Stihl Easy2Start How it works? How to repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an almost new 170e and absolutley hate it! That system feels so strange to me. I took mine to the dealer and said, clean and tune it up. I then took it home and drained the gas and put in on the shelf and have never started it since. That was seven years ago or so. I then went and bought a new MS250 and have lived happily ever after, The End

I have an almost new 170e and absolutley hate it! That system feels so strange to me. I took mine to the dealer and said, clean and tune it up. I then took it home and drained the gas and put in on the shelf and have never started it since. That was seven years ago or so. I then went and bought a new MS250 and have lived happily ever after, The End
I had one for a short while, decided it might be a good one to sell. I still have a 250 but don't use it much. On small stuff I use my Echo 330T. On filthy stuff close to the ground I use my Craftsman 2.1.

I have never seen a 170e. 180C, yes. I hope you ran it dry.

I have never seen a 170e. 180C, yes. I hope you ran it dry.
I just added the "e" to designate the EasyStart feature. Hell, it might even be a 180 of some sort. I don't remember exactly, it's been sitt'n on a shelf in the shed for years with an old spark plug in a baggie tied to the handle just the way I got it back from the dealer's service dept. And I don't remember if I ran it dry or not, and now that you bring up such a good point, it has me bothered some!

I fixed a couple of MS170s with this. It eliminated the easy2start system for a fraction of buying Stihl repair parts.
Not sure if the aftermarket has come up with a solution for other Stihl products with the same problem. I moved and haven’t fired up my new shop yet so I’m kinda out of the loop.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2833499488...QScunKSgQlgwHV9mpoiI0NOw==|tkp:Bk9SR7bOi9SoYQ
Hey Goof, I'm thinking this might be the way to go and I can resurrect this saw. Is there any other parts needed, besides the one in this link, that I may need to get er done?
Thanks

Did you order the aftermarket starter?
Any luck getting your saw running again?
Yah, it's here but I don't want to fight through the snow drifts to get to my storage shed to get it so I'll just have to wait 'till spring. Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Back