stihl full wrap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patentpending

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So theres a guy on the local CL who has 2 "sthil" saws for sale. Saw number 1 is an 041 av super with a 20" bar. Saw number 2 i cant read the top or side plates in his picture. It appears to be similar in size but newer. It has an 026/036 etc type chain brake handle. However it also has a full wrap handle and a 25" bar. I was thinking 044 or 036 pro but couldnt find one with the same handle. Any ideas? I know theres aftermarket ones too bit how small of a stihl do they make them for? He is asking 150 for the pair and says they both run but havent in a while. I figure i can get them for 120. So im fairly sure thats a good deal just based off the complete 041super. He is away until wednesday otherwise id go take a look. He said he cant remember the model.

So, would you pull the trigger? Im thinking fix the newer saw and sell it with the 20", and throw the 25" on the 041 and use it as a stumping saw

Any way to tell visibly if its a mag?
I figure the 041 running would be worth 150-200 since its a super. Whats a standard 038 worth? 200 or so maybe?

Allright i plan to pick them up anyways i think. Seems to be a decent deal. Hopefully it turns out to be a pair of 72cc saws

044 would be my guess and the fact it's got a 25 inch bar . Older 044
You can see the curve in the rear cover with the contoured edges on the air cleaner cover. It's almost certainly some version of the 038. The only other option would be the 048 and I wouldn't touch them since parts availability is practically none.

Even a regular 038 with that bar and wrap handle would bring $300 minimum in running condition on ebay.

Post better pics of your find once you buy them.

All the 038 ' s I have seen have that very defined rounded down , short filter cover. The first 044 ' s had a slight rounded down cover, with the contoured edges .could even be a 064 av. Do a Google image search. I had an 038 just doesn't look like one to me. But who knows.

All the 038 ' s I have seen have that very defined rounded down , short filter cover. The first 044 ' s had a slight rounded down cover, with the contoured edges .could even be a 064 av. Do a Google image search. I had an 038 just doesn't look like one to me. But who knows.

Every 044 I have ever seen has square corners with no curved stepped edge. Look at the left and right edges of the air filter cover. they have a stepped shoulder on them. I'd place money on an 038. below pic is a 038 in similar orientation to the pic provided. click on the thumbnail for a re-sized and cropped version of the original pic. I'd also comment on the look of the front muffler cover but it's way more hazzy in the OP's pic.

100_2109.jpg

Attachments

• 00d0d_8AmF0h6tx2w_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_8AmF0h6tx2w_600x450.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 12
Early 044 ' s had the step downs just not curved back as much as the 038. I zoomed in on it too . Also don't know if someone would put a full wrap and 25 on a 038. but maybe. But seriously google 044 you will see the early ones have this filter cover.

Also I can zoom in pretty good with my phone and it looks like there is a repair or something on the top of the filter cover. That doesn't line up right. It may not even have the step down. Let us know when you get em

I've had many of the 044's in my shop, I know what they look like. We'll just have to wait on the OP.

Yeah seller says hell be back home wednesday. Ill have him send me the model number before i go check it out, but i cant imagine anything hed tell me that would change my mind. Shoot i might as well just not ask because i could get him interested enough to google it lol

I'd just tell him the saws are sold and you'll have cash as soon as he wants to meet. Easiest way to expedite the process and keep people from thinking to much.

If you look real close where you guys think the raised area on the cover would be on the right side it does not match up to where the metal model tag would be on my phone its pretty evident it's a piece of tape or something. Not the raised sloping cover of a 038.Screenshot_2014-02-03-15-44-58.png

Latest posts

Back