Stihl has stolen my source of cheap bar oil ‼

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Saturday, I picked up 2 gallons of Countyline bar oil at my local TSC for $7 each. That's about as cheap as it gets here. Local Echo dealer used to carry Stihl bar oil for some reason, don't know where he got it but it was the only Stihl branded product he had, sold for $8/gallon. I used to buy it there all the time until he started selling Echo oil for $12.99 a gallon.

What I believe is not being mentionend in this thread is the different type of oils used in bar lube and of course the resulting differences in price. The different type of oils would be

1. Dino = mineral oil
As far as I have understood, it is often used engine oil that has been idustrialy filtered and had takifiers added. This type of oil is cheap, usually in the 5-10$/gallon range. Of course it is also environmentally a major problem! And here in Europe more or less bannend in all public and larger privat forests. Even the harvesters, that lube their chains through the hydraulic systems, often require the non mineral oil type, as far as I have understood.

2. Bio = canola / rapseed oil
This is often blended with preservatives and takifiers so that it has, usually at least a 5 year shelf life. This type of oil is expensive, usually in the 15-25$/gallon range, when bought in premixed version. It is evironmentally not a problem at all. Here in Europe it is the main type of oil used.
The premixed "brand" version which contains takifiers, etc. is what I use only in saws with a bar length above 18-20inch. Below bar length I use just regular canola / rapseed oil from the supermarket. Just the cheapest brand, usually around 3 - 4$ a gallon. The lubrication is no problem whatsoever for shorter bar lengths so this is what I use a LOT. And for me there are absolutely NO price savings compared to the dino oil!
What can be a problem is that the canola / rapseed oil can deteriorate and harden (almost like a glue) when used only infrequently = once a year or less often. I use it in my regular saws but also have some dino=mineral bar oil at hand if the saw is then stored for prolonged time. I usually run the last filling then with mineral oil. This procedure is what I use in my less frequent used saws (f.e. contra, 040, etc.)

Hey Whitespider which farm store are you referring to about switching to Stihl stuff, I live in eastern Iowa also. Don't remember seeing any bar oil for less than the Harvest King stuff for $4.99 at Theisens. They also have Xtreme bar oil that is good for $6.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Whitespider which farm store are you referring to about switching to Stihl stuff, I live in eastern Iowa also. Don't remember seeing any bar oil for less than the Harvest King stuff for $4.99 at Theisens. They also have Xtreme bar oil that is good for $6.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Farm and Fleet in Davenport switched.

I use County line Bar Oil from TSC. It's $8/gallon here. I don't use old spent motor oil at all. Used motor oil is not good enough to lubricate a chain & bar. I use the Stihl 2 Cycle Synthetic as well, it's pricey but it doesn't smoke much and my saws run great. I aint rich but I'm not gonna cheap-out on the basics.

My cousin is a gypo logger on Oregon Coast for himself with one other cousin, he also uses the 15-40 oil out of his equipment after a service and hasn't had any issues with his bars or chains. Hand falls 98% of his jobs and also about 12 cord of firewood a year

Alright, where's the cheapest bar oil in MN right now? I need to purchase at least two gallons as I'm down to about 2 quarts on hand.

!! in chucker;s garage !! where else ? need to stock up too, as soon as the price drops.... lol
Lol. Pickup/delivery charge might be a bit steep.

I know you guys get it cheap mid winter. Maybe I'll just pick up a gallon to start and wait for wintertime specials. In reality I'll probably only do a couple more cords this fall.

It's a few miles out of my normal travels but close enough to make it worth the stop.

I need to go to HD and WM tonight so I will see what they have first.

Got a gallon from Walmart to tide me over for $7.97. Man that stuff is thin. I really liked the stuff from Menards that @chucker gave me a gallon of this spring. I'll hold off for more until they put it on sale.

288e0177d03d5539e03e03f9e0dd708b.jpg

Best stuff I've found, it's what they call all season runs me about 8 a gallon. Thick enough to run all summer and light enough I can pour it in freezing weather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It's available in the PNW through a company called Christensen oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Back