Stihl fs 55 rc weed eater will not run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott.T

Reaction score
I know this is not a chainsaw but figured they are similar (being 2 stroke). I recently picked up a used stihl fs 55 rc weed eater. I changed the spark plug and it would start but smoke a bit. There was a bit of oil on it. I figured maybe the fuel mix had too much oil so I emptied it out, pumped the primer until it was empty, then ran it for a few seconds. I put fresh fuel in from my container and now it wont start. I know it is not my fuel since it works in my troy bilt weed eater. I have tried using starter fluid and still nothing. It doesnt make sense to me that it would run one second, then not fire at all the next. It is getting fuel. I havent checked for spark but I dont see why it wouldnt be sparking after a couple seconds of changing out fuel. It seems the fuel mixture would be the issue but like like I said, it works just fine for my other weed eater. Any suggestions?

Start with the basics, do it by the numbers.

Pull the plug again and see if its fouled. One carbon speck in the gap can kill it.

While it is out check for spark. This is a basic required test and there is no sense skipping it.

If that checks out, since it has had time to clear out from any flooded condition, just try it again.

Report back with the results.

HF

Back