Stihl Grub Screw Tank Vents?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So 084 You negelected and filled with crud?

I've 80s 038/028 that are still OEM and work fine. Keep it simple Brad
Neglected? Keep it simple? Doesn't get any more simple than removing the inferior, failure prone grub screw and installing a factory improved rubber umbrella basket that won't clog up and will flow MUCH more air, as is required by an 084. There's a reason grub screws are no longer used.

I have more problems with the tubing becoming brittle and crumbling before I have problems with them being clogged. I have already replaced the tube with grub screws on my 029/039, twice.

mine wouldn't keep running with a plugged vent, started to slow up like it was running out of fuel. checked the tank and was half full. when I took the cap off it had more pressure then I thought it should have, the vent was plugged.
... Or run lean and toast the top end like what happened to Brad.

The screwdriver slot is @ .03, so the dremel you posted is @ .04, which is quite a bit thicker. The dime is just there for reference, it is @ .07, so I'd have to see this skilled cut before I could believe it, both sides please.....

slot 001.JPG

An 084 burns a lot of fuel. I had a long bar buried in Oak. The saw ran lean because the grub screw caused a vacuum in the tank. The saw was in otherwise perfect condition. I removed the grub screw and installed the orange rubber valve in the tank, as more modern saws use. Problem solved.
Can you show us how you did this?

Latest posts

Back