Stihl Easy2Start How it works? How to repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One problem with these starters is you really get only one good fast revolution for each pull and it can take a long time to get fuel up the line and into the carb (no primer bulb). Another problem is spring strength, when you pull it through compression, the wound up spring is released and is supposed to kick the engine through a complete compression/fire cycle but if the spring isn't strong enough the piston just slows down and stops when it hits compression. They are good when working well but frustrating when they aren't.

One problem with these starters is you really get only one good fast revolution for each pull and it can take a long time to get fuel up the line and into the carb (no primer bulb). Another problem is spring strength, when you pull it through compression, the wound up spring is released and is supposed to kick the engine through a complete compression/fire cycle but if the spring isn't strong enough the piston just slows down and stops when it hits compression. They are good when working well but frustrating when they aren't.
I think the problem is exactly what you said. It’s frustration that breaks the “easy 2start” system. It is not robust enough for aggravated users to yank on. It isn’t engineered with enough forgiveness for the typical homeowner and unfortunately the “starter” spring can’t handle the stress.

I think the problem around here is that people don't learn how to use them first, they just start pulling on them, thinking it's about the same as the conventional starter, then wonder why they feel so different..
The problem is that they didn’t engineer it to stand up to public use. Thus this conversation.

Both my ms211c and ms251c have primer bulbs. My ms180c does not.
All start easily. Issues begin when stale gas, dirty worn out carbs that need cleaning and a kit, are put together with owners who think they will overcome poor maintenance by pulling harder on the rope just like their gas mower. When the starter breaks they blame it instead of themselves.

Both my ms211c and ms251c have primer bulbs. My ms180c does not.
All start easily. Issues begin when stale gas, dirty worn out carbs that need cleaning and a kit, are put together with owners who think they will overcome poor maintenance by pulling harder on the rope just like their gas mower. When the starter breaks they blame it instead of themselves.
Exactly. It’s a poor design that breaks. It simply wasn’t built robust enough for public use.

Exactly. It’s a poor design that breaks. It simply wasn’t built robust enough for public use.
Fortunately there are lots of other saws to choose from without easy to start. Those other saws rarely if ever have recoil starter issues. I rotate between 15 saws and counting so I expect no starter issues, lol

Fortunately there are lots of other saws to choose from without easy to start. Those other saws rarely if ever have recoil starter issues. I rotate between 15 saws and counting so I expect no starter issues, lol
Yep. I would never own a Stihl but they seem popular. My biggest complaint when I had my shop was how messy they are. They leak bar oil like crazy. I cringed when they brought one in in a case. They would be soaking in oil. If I wasn’t home they would sometimes drop off saws on the concrete approach to my shop. There would be a big puddle when I got home.
Oddly I only had a few requests to fix the leak. I guess Stihl owners just accept that it’s gonna make a mess.
That and the fact that Stihl hides their parts diagrams from the public and routinely discontinues parts availability is why I would never own one. There are much better saws available.

Read and follow! Let's see, concrete saw dropped off won't start. Fuel filled to top with prefect mix. Brand new air filter. Piston badly scored. Yep... straight gas!
You'd think that as much as a concrete saw costs that the new owner would really take good care of them. Well, that's not the case, at least around here. I've kinda stopped messing with them for customers, might buy one for myself if I can find a nice one cheap enough..

I think the problem around here is that people don't learn how to use them first, they just start pulling on them, thinking it's about the same as the conventional starter, then wonder why they feel so different..
hundreds of used saws with this feature. Its a 1/2 day learning curve, completely explained, in the manual. 1/2 pull, energy transmits, engine rolls over. 3 times on full choke and every of my saws barked. 4th pull on 1/2 choke, and the engine is idling fast.....

hundreds of used saws with this feature. Its a 1/2 day learning curve, completely explained, in the manual. 1/2 pull, energy transmits, engine rolls over. 3 times on full choke and every of my saws barked. 4th pull on 1/2 choke, and the engine is idling fast.....
You're preaching to the choir..One of my customers is a lawyer and he even wanted his saw changed over...twice!

I had a ms250c ,I still regret selling it for 350 bucks because it was a great little cutter and super easy to start up. Even my 40lb 8 year old and wife could start it up easily. I got rid of that crappy "tool free" chain tensioner for the standard 025 version. I really liked the easy start once I got used to it and I found I turned the saw off more often because it was so easy to fire back up.

I had a ms250c ,I still regret selling it for 350 bucks because it was a great little cutter and super easy to start up. Even my 40lb 8 year old and wife could start it up easily. I got rid of that crappy "tool free" chain tensioner for the standard 025 version. I really liked the easy start once I got used to it and I found I turned the saw off more often because it was so easy to fire back up.
350? Sounds like you made out pretty good!

350? Sounds like you made out pretty good!
It was practically brand new and I included 3 stihl chains and 2 air filters with it.
It came from a guy who stored it in his Cadillac's trunk as a non runner, it visited several repair shops but noone could figure it out. It ended up having a couple hairs of steel wire under the coil causing it to have no spark or randomly start then die.

Back