Stihl HS-82R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Been thinking about buying one. I've read the reviews and it seems to come across as a good machine. But, I'd still like to hear some reviews from some of you if you have one or used one at one time.

hs82r.png

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/hedge-trimmers/professional-hedge-trimmers/hs82r/

Can't review but I can say it's on my list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can find a dealer who will discount anything Stihl you have a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rain(s) has subsided for a few days supposedly, and we're gonna have a few garage sales. We always do well when we have them. We have a ton of stuff this time.

The wife and I always split the proceeds right down the middle. My goal is to sell enough crap to pay for the hedge trimmer 100%.

That's my plan anyways.............:happy:

I've never been a big fan of such long two sided blades. Personally I prefer 20", and that's what I habitually use.

Keep in mind despite Stihl having nothing short of a stranglehold on professional equipment here, their hedge trimmers don't get much love. Echo's seem to be the favorite right now with the odd Honda four stroke. I am very curious about these four stroke trimmers (Shindaiwa has a couple C4 engined units available) but I've never had the occasion to try them out.

The Stihl God(s) smiled upon me today. I ended up buying my hedge trimmer from Cal-Ranch. I got 10% off MSRP for applying for one of their credit cards.

I ended up with the 24" cutting blade rather than the 30" blade. Primarily, because that's the only one they stocked. 30" blade was special order only. :rolleyes:

Stihl.JPG Stihl2.JPG

I fired it up today for the 1st time. I didn't have anything yet to cut, but I was curious as to how it sounded and run. It's pretty quiet, not loud and obnoxious.

I wasn't sure if it had a clutch, or if the cutting blades moved all the time. It has a clutch. This is my first gas-powered hedge trimmer. I've had electric ones, and they were okay, but didn't have the power a gas unit makes. That, and I'm not a big fan of power cords tripping you up when you least expect it.

Oh yeah, and it has an actual exhaust pipe. Cute little devil it is. It directs the exhaust to the cutting blade.

I walked around my property with the trimmer in my hand, to give the big weeds a chance to see what they're going to be up against. From the looks of it, it had them shaking in their stalks. :crazy2: Either that, or it was windy out. :innocent:

Forgot to mention, that when I bought it from CAL-RANCH, I told them that I didn't want them to service it. I told them I'd buy it right off the shelf and I'd do it. They didn't mind at all.

Congrats on the buy. Looks real nice!

Thanks! Truth-be-told, I could have done just fine w/o buying one. I have two elec. hedge trimmers that are getting on in age. A neighbor wants to buy one of them from me, and has for over two years. Looks like now, he'll get his wish. I'm going to just give it to him for free.

But, people deserve little rewards in life from time to time. When I buy a new Stihl power tool, that's my little reward. I've earned it and then some. I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or waste money haphazardly. Financially, I'm very responsible, and have been since a kid.

Anyways, my wife understands my passion for outdoor power equip. They keep me out of bars and trouble. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. :)

I used my new hedge trimmer today and did some selective eradication of heavy-duty weeds that are weed-whacker resistant. It cut thru them like a red-hot blade thru butter.

This is going to make it so much easier for me when it comes time to weed-whack. Some of those weed stalks were almost 3/4" in dia. In the past, when using my FS-250R weed whacker, I'd have to stop and either pull them out by hand or dig them up with a small shovel.

Now, I'll simply take my hedge trimmer and make a pass or two to get rid of the big weeds before I use my string trimmer.

I now feel like I'm back in control. :rock:

Latest posts

Back