Stihl Fuel Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i know this has been brought up eleswhere but i couldn't find the thread,sorry:eek: the caps on my 460 leak and i have had the dealer replace them once already and they still leak:angry: any thoughts on how to fix it???? (no buying a husky doesn't count as fixing it,lol:D )

Hi Ryan,

If these are the screw in type, go to your local HD or Lowes with the cap and buy a round rubber o ring that fits on the cap barrel, push it down to the bottom of the cap head. When you screw in the cap the o ring will compress a little and seal the tank. Do not over tighthen.

Good luck. :cool:

Caps leqking is a real problem with the old style stihl caps. The problem is caused by the use of a flat rubber gasket that distorts when the cap is over tightened. The oring fix sounds like it would work well.

PHP:
these are the new tooless caps

Hi Ryan,

You must mean the new TOPLESS caps ! :Eye: :Eye:

yup, the d@mn things won't stop leaking!!!:angry: i have been thinking about taking the factor O-ring out and relplacing it with a larger one to see if that helps:cool: last week i was bucking some large pin oak and the gas cap came lose and dumped on me:angry: :angry:

caps

There should be no way they can come loose, UNLESS, the tank has a problem. Might want to check against a new tank. I have yet to have one leak or come out. My bet is with the tank. Get it back to Stihl.

it has just a small trickle of a leak, some times it leaks, some times it doesn't:rolleyes: but it is coming from around the cap...when i had it replaced it took about a week and a half before it started leaking again:confused:

I was going to post earlier, but figured someone else would mention it. Stihltech hit the nail on the head. If you have had 2 caps and both leak, then the problem is OBVIOUSLY the other half of the seal. That's the TANK. Hopefully you will bring it back before your warranty runs out.

It's either that or a poor design. I think I'll wait and see how the 'new improved' design holds up for a couple years before getting one.

Jim, i think i have it figured out. i think if i put a larger O ring in place of the factory one that it will get a better seal. the first thing i did was to check for dirt around the seal, clean, started looking around the second seal, nothing. i'm going to take it to the dealer agian tommorrow and see if we can't get it fixed:Monkey:

Brian, got the 460 fixed:blob2: it wasn't the fuel cap this time, it was the air vent for the tank. when felling the gas is right up against the vent and it had a bad diaphragm, got that fixed and so far no more problems:angel:

Back