Stihl gray spray paint

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian farm boy

Stihl learning
Reaction score
So the other day I was at my local TSC store and found this. I figured for the $7CN I'd give it a try. The colour match is very very close to Stihl gray. I don't know how well it will hold up to gas and oil, time will tell. It does seem like a potential option for somebody like me that enjoys rebuilding/restoring saws. Previously I was getting automotive paint custom mixed at my local Car quest store but at $35CN a can. I knew I had to try and find something cheaper. Maybe this is it?image.jpg

Several members through the years have said that TSC Ford Light Gray is about as close a match as one can get. I purchased a spray can of the Ford Light Gray Tractor and Implement paint yesterday, and if the can's lid is accurate, it's a nearly perfect match to the unfaded color I exposed underneath a decal I removed. For protection, some have suggested covering it with polyurethane or some type of clear coat.

I've looked for the light ford gray paint before. I've found it in 1 pint and 1 gallon cans. I asked once about getting it in a spray can and got a real song and dance about having to order it and how they would have to order a whole case. Since I didn't want or need the whole case I just left. I've been looking for a suitable inexpensive paint for a while now. This seems to be pretty good so far....

Is stihl gray spray paint obsolete now?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Ive painted several with the Ford light gray and if not painting the whole saw it clashed with the Stihl paint. The OEM Stihl paint isnt very chemical resistant. For Husqvarna the Valspar Husqvarna orange tractor and implement paint is awesome! The Valspar IH is a grayish/tan color for Stihl if u do the whole thing. This is a 262 painted totally with the Valspar Husky orange20141208_175632.jpg

fbff9a8a29ac94c0872b2e9a03442e98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Several members through the years have said that TSC Ford Light Gray is about as close a match as one can get. I purchased a spray can of the Ford Light Gray Tractor and Implement paint yesterday, and if the can's lid is accurate, it's a nearly perfect match to the unfaded color I exposed underneath a decal I removed. For protection, some have suggested covering it with polyurethane or some type of clear coat.
Hello, is this gray suitable for my Stihl 038?
https://sri-supplies.com/plasti-kot...lement-enamel-old-ford-gray-5339-13-1352.html
Thanks you for all the answers

Attachments

• 5339-13_1.jpg
    5339-13_1.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 23
It is resistant to fuel but it is necessary to wait 2 to 3 weeks for the paint to be completely hardened

Stihl paint is garbage. It has no fuel resistance at all, even if baked.

^^^This. Stihl spray bombs are ******* worthless.

We've discussed this issue here several times. What you want for chainsaws is Valspar Tractor and Implement paint. Fuel resistant and tough. Ford Gray for Stihl. And I forget whether New Kubota Orange is the Hoosky color or Stihl. Just Google Valspar on this site and you'll find the details.

[
Valspar paint for tool, but I think it should be the same for Stihl paint

So the other day I was at my local TSC store and found this. I figured for the $7CN I'd give it a try. The colour match is very very close to Stihl gray. I don't know how well it will hold up to gas and oil, time will tell. It does seem like a potential option for somebody like me that enjoys rebuilding/restoring saws. Previously I was getting automotive paint custom mixed at my local Car quest store but at $35CN a can. I knew I had to try and find something cheaper. Maybe this is it?View attachment 467076
So the other day I was at my local TSC store and found this. I figured for the $7CN I'd give it a try. The colour match is very very close to Stihl gray. I don't know how well it will hold up to gas and oil, time will tell. It does seem like a potential option for somebody like me that enjoys rebuilding/restoring saws. Previously I was getting automotive paint custom mixed at my local Car quest store but at $35CN a can. I knew I had to try and find something cheaper. Maybe this is it?View attachment 467076
You can bake Stihl paint and let it set as long as you want and it's still worthless.
I did not succeed after several weeks of research to find a carrier who agrees to ship here in Quebec gray Stihl paint or Ford light gray aerosol. It's really a problem for me, I can not find any painting that could match for my Stihl

Back