Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years our local fleet store has sold Poulan and Husqvarna chainsaws, along with Husqvarna and Oregon accessories. They also sold a "plain-label" brand of bar 'n' chain oil that I liked... and I could buy it for as little as $3 on sale sometimes. So I just walked in there about an hour ago, wanting to replace my Husqvarna roller guide (the only Husqvarna thing I use) and thought I'd pick up a gallon of bar oil if some sort of sale was on.

Damn ‼ Couldn't believe my eyes. All the Poulan and Husqvarna stuff is gone... all of it gone... everything. What little bit of Oregon stuff there is has been squeezed onto an end cap. And along a very sizable section of the back wall is a brand new Stihl display... saws, pole saws, weed trimmers, blowers, edgers, and all sorts of accessories, PPE, axes, and whatnot.

And the only friggin' bar 'n' chain oil in the whole friggin' store is Stihl brand... I ain't paying that premium‼
What-the-hell is Stihl doing in a fleet store??
And of even more concern... what-the-hell am I gonna' do about bar oil??

Got a Menards nearby? Run sales all the time @4.99/gallon. I've had no problems with it.
Yeah... two of them, both about 30 miles from me.
And yep... I've used that bar oil without any problem... actually bought some late last fall on sale for $3.99 at the Waterloo store.
Not as handy for me... but I'm on the road enough for work that I drive right by one of the two stores once or twice a month.
Guess I'll haft'a start watching the sales, plan accordingly, and keep a back-up jug or two around.
I'll be damned if I'll pay for that Stihl stuff... they had 4 different jugs and none of it less than $10.00.

But... since when does Stihl set-up in fleet stores??
Thought I remember reading a few posts a while back, can't remember the thread/forum, where Stihl was set up in several fleet stores. I could be wrong though.

Welcome to last week!!!!:lol: Stihl can move more product with greater reach outside of their dealer network by bending their own rules just a little for the mighty dollar. The local fleet store even had a MS441 on the shelf compared to the MS180/250 you usually see. Menards, Walmart or a fleet store that doesn't have Stihl will be your best bet for cheap bar oil.

The Stihl "black gold" is anywhere from $15-18/gallon around here :-(

Our local Husqvarna dealer dumped Husky a few years back and picked up Stihl. Their reason was that Husqvarna also sold through the box stores. Wonder if they'll do the same to Stihl if they find out Stihl is available in a fleet store.... I doubt it.

Now we have 4 or 5 Stihl dealers in a 4 mile radius, and not a Husqvarna or Jonsered dealer to be found. At least ones that can sell the XP/pro grades.. Grrrr

For years our local fleet store has sold Poulan and Husqvarna chainsaws, along with Husqvarna and Oregon accessories. They also sold a "plain-label" brand of bar 'n' chain oil that I liked... and I could buy it for as little as $3 on sale sometimes. So I just walked in there about an hour ago, wanting to replace my Husqvarna roller guide (the only Husqvarna thing I use) and thought I'd pick up a gallon of bar oil if some sort of sale was on.

Damn ‼ Couldn't believe my eyes. All the Poulan and Husqvarna stuff is gone... all of it gone... everything. What little bit of Oregon stuff there is has been squeezed onto an end cap. And along a very sizable section of the back wall is a brand new Stihl display... saws, pole saws, weed trimmers, blowers, edgers, and all sorts of accessories, PPE, axes, and whatnot.

And the only friggin' bar 'n' chain oil in the whole friggin' store is Stihl brand... I ain't paying that premium‼
What-the-hell is Stihl doing in a fleet store??
And of even more concern... what-the-hell am I gonna' do about bar oil??
menards....been running that fvp..and its some good stuff

I wish around here I could catch bar oil that cheap like some of y'all catch it on sale. No fleet stores around here for sure. Shipping would kill me...a gal of it probably weighs a little more than 8lbs...I'd never make out. TSC's around here but I can't get their stuff or off brand stuff no cheaper than my mil discount at HD buying gallons of Echo Premium Bar and Chain Oil.

Could always save the old engine oil out of your pickup when it gets changed .
I do save it... use it for dust control on the driveway and starting slash/trash pile fires.
If I start getting too much collected, I just walk along the wood stacks and pour on the top (adds to the BTUs and makes a fine water repellant :D).
Oh... and if ya' have a problem groundhog, pouring a gallon or two down the hole will cause 'em to vacate the den permanently.
But I don't want that filthy stuff in my saw ‼

Even the 'cheap' stuff is over $10/jug up here.

I bought a couple of cases in Aylesford at 8$ a gallon , the "cheap" stuff here in town is around 12.95$ and if I get the right girl at the counter I can get Stihl for 13.49$ a gallon from my local green store .
Long gone is the 4$ a gallon stuff up here :(

Rural King here is selling Stihl power equipment too as well as their over priced b&c oil. TSC is the other store that sells cheap b&c oil for now. Our TSC dropped Husky saws and now sells Jonsered.

Rural King here is selling Stihl power equipment too as well as their over priced b&c oil. TSC is the other store that sells cheap b&c oil for now. Our TSC dropped Husky saws and now sells Jonsered.
TSC's here in mid-Ga still sell both Husky and Jonsered. I'm sure it's liable to change like the wind at anytime...who knows. Business money talks, BS walks theory.

How long does a gallon last you guys that you gotta shop around for cheap oil. $4.00 a year to cut wood hardly seems like it will put a strain on anyone's budget.
I run through a couple of gallons, maybe a little more each year, and I'm in mid-Ga. I cut for myself and a couple of family folks. Surely you fellas up north, Midwest, burn through that little bit of bar oil and then some each season. I'd certainly think. Now I don't have the yrs of C/S/S'd wood that some of you folks do, but ya gotta pay for the bar oil regardless at some point, righto?

I run through a couple of gallons, maybe a little more each year, and I'm in mid-Ga. I cut for myself and a couple of family folks. Surely you fellas up north, Midwest, burn through that little bit of bar oil and then some each season. I'd certainly think. Now I don't have the yrs of C/S/S'd wood that some of you folks do, but ya gotta pay for the bar oil regardless at some point, righto?
I cut eight cord and go through about one half of a gallon per year maybe less.

Latest posts

Back