stihl flip gas cap leaking!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we should start the " I hate the new fuel caps fan club". Our membership should exceed husky vs stihl. Also the new caps just acts like a funnel to inject dirt and wood chips in to the tank.

Yup noticed that too on Ms 200 t been wondering how long before maintenance costs will start putting me in the poor house?

I was talking to a Stihl rep at the last TCIA show about the caps. At first he was giving me the surprised look about how he had never heard that there was a problem. I told him to level with me, I can't be the only guy that has a crew that doesn't like them and has trouble with them. His answer then floored me, " Have you ever tried to tell a German that he made a mistake". Now when I get an oil bath, I laugh. Pete

haha thats godo stuff...i talked to my stihl guy and he says "we dont have any problems with them" i thought ya right...you must not ever have people that use your saws then after all the stuff i've heard on here

haha thats godo stuff...i talked to my stihl guy and he says "we dont have any problems with them" i thought ya right...you must not ever have people that use your saws then after all the stuff i've heard on here

Thats the reason many have moved to the orange side of life. Stihl has the big head,they don't listen to the sawperator's and get rid of those pesky caps and choke bs switch and for once they did listen and air injected at least so who knows they may be learning. I think the dealers want them built to need parts,filters and generally repair jmo.

For the ones having trouble with the STIHL caps not going on and staying

I too hated these caps at first. Why it's usually just the oil cap only is beyond me.

I took these pics of a gas cap just now, so I wouldn't get oil all over my fingers.

One day after getting pissed off about it. I thought...OK let's check this out, something is wrong here and it ain't crap in the threads or over filling.

Here it is guys...

The cap should look like this when you put it back in.
0420090822.jpg

When it is giving you trouble, look at it and you will see it will look like this.
0420090821.jpg

One counterclockwise turn holding the top and bottom will snap it back together and it will go right in.

Now my help and I know what to look for and never have a problem with them.

When you do get it to go on right, it's because without knowing it, it popped back down in place.
Hold the cap with both hands and turn it and you'll see what it's doing and what I'm talking about.

I too hated these caps at first. Why it's usually just the oil cap only is beyond me.

I took these pics of a gas cap just now, so I wouldn't get oil all over my fingers.

One day after getting pissed off about it. I thought...OK let's check this out, something is wrong here and it ain't crap in the threads or over filling.

Here it is guys...

The cap should look like this when you put it back in.
0420090822.jpg

When it is giving you trouble, look at it and you will see it will look like this.
0420090821.jpg

One counterclockwise turn holding the top and bottom will snap it back together and it will go right in.

Now my help and I know what to look for and never have a problem with them.

When you do get it to go on right, it's because without knowing it, it popped back down in place.
Hold the cap with both hands and turn it and you'll see what it's doing and what I'm talking about.

Ummmmmmmmmm can't wait for lunch with all that oil on my hands lol what about the issues of the hole funneling dirt into the tank?

The point is I NEVER had to hold up the old screw cap to see if it was going in right or not. Just close my eyes and screw the dam thing on and go!!

. . they don't listen to the sawperator's and get rid of those pesky caps and choke bs switch . .

I like the 'Master Control Switch' on Stihls. I also like that it is consistent across all of their saws. I dislike the new 'pull-out-then-up' switch on Husky consumer saws.

I took these pics of a gas cap just now,

Raymond, appreciate your effort, but the photos are a bit fuzzy. The difference is the space between the upper and lower parts of the cap?
Thanks.

i think they could just make a better design

+1

Or, as I suggested before, someone should design and sell an adaptor that gets epoxied into the flppy cap holes, and accepts a regular screw thread cap.

Philbert.

those caps are the worst thing stihl ever did.. Went to an equipment open house and gave the stihl rep an earful.. He said to me "get used to it cause they're here to stay.." and gave me a new cap. No sir, I'm not going to get used to it.. not at all.. After 23 years of running stihls I think I'm gonna give husky a try

hey all is there any special trick to this? i have it twisted and "locked" (or i thought) so i cant pull it off, but it leaks profusely. the o ring is still intact and turning it moves the tensioner up and down. should i just get a new cap and would this be covered by warrantY?
I just went out and spent $7.00 for a new Gas cap for my STIHL MS 391. I compared the two gas caps and they appeared to be exactly the same with no damage to my original gas cap. My gas cap problem was the cap needed to turn another 3/8 inch more so it would lock down and quit coming loose dumping gas down my leg. So I decided to add a little oil under the O ring and around the gas cap locking mechanism. I worked the cap a few times then the old cap started working with no problem.

I was talking to a Stihl rep at the last TCIA show about the caps. At first he was giving me the surprised look about how he had never heard that there was a problem. I told him to level with me, I can't be the only guy that has a crew that doesn't like them and has trouble with them. His answer then floored me, " Have you ever tried to tell a German that he made a mistake". Now when I get an oil bath, I laugh. Pete
Similar to dealing with Japanese engineering teams - they will make a comment that the loose translation is " round eyes knows nothing" That was ten years of fun ( not).

I just went out and spent $7.00 for a new Gas cap for my STIHL MS 391. I compared the two gas caps and they appeared to be exactly the same with no damage to my original gas cap. My gas cap problem was the cap needed to turn another 3/8 inch more so it would lock down and quit coming loose dumping gas down my leg. So I decided to add a little oil under the O ring and around the gas cap locking mechanism. I worked the cap a few times then the old cap started working with no problem.

I used an MS362 when I was first getting into tree work professionally. It literally filled my pocket with premix. It drowned my phone. I said never again. I haven't purchased one stihl chainsaw since. I refuse to use the flippy caps. It's a shame cause I like their saws other than that and my closest saw shop is a stihl dealer that I really like.

Latest posts

Back