stihl flip gas cap leaking!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakedesnake048

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey all is there any special trick to this? i have it twisted and "locked" (or i thought) so i cant pull it off, but it leaks profusely. the o ring is still intact and turning it moves the tensioner up and down. should i just get a new cap and would this be covered by warrantY?

IT IS! OMG! HOLY CRAP! NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A THING. WHAT IN TARNATION ARE YOU GOING TO DO?

Hold the o-ring in one hand turn the thing backwards til it is all the way unlocked, try sticking it in again, if no go ,replace cap.

Twist a fiddle with it until it locks home. Sometimes they break, and they just do not seat right. In that case, you have to get another one. I prefer the old style Stihl screw-in type caps myself.

:agree2: tom trees p.s buy a 1/2 doz of them they brake:cheers:
Yep my polesaw gas cap petered out today.
380743668_52ddeb803c.jpg

I say we start a petion send it to stihl and get rid of them :censored: caps. They are horriable i mean cant they design somthing better. the ones on the 200T or the worse dont know how many times new guys fill em up dont get the cap right, next thing its on a rope going up the tree and SPILL all over the nice oak tree and "gasp" the brand new concrete sidewalk!!

You may want to investigate on Stihl's site, or maybe the user manual, they have a how to about those caps, it seems that they take a little getting used to to fit in correctly.

When a company has to write a how to in the user manual on gas and oil caps I would say it is a flawed design.

Check with your dealer about buying just the sealing gasket.

Philbert

The gaskets are typically not what fail. They tend to be fine. Its the twisting mechanism in the plastic caps. The little tangs shear or bend, or the plastic warps. No way to fix them once they are gone. They get loose, and you can fiddle with them for a while, but then they give out, and that's it. I have a few spares that I got from parted out saws. One of my 361s has a loose one now. Have to twist it in there 2 or 3 times to get it to seat right. Time to replace it. I have had those caps not seat right several times, and either dumped gas or oil all over on more than one occasion. Never happens with the screw-in types.

Also the old screw in ones rarely fail. There are several types. They typically get to the point that the slots in them are completely stripped out and the edges are worn down. Then you cannot seat them right. But that takes eons. Sometimes the threads strip on them and they leak, and they have to be replaced. They require a scrench to loosen and tighten in the field though, as compared to the snap in ones. I figure that I need a scrench anyway to keep the chains tight, so may as well have screw in caps. No way am I gonna go with the easy adjuster side plastic dial, as I prefer the tried and true dual bolt bar tightening system.

Last edited:
ok that sounds like it. because ive had it on there and it sealed the last time i filled up. is there any way that a screw in type would fit this 361 or are they only the quik style? guess i'll have to order a new one once i find out thanks

Never had a problem with the caps until I poured all the gas out of my 260 one day and down my leg after filling up and walking back to the tree. I need to make sure that I get it in true and square before giving the final twist, or it leaks like you describe. Not an o-ring problem, just goes in crooked and leaves a wide open hole for the gas. I guess I could try a new cap. My other saws with the same type of cap don't seem to have this problem, but they don't have as many miles on them.

ok that sounds like it. because ive had it on there and it sealed the last time i filled up. is there any way that a screw in type would fit this 361 or are they only the quik style? guess i'll have to order a new one once i find out thanks

The twist and snap type caps are all you can get on the newer saws. They are not swapable between styles (snap to threads or threads to snap).

Note that sometimes they just do not seat right, even when they are OK. Usually when there is too much oil in the tank they will not press in. Unlile the screw-ins, where they screw in even if they are overfilled.

I say we start a petion send it to stihl and get rid of them :censored: caps. They are horriable i mean cant they design somthing better. the ones on the 200T or the worse dont know how many times new guys fill em up dont get the cap right, next thing its on a rope going up the tree and SPILL all over the nice oak tree and "gasp" the brand new concrete sidewalk!!
i have to totaly agree with you on this the ones on the ms200t really suck!!! the design just straight up sucks!!!

Latest posts

Back