Stihl FS 72 Trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zr900

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a FS 72 trimmer and it feels like a bearing in the end of the shaft just above the bump head is bad. I have never worked on this end of a trimmer before other than changing out line and the head once.

Is there a bearing in the end of the shaft?

If so how do i go about changing it?

Not sure. There might be. What is it doing? Could be that your drive shaft is getting week causeing it to woble. My old boss's did that. Take it apart and see what is wrong.

Never had one apart.I have put many hrs on one, but if they are like any other trimmer at the end of the shaft where the head is there is no bearing its more like a bearing surface for a big long spring that is your drive shaft. Why spring? To absorb some shock. Some are driect drive with a clutch. It being a sthil there might be a bearing I don't know. I don't think that the 72 is direct drive but I do believe it has a clutch. If when its idleing and the head is not turning there is a clutch. Were you trying to trim really tall thick over grown weeds at a fast pace with it bogging down the whole time, then it did this? If so the drive spring could be twisted and binding inside the tube it rides in. Take it apart. Can't use it now any way. Remove the screws that hold the power head to the shaft pull it apart and the drive shaft should be right there. One way or another it should slide out. Either from the top or the bottom. Then you will know if it has bearings, shaft or spring drive, clutch or clutchless drive or surplus grass, or something tangled around the trimmer head.

Or better yet get a new 100 rx 4cyl. and come up north here and throw that ol' tired thing in my trash bin. I will take that old Zr off your hands too! Chainsaw.

I was just using it to trim around trees on the golf course. We have a FS 88 and a KM 110 to do the heavy work, but the 72 just does a better job at not barking trees.

I see two needle bearing cages at the base shaft on the FS75. Don't know if it's the same on yours.

Back