Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm sounds like the store you could be referring to starts with the letter B and ends in ars. I drive my there new mega million dollar warehouse everyday. Our 2 stores had a lot of husqvarna piece parts on clearance. Echo and Stihl only now. Still some chain and bars on the shelf at regular price

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bomgaars recently picked up Echo and dropped Husqvarna. A few of their stores carry Stihl, not sure how they pick which ones. You still can get their brand bar oil Lube-one I picked up for $5.99 , I think Mag oil, and Echo oil.

My Stihl dealer had it for $7.00 a gallon last time I was there.

What about using cheap motor oil, like 20w-50? I'm sure Wallymart sells gallon or 5qt jugs pretty inexpensive? Heck, even straight 30w can be had for less than $2 a quart, I'm sure that would be just fine?

But... since when does Stihl set-up in fleet stores??

I have run across 2 different Fleet stores, Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm. Which one are you referring to? The Farm and Fleet near me switched over to a very large Stihl display about a year ago now. I think it's a bunch of BS. They couldn't service anything if they tried and all of the guys around that have been setup as regular dealers forever are getting crapped on!

That's what we all used to run here. We bought it for cheap at a gas station/saw shop where they filtered it. My 032 that I ran then is still going and even winning races at the PNW gathering.
Gypologger has a thread going on right now ,he has been running used clean hydraulic oil but ran out ,and is now using used engine oil

Gypologger has a thread going on right now ,he has been running used clean hydraulic oil but ran out ,and is now using used engine oil
For performance purposes I don't see a thing wrong with running used filtered oil, especially hydraulic oil. However, used engine oil makes a black mess of the saw and whatever is around it so not worth it to me for that reason alone.

On another note I see Spidey has succeeded in cultivating an all-out oil thread in the firewood forum. Crafty little bastige, isn't he LOL

Theisen's Home-Farm-Auto

http://www.theisens.com/
What-the-hell is Stihl doing in a fleet store??
Looks like it is a larger version (with 22 locations) that is similar to my go-to store http://www.landmsupply.com/locations, which have the best Stihl prices around.

While they are a chain, I am assuming they offer at least some form of mechanical repairs which qualify them to be a "full service" dealer for Stihl as does L and M.

Curious about something...I could google it but what the hell's the fun in that. What is the process of 'straining/filtering' used motor oil?...Surely, lol, a little more process than what I use to strain/filter, high dollar LouAna peanut oil after a fish fry, through cheese cloth to get all the goodies out, to re-use.

Do they re-refine it somehow? A buddy of mine many yrs ago, his dad used to drive a fairly large tanker truck and collect used motor oil...what happened to it after that, I had and still have no idea. Again, just curious...

Curious about something...I could google it but what the hell's the fun in that. What is the process of 'straining/filtering' used motor oil?...Surely, lol, a little more process than what I use to strain/filter, high dollar LouAna peanut oil after a fish fry, through cheese cloth to get all the goodies out, to re-use.

Do they re-refine it somehow? A buddy of mine many yrs ago, his dad used to drive a fairly large tanker truck and collect used motor oil...what happened to it after that, I had and still have no idea. Again, just curious...
My understanding is that it is just strained through a fine filter to get rid of any particulate that may have ended up in the used oil barrel ie stuff like dirt or rust that fell off the vehicle into the drain pan when the oil was being drained or metal shavings from a failed part.

A lot of shops around here have furnaces that burn used oil. It gets strained a couple of times and then sprayed into a burner in a fine mist. Basically they save up all of the used oil all year and it heats the shop for most or all of the winter. They keep oil tanks inside though as it would sludge up if stored outside. Sometimes they do need to cut it with diesel if there was lots of heavy oil in a specific batch.

For performance purposes I don't see a thing wrong with running used filtered oil, especially hydraulic oil. However, used engine oil makes a black mess of the saw and whatever is around it so not worth it to me for that reason alone.

On another note I see Spidey has succeeded in cultivating an all-out oil thread in the firewood forum. Crafty little bastige, isn't he LOL

Looks like it is a larger version (with 22 locations) that is similar to my go-to store http://www.landmsupply.com/locations, which have the best Stihl prices around.

While they are a chain, I am assuming they offer at least some form of mechanical repairs which qualify them to be a "full service" dealer for Stihl as does L and M.
...Never underestimate the abilities of an arachnid, lol.

This is what i have been running ,think it is about 9 bucks ,is red in color ,i can get it cheaper in bulk also out of the gas pumps also , fill my 5 gallon cans with it ,i bet you east coasties wish could get bar oil from the pumps eh ?Pump 7 is bar oil ,pump 10 is where i get my 15-40 bar oil 001 sm.jpg bar oil 002.JPG mobil 1 oil 002.JPG mobil 1 oil 003.JPG

My understanding is that it is just strained through a fine filter to get rid of any particulate that may have ended up in the used oil barrel ie stuff like dirt or rust that fell off the vehicle into the drain pan when the oil was being drained or metal shavings from a failed part.

A lot of shops around here have furnaces that burn used oil. It gets strained a couple of times and then sprayed into a burner in a fine mist. Basically they save up all of the used oil all year and it heats the shop for most or all of the winter. They keep oil tanks inside though as it would sludge up if stored outside. Sometimes they do need to cut it with diesel if there was lots of heavy oil in a specific batch.
I gotcha...basically atomizing the spray, kinda like the ol' fuel injector theory. Makes sense to me.

This is what i have been running ,think it is about 9 bucks ,is red in color ,i can get it cheaper in bulk also out of the gas pumps also , fill my 5 gallon cans with it ,i bet you east coasties wish could get bar oil from the pumps eh ?Pump 7 is bar oil ,pump 10 is where i get my 15-40 View attachment 450679 View attachment 450680 View attachment 450681 View attachment 450683
Yep, you're correct Sir...nothing like that around here. Never seen pumps like that.

Very handy if need oil after work or sundays when the shops are closed up .
I bet it is handy. They may have pumps like that in northern Ga, Zoggs could probably chime in, but never seen anything like those pumps. Amazing how geographic/climate changes everything. I hope this winter ain't rough on you guys in the NE, Midwest, upper pacific states. Almanac says one thing, predictions from the weather guessers another. It's a damn crap shoot...I say the hell with it, pop a Bud Light, flip a quarter, lol. Ya get the weather good or bad.

Latest posts

Back