Stihl FS 55 FS55 carb & fuel line questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm needing to rebuild the carb on my Stihl FS 55. The IPL shows four different Zama carbs, and I haven't been able to figure out which one I have, & the SM hasn't been much help.

1. Is there a way to ID the carb without removing it? I looked it over with it on the trimmer, but couldn't find any numbers. I'd like to get the correct kit before I remove the carb to start working on it; if you could see my "work area/bench" :redface: you would understand.

2. Is there a 'universal' carb kit? I found several kits on feePay and the interweb, but I want to make sure I get the correct one. Also I would like to buy one locally because I need to get the trimmer working ASAP. In my experience with my local dealers, it's usually best to have the correct info before I call around or stop in.

3. Any idea as to what size fuel line I need? I'd rather buy the fuel line separately, over buying a fuel line 'kit.' Yes, I know that I can take in the old fuel line.

TIA for your help!

Chris J.

The carb I install on all FS45, 46, and 55 is part number 4140 120 0619 which is C1Q-S186. The carb is less than $30.00 so I would just throw a new one on there.

The carb I install on all FS45, 46, and 55 is part number 4140 120 0619 which is C1Q-S186. The carb is less than $30.00 so I would just throw a new one on there.

Thanks for the quick reply! Have you had any problems installing the C1Q-S186 if the bad carb is a different Zama? Is "less than $30.00" the normal every day price? I ask because the Sihl dealers around here like to charge full price for their parts, & I don't work on Stihl equip often enough to give them much business.

The IPL shows----C1Q-S71, C1Q-S66, C1Q-S58, C1Q-S53A, & C1Q-S44A.

Thanks for the quick reply! Have you had any problems installing the C1Q-S186 if the bad carb is a different Zama? Is "less than $30.00" the normal every day price? I ask because the Sihl dealers around here like to charge full price for their parts, & I don't work on Stihl equip often enough to give them much business.

The IPL shows----C1Q-S71, C1Q-S66, C1Q-S58, C1Q-S53A, & C1Q-S44A.
The S186 is a replacement for many carbs. It will bolt up just fine, and my list price is 28.99 so I would think it will be around $30 whereever you go.

I acquired a CL fs55 and the carb was full or white corrosion. I bought a new carb like Roll Tide says and the price was like he said.

Installed the carb and the trimmer ran perfect without touching the needles.

Shap and features wise, it was no different than the original carb.

Just buy the carb, have 2 on FS55's. Anything else is a waste of time.

So y'all don't know which carb kit I need ;) :D :laugh:?

Seriously, I'll call around for the C1Q-S186 / 4140 120 0619. I can always hang onto whichever carb is on there now j-i-c I need it later.

So y'all don't know which carb kit I need ;) :D :laugh:?

Seriously, I'll call around for the C1Q-S186 / 4140 120 0619. I can always hang onto whichever carb is on there now j-i-c I need it later.

The sealant on the Welch plugs on the older carbs is bad about flaking off causing the plug to leak or even come out. The sealant on the new carb holds up alot better.

The Zama kits cost @ 13$-$16 from Stihl, I part out the FS45s which take the same carb, I'll sell you one for @ $20 plus $3 shipping.

If your fuel line is green, it should be good to go.

Fish, I appreciate the offer, I might be in touch. For expediency I need to buy it locally, which is not something I normally do (my chainsaws can wait for parts, I need my trimmer running yesterday).

Well correctly go through the carb, and reuse the old gaskets/diaphrams and trim tonight!!!

That thought crossed my mind, but I figured if I was going to the carb down, I might as well put in a kit. And of course a simple fuel filter cleaning/replacing might do the trick, although I'm pretty sure the trimmer is pulling fuel.

EDIT: Dammid, every time I try to rep y'all I get the must spread it around message.

No, take the carb apart and tear it down and clean it, and reassemble. Make sure that the passage under the needle is totally clean, as well as the little jet on the metering side, reassemble.....

The Zama kits cost @ 13$-$16 from Stihl, I part out the FS45s which take the same carb, I'll sell you one for @ $20 plus $3 shipping.

If your fuel line is green, it should be good to go.
Resurrecting an old post, but wondering if this carb C1Q-S186 is the same as the C1Q-S186B? I am looking to replace one off the FS46 trimmer and I'm looking for the one with the plastic fuel line attachments vs the brass ones that leak (as mine is now doing).

Fish, still got yours or did you get rid of it?

Latest posts

Back