Stihl FS 460 C problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnitchy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi. New to forum and first time posting.

Recently acquired a second hand stihl FS 460. Been having trouble getting it to continue going after it starts. Starts easily however It dies after a couple of minutes of running. I can open the throttle or leave it in choke and it does not make a difference. Opening the throttle makes it die faster. Have taken it to an old school stihl serviceman and he thinks it's the electronics. He does not think its the piston or carb. Any opinions on this?

It is pretty new and I don't doubt the previous owner when he said it has only done a couple of hours.

Any one have a similar problem and hopefully a solution? I hope to avoid sending it to a stihl shop as I don't want to increase my mortgage anytime soon.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. New to forum and first time posting.

Recently acquired a second hand stihl FS 460. Been having trouble getting it to continue going after it starts. Starts easily however It dies after a couple of minutes of running. I can open the throttle or leave it in choke and it does not make a difference. Opening the throttle makes it die faster. Have taken it to an old school stihl serviceman and he thinks it's the electronics. He does not think its the piston or carb. Any opinions on this?

It is pretty new and I don't doubt the previous owner when he said it has only done a couple of hours.

Any one have a similar problem and hopefully a solution? I hope to avoid sending it to a stihl shop as I don't want to increase my mortgage anytime soon.

Thanks in advance

Price a coil then try it . I think it may be the problem it is common I had a few go bad.

Try to reset the control unit to factory defaults. Remove the cutting attachment and the mounting hardware. Set the choke lever to the start position and start the engine. Let the engine run in this start position for at least 90 sec. After the 90 sec, switch of the engine without blipping the throttle trigger. Now the control unit is calibrated. Maybe this helps you for a better running engine.

If the engine is running after the calibration process let it run four or five times for 30 sec. at full throttle in the cut off range. Between the full throttle phases carry out a few load changes. Between each full throttle phase, let the engine idle for 5 sec. and accelerate again to full throttle.

Let us know if this helps you out.

Kind regards,
DND 9000

Thanks @DND9000 will try that first before the coil. Will keep you posted. I should also add the unit was probably stored did several years with fuel in it.

Is electrics a common problem with these newer stihl units?

Would anyone have the service manual or electrical schematics?

@ANewSawyer I don't think it would be a fuel line as the serviceman should have spotted it. Hope it does not need a rebuild [emoji29]

Try to reset the control unit to factory defaults. Remove the cutting attachment and the mounting hardware. Set the choke lever to the start position and start the engine. Let the engine run in this start position for at least 90 sec. After the 90 sec, switch of the engine without blipping the throttle trigger. Now the control unit is calibrated. Maybe this helps you for a better running engine.

If the engine is running after the calibration process let it run four or five times for 30 sec. at full throttle in the cut off range. Between the full throttle phases carry out a few load changes. Between each full throttle phase, let the engine idle for 5 sec. and accelerate again to full throttle.

Let us know if this helps you out.

Kind regards,
DND 9000
Hi DND 9000 could you elaborate on what you mean regarding cut of range? And carrying out a load change?

Could fuel type be an issue! Kiwi fuel is rubbish. I once bought a Makita chainsaw that would not go out of the box. Carburetor needed tuning as it was tuned in factory for German fuel. [emoji53]

My better half reckons I'm cursed and should not buy anymore power tools. I smell a conspiracy!![emoji33]

Sorry for the rant. I'm just darn keen to start sorting my land out and this is really getting in the way!

91 on the sign but been told it is lower in reality. Planning on shifting to 97 for all my tools.

Would it make that much of a difference?

Well, if it was 80 we would have to talk. I use 91 "no ethanol" gas. If there is ethanol in your gas, like there is in most of our gas in the US, I could see it detracting from the octane rating. Still, I would think you should be fine with 91. Unless the station was mixing 50/50 with water. ;) Sorry, I was trying to help!

Well, if it was 80 we would have this talk. I use 91 "no ethanol" gas. If there is ethanol in your gas, like there is in most of our gas in the US, I could see it detracting from the octane rating. Still, I would think you should be fine with 91. Unless the station was mixing 50/50 with water. ;) Sorry, I was trying to help!
Any help is welcome and much appreciated! It's all learning for me! [emoji106]

Why would you open the fuel tank? Just in case a vacuum is preventing fuel uptake?

Fuel has been replaced with fresh stuff and 2 stroke mix. Should not be an issur

Hi DND 9000 could you elaborate on what you mean regarding cut of range? And carrying out a load change?

Hi

If you have the engine running full throttle with no load, then you are in the cut of range. The engine speed is electronically limited through the control unit. With several slight load changes I mean that you shouldn`t give the engine all the time full throttle. Sometimes go a little back to half throttle or so and then accelerate to full throttle again.
Changing the fuel can also have an effect. Normally the engines run with pump fuel a little bit richer as with alcylate fuel (like Stihl Moto Mix, Aspen 2 or trufuel) But M-Tronik is able to compensate that, but it can take some time.

If you recalibrate your unit, be sure that your air filter, fuel filter, the fuel lines, the pickup body in the tank and the spark plug is in good condition, too.

Kind regards,
DND 9000

Why would you open the fuel tank? Just in case a vacuum is preventing fuel uptake?

Fuel has been replaced with fresh stuff and 2 stroke mix. Should not be an issur

Yes, in case the tank vent goes bad and stops letting air into the tank. Thus building up a vacuum.

Something not mentioned yet is the possibility of a split primer bulb,, worth a look.
As for fuel I use 98 octane and love it :numberone:

Hi fellas. I think it was a plugged injector. It's been cleared and now the bush cutter goes like a demon! Guess that's what happens when you store fuel in it for too long. Good bugger who sorted it for me only charged me $30. And would not take more! So i threw in a box of chocolates. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!

Latest posts

Back