store warranty.

That sound like a good way to operate, wish you were closer but I'm sure you would get tired of me stopping in all the time to see your inventory. There is a guy that has a one man shop about 30 miles from me that does the same thing, He calls me about once a month to let me know what he's got. I have bought 6 saws from him. Plus he discounts for cash!!! Hope he stays around, he's about 75 years old and his health is declining.
Mark

Lakeside53 said:

Thats what I like to hear. Michigan always has room for people like you.

Latest posts

Back