Stihl MS 241 c-m questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl builds a high quality saw, with very good resale value.......they are worth more because of that.

Period.
Only if you intend to sell it. If you are a home firewood cutter who buys a saw with the intent of using it until is of basically no value anymore, like you would many other tools, then resale value is irrelevant. I have never sold a saw and don't ever intend to, so I am more interested in value on the front end - what capability I can get for the money I pay.

Things like power tools are poor financial investments, or maybe it is better to say poor stores of long term value, so the whole resale argument is suspect in my view. If you are a homeowner and buy a $1000 saw, in ten years it is yard sale material. The value of that same saw in use at a tree service is used up in a much shorter time. Enthusiasts like on AS create a market for saws that are not too old or have not been used up, but that market is small and likely to disappear if economic troubles persist, and people's disposable income and/or access to credit is reduced.

all this talk about weight in these saws is amusing. We basically are passing judgement over a weight difference that boils down to a can of beer. Weight differences should be absolutely irrelevant in this class of saw.

In the 50cc class I can sort of agree but there is a reasonable difference between let's say the MS241 and MS261.
That can of beer may not sound like much but when you are going not stop all day with arms outstretched with the majority being limbing that can of beer makes a huge difference. I'm not a little guy and my "chainsaw fitness" is pretty good which helps but even I notice the difference. It's not enough to make tears well up in my eyes or make me want a hug but my arms certainly notice the difference.
If you're just dropping saws into logs all day then the weight difference isn't really noticeable as the log holds the weight.

Oh and I'm talking to the arborist who bought my 5100-S and he's not fussed if I buy it back off him :)

While the 550xp and the 346xp are quite close to the MS241 in weight, the MS261 and the 5100S (or 5105) are quite a bit heavier.
The worst with those saws (261 and 5100/5105) aren't really the weight alone though, but in combination with an inboard clutch (that puts the bar too far from the centre of mass off the powerhead), the handling quality (specially when limbing) is seriously degraded in comparison.
Also, in stock form they lack the "explosive" throttle response of the 50cc Husky saws.

While the 550xp and the 346xp are quite close to the MS241 in weight, the MS261 and the 5100S (or 5105) are quite a bit heavier.
The worst with those saws (261 and 5100/5105) aren't really the weight alone though, but in combination with an inboard clutch (that puts the bar too far from the centre of mass off the powerhead), the handling quality (specially when limbing) is seriously degraded in comparison.
Also, in stock form they lack the "explosive" throttle response of the 50cc Husky saws.

Interesting. I've probably done more limbing than 95% of AS members and haven't found the balance an issue at all. You can notice it but it's clutching at straws (pardon the pun!) to say it's a major problem.
Maybe I just had a good 5100-S but the only stock saws I have used with better throttle response are my 200T and 550XP.
Weight can be an issue, even small amounts, but the balance isn't as bad as you make it sound. Once again this is all subjective depending on the user but the Huskys are top shelf 50cc saws, no doubt about it.

Just something I posted in another thread, that is relevant here;

"It is several years since I first saw and handled a 241, but I never really tried one - I simply don't see any use for that saw, or the PS-420/421, or the Husky 543xp, when the alternative is the 346xp or 550xp. If the alternative was the MS261 or the 50cc Dolmars, it would be different though."

People are different though, as are the conditions they use their saws under.

Interesting. I've probably done more limbing than 95% of AS members and haven't found the balance an issue at all. You can notice it but it's clutching at straws (pardon the pun!) to say it's a major problem.
Maybe I just had a good 5100-S but the only stock saws I have used with better throttle response are my 200T and 550XP.
Weight can be an issue, even small amounts, but the balance isn't as bad as you make it sound. Once again this is all subjective depending on the user but the Huskys are top shelf 50cc saws, no doubt about it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree (again) then, but it does tell me something that you put the non-xp 353 as high on your list as you did. :D

Agreed

I have been cutting professionally mostly part time but full time as well for over 30 years. (Logs hard and soft, firewood and pulp) In all that time I have never said nor heard another cutter ever say he wished his XYZ saw had an outboard clutch for better handling. I have on the other hand, myself included, sworn at the blankity blank outboard clutch when I got the bar pinched and couldn't get the darn powerhead off. Of course if it was a 10 inch dia. softwood pecker pole I was stuck in, I could have just lifted the end myself or pushed the tree over by hand and got it free.

In short what you're politely alluding to MCW, is sometimes people really need to get out in the woods and cut to find out what is really important, what is BS, and what really happens when Mr. Murphy rears his head.

As to the PS5100S, yea I still got mine. The 346XP is gone. For all around work I in the woods or cutting on a pile of treelength firewood with a 50cc saw the 5100 is hard to beat. The 346 may have spooled up faster but in the big picture of cutting for a day, that means nothing when you think of the time spent when you have to rebalance yourself for safety, move a branch out of the way, clear the puckerbrush so you can access the cut etc. etc. I guess my question if anyone would care to address it, at the end of the day how many more board feet or cord could be produced using the difference in spool up time between a 5100 vs. a 346? Don't get me wrong, I liked my 346XP but it was not worth keeping two 50cc saws with such close performance.

As to the original discussion, in talking to the NE Stihl rep, as hard as it may be to believe, the MS241C-M was not created for cutting softwood pecker poles. It was developed with the arborist industry in mind as an alternative bucket saw to the MS200T/201T/192T as the big utility companies and their contractors are going away from top handle in the bucket trucks per increased pressure from their insurance carriers. It's a viable alternative as the companies' inventory of bars and chains is a direct fit so there is no need to resupply all the trucks or obsolete valuable inventory. I've been at the Stihl dealer when CL&P comes in for their order. It's on pallets that get loaded with forks on the skidsteer. We're not talking about 2 or 3 bars and a half dozen chains here.

As to fuel usage, once again in the bucket truck applications the last thing you want is the operator going up and down 60 or so feet, or stopping just to fill his saw. I help my buddy, an independent tree service from time to time when he needs extra ground crew. One job a few months ago down time due to fuel was absolutely critical. He was doing a removal and had a crane brought in. Every minute he could shave off the crane time on site was big money. He had his two MS201Ts in the bucket and borrowed my MS200T as well just to eliminate stopping and wasting time and money. Once again it's the market and how the saw is used that makes fuel usage critical. Just because it matters not to some to others it's huge.

One other reason, secondary to the arborist use for the MS241C-M is with the big price jump in the MS261C-M here in the US. Dealers wanted a saw to sell to prosumers as an upgrade, but still hit that $500 or so price point. This is where having the 18 inch bar 3/8 Picco PS3 combo makes it an attractive alternative at that particular price point.

Well I'm sure I've worn out my welcome by now, MCW, keep dropping those trees and battling the BS.

Take Care

I have both a Snellerized 241cm and a Snellerized 261cm and they both have attitudes. You can't tell the difference between them until the wood gets over 10" and then the torque of the 261 really shines. But------ why use a heavier saw to cut all the smaller limbs? My 241 weighs 13.2 lb and the 261 weighs 15 lb. ready to cut with 16" bars and .325 chain. I use 100LL at 40:1 with Stihl Ultra because it's the only high quality fuel available without alcohol. Both my saws are at about 195 lb compression and have advanced timing and the like the 100LL. I seldom use my bigger saws because these 2 put a smile on my face. And I cut hedge 80% of the time. These sure work for me.

I didnt think the m-tron's liked any ignition advance ?

All M-Tronics need is a removed spark arrester and 5 tanks no need for anything else except......maybe some square filed chain?

Is that a dig against mike, or have you actually run a C-M for 5 tanks?
Funny you even mention Mike lol....i have run an MTronic 261 and 441 enough to know they're nice saws, but my Husky dealer treats me better so thats what i use. I know they're cheap and flimsy but they feel better to me too.

Funny you even mention Mike lol....i have run an MTronic 261 and 441 enough to know they're nice saws, but my Husky dealer treats me better so thats what i use. I know they're cheap and flimsy but they feel better to me too.
Oh. Do you spend a lot of time at the husqy dealer buying parts to keep flimsy saws held together enough to cut wood?

Greetings from a fairly new member

Backgroiund: I currently own a 5 YO Husky 450 with an 18" bar and a newer Stihl 211 with a 14 & 16" bar. Both work fine for the most part.

Due to a 4000+ elevation and 80+ degree temperature variation over which I might use the 'bigger saw' I'm thinking of upgrading the bigger of my saws (the 450) to a saw with autotune. I'm pretty much convinced the best option for me would be a Stihl 241 or 261 just so that everything would be 'brand similar'. So here's my dilemma: I would prefer to go the 241 (over the 261) route due to the lighter weight but the US version is only offered in a 16" max bar length. I'm OK with 16" for 90% of what I'd use the saw for but there is the occasion when I'd like to run an 18" bar. I.e. I'd probably sell the 450 just so I don't have a shelf full of saws. :dizzy:

The very curious thing is that the 241 is offered with an 18" bar in the UK but only a 16" bar in the US.
http://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...insaws-for-forestry/21936-130/MS-241-C-M.aspx

Does anyone know if US dealers would setup a 241 with an 18" bar or optionally if running that bar long length would somehow violate the US warranty or have the Stihl gods PO'd at me? My WAG is that this shorter bar length is a certification/lawyer issue but that's just a guess! The fallback route would be to just purchase an 18" bar/chain 'on the sly' or go with the heavier 261.

Thanks for any constructive advise!

cheers
JohnG
4 pages ago this was the question.

The OP wants an autotune/mtronic saw. He has his eyes in a 241, others would choose something else because of their own needs and the advice as to why has been given over and over.

Surely we can all agree that the 241 is a top quality saw that will be still cutting wood long after the initial price has been forgotten. It's not my idea of a "big" saw, but that's fine. It has many good points and it's downsides are only in comparison to saws that the OP isn't considering - all though he suggested in a later post he would look at a husky 545/550 as well.
My guess is he will really enjoy a 241, and down the track decide he wants a 60/70cc saw and will add to his collection.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree (again) then, but it does tell me something that you put the non-xp 353 as high on your list as you did. :D

That 353 was just a really good saw. In smaller trees people may find it amusing but when falling you can actually have a saw that cuts simply too fast to be controllable. The 550XP even with .325" is just too fast in the trees I'm in - remember that despite being small they still have to be accurately felled so the alignment of the cuts is critical. The 353 was a really good compromise between the size of the 241C, and the crazy grunt of the 550XP. Just a great saw for this particular job and if I didn't have to carve something out of my 40-50cc lineup I'd still have it. I reached a point where I had that many saws that did a similar job that something had to go.
I actually tried running my ported 7900 with 3/8" full chisel in these trees and it was simply stupid fast to the point I had no idea where the cuts were or where the trees were going to go :)
You know I respect you a lot Niko and there will always be things we don't agree on. Overall though we tend to agree on 98% of things :D

Back