Stihl HT-131 Angle Drive

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Anyone ever use one of these before? http://www.dlsmallplant.co.uk/products/Stihl-Angled-gearhead--%2d-4138-640-0201.html

I have a chance to pick up a new one for a decent price. It looks as if it could come in handy at times.

My main concern is if the gears are mounted in bearings, bushings, or sleeves? It's not a cheap item and bushings or sleeves would not justify it's price and would be a deal-breaker for me.

TIA!

I looked pretty hard at that item a couple of years ago and it seems it is designed more to trim the top of bushes flat as opposed to get a better downward cut on high limbs. Sorry I can't answer your question the thought about that never crossed my mind. However unless there are two bearings on each shaft the bushing might be better.

I looked pretty hard at that item a couple of years ago and it seems it is designed more to trim the top of bushes flat as opposed to get a better downward cut on high limbs. Sorry I can't answer your question the thought about that never crossed my mind. However unless there are two bearings on each shaft the bushing might be better.

My local Stihl dealer has one in stock, but it's price prohibitive. I just might stop by and take a look at it in person. They might have an employee that knows whether or not the gears are bearing supported.

I doubt that they would take it apart for me..............:laugh:

Bearings...4 of them actually...two per pinion gear shaft. Should be a solid unit, never used one tho

Edit: frannie k nailed it!! Missed the last sentence.

I sent a message to Stihl Inc., and asked them about whether or not, the angle drive attachment had bearings or bushings.

I received this reply: The 30 degree angle drive pinions are mounted in grooved ball bearings. If they would have just said ball bearings, I would feel a little better.

But, when they said "grooved" ball bearings, is that like saying there are grooves in the casting, and individual ball bearings are riding in that groove, supporting the pinions?

I received an exploded parts diagram from the seller. The pinion gears are indeed, supported by double ball bearings on the shaft of each gear. It appears to be a pretty healthy set-up. The gears are lubed and sealed, as it does not have a grease-gun fitting.

Anyways, now I'm wondering if I would use it enough to justify buying it. Does anyone know, or has anyone used this angle adapter on a pole pruner? Is it specifically designed or intended to be used in any special way?

Jus looking for a little advice and/or guidance.

TIA!

Did you put grooved bearing into google or similar?
As I stated in post 2 and got agreement in post 4 cutting parallell to the ground seems to be the main design criteria for this item. The ht131 is pretty floppy stretched out all the way without any added accessories. How many acres in fruit trees do you have or give some sort of idea along those lines.

I use mine all the time. Adds a few inches of reach and gets the bar a little more over the top so on full extension I am less likely to pinch. Also lets me make an undercut easier as well. It may rob a little horsepower through the gears but not much and not really noticeable on the HT 131.
HTH
BTW all ball bearings in STIHL literature are called Grooved

Did you put grooved bearing into google or similar?
As I stated in post 2 and got agreement in post 4 cutting parallell to the ground seems to be the main design criteria for this item. The ht131 is pretty floppy stretched out all the way without any added accessories. How many acres in fruit trees do you have or give some sort of idea along those lines.

No, I didn't Google grooved bearings. I did see your reply as well as that of big t double. Both responses were appreciated and welcomed.

I don't have acres of fruit trees, or any acres of any trees for that matter. But, I do trim trees for others and I was curious as to the angle drive unit and if it might be a good addition to my HT-131. So far, I've done fine w/o it. I don't trim shrubs or the like. It seems that people are much more concerned about how a shrub turns out, vs. a tree that was trimmed. I'm no artist when it comes to shrubs.

Anyways, I'm going to give it a little more thought and mull it over in my mind. At least now I feel better that it is a good solid unit and up to snuff.

At the top of the Cannon page there is a specialty section, that is where you will find the angled bars. I dont know how to link using this phone, however I just checked the site and it was still there.

At the top of the Cannon page there is a specialty section, that is where you will find the angled bars. I dont know how to link using this phone, however I just checked the site and it was still there.

Okay, I found it. http://cannonbar.com/chainsawbars/specb_polepruner.html

I was looking for a angle attachment, more like what the Stihl Angle Drive is. I never considered getting a bar that was angled.

I received an exploded parts diagram from the seller. The pinion gears are indeed, supported by double ball bearings on the shaft of each gear. It appears to be a pretty healthy set-up. The gears are lubed and sealed, as it does not have a grease-gun fitting.

Anyways, now I'm wondering if I would use it enough to justify buying it. Does anyone know, or has anyone used this angle adapter on a pole pruner? Is it specifically designed or intended to be used in any special way?

Jus looking for a little advice and/or guidance.

TIA!
I had one it broke when I dropped it . The standard one is all you need we never used the angle anyway. You really don't need it.

Latest posts

Back