Stihl Easy2Start How it works? How to repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macs woodshop

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Working on Stihl MS250. Easy2Start. Not exactly broken, but takes one and a half pulls to trip the EasyStart spring. I have been told and see videos to "NOT YANK THE ROPE LIKE NORMAL SAWS". because once you do that, it will be screwed up from then on. So I have taken this recoil apart, (have NOT taken the secondary spring cartridge apart). I don't really see anything broken. But what exactly gets "screwed up" in the yank-pull ?? What should I be looking for, or truthfully, how do you go about fixing one of these supposedly screwed up starters? Perhaps it just needs cleaned up from sticky oil gunk in the spring, carb cleaner or whatever, folowed by WD40? that is my thought now. I don't want to take the spring apart to rewind if I don't have to, but would do so if necessary?
Would an Stihl 250 Shop repair manual go into this issue? I don't mind buying a manual, but at least want that part of the understanding to be in there.
I think I now understand the theory or the mechanism of the first recoil engages the housing of the secondary recoil mechanism and winds that part until it overcomes the resistance of the crankshaft/piston/engine etc? then once it begins spinning, it continues until the secondary spring is wound down to limp? Is that about correct?
Would like to hear explanations before I try to describe my understanding any further. Thank you for any comments.

Attachments

• Easy2start1.jpg
    Easy2start1.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Easy2start2.jpg
    Easy2start2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Easy2start4.jpg
    Easy2start4.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Easy2start3.jpg
    Easy2start3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
Usually they just break the rope. A bonifide dum dum will break the second spring
I always thought , if you can’t pull the rope put the tool down

My 251C has one and I wish it did not. Something else that can break and drive you nuts either replacing it or fixing it. The idea was to activate a spring assist mechanism with a partial pull to make it easier to turn over the second pull that actually cranks the shaft. A fellow across the street who has a Stihl leaf blower with one has had it repaired three times in two years.

I suggest getting a copy of the service manual for repairs. See the stickies here.

I had a friend give me a Stihl trimmer because the “easy start” system never worked right and finally broke. I found out by looking at parts lists that I can get a new spool and spring and it will fit into the original recoil housing and make it a normal starter.

Maybe you could do the same with a few different parts. If not maybe there is a different starter that will bolt right on. The Stihl easy start system is absolute garbage.

Now to add some info to my own post, do you believe in Serendipity? Yesterday I was trying to find some more info on Easy2Start on the internet. Right then I heard a voice in our front office, went to see for sure. It was a fellow who owns the local Stihl dealership and does some of their repair work. He was here on other business (farming, agriculture) but i took the opportunity to quiz him on these systems. Oh No, he shook his head when I placed the starter on the counter. Well, tell me why? I asked. Pretty much what we have described in our thread here. They get screwed up. So I asked him exactly what gets screwed and how to un-screw it? He agreed the spring in my secondary spring cartridge was not broken, but says they get stretched or out of shape when people Drop-Start or yank. And there is not much way to un-stretch it back into shape. But he did order me a whole new cartridge for aroung $35. That should put this one back into new order. We will see when I get the new one. In the meantime, I have put it all back together very cleaned and oiled, and have found that if I give about a half pull, then let cord retract and give it the slow steady full second stroke, it will trip and spin the engine on that second stroke. Not bad. But I will replace, nonetheless.

Funny add-on to above story: the Stihl Dealer/hardware store owner asked me if I want a job working on saws. It's tempting! Not quite done with where I am for now. But it was a bright spot in my day!!

Frank, are you saying that Rotor (or looks like a rope pulley plus maybe where the pawls would go) Does that retro-fit the blower starter to just a simple pull start/ recoil unit? Eliminates the Easy2start ?

@frank_ Many thanks.

This is an old thread, but it was exactly what I was looking for to replace the POS "Easy Pull" spring and 2 plastic discs on my brother's old Stihl BG56C leaf blower.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333125761060

$15.98 + $4.86 shipping + sales tax.

Or search for "STIHL bg86 bg56 sh86 56 recoil starter rope rotor spool non easy start" without the quotes.
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I have a BG86C blower, the first OPE I own that has the Easy to Start system. It works fine now, since I decided not to fight with it. The thing doesn't start with any less pulls but less energy is expended not jerking on the rope. There wont be another one though!

I had a friend give me a Stihl trimmer because the “easy start” system never worked right and finally broke. I found out by looking at parts lists that I can get a new spool and spring and it will fit into the original recoil housing and make it a normal starter.

Maybe you could do the same with a few different parts. If not maybe there is a different starter that will bolt right on. The Stihl easy start system is absolute garbage.
I don't see a lot of them, but never saw 1 brake. My dad's ms180 would be near 15 years old and is on its 2nd owner used yearly for firewood and farm maintnence as a primary saw. I have 1 been using as a beater saw about a couple years. No starter problem on either. Neighbors have an ms250 on its second owner, pretty certain over a decade old. Not aware of any significant problems with it.

Latest posts

Back