Stihl MS-241 (pro$) or Stihl MS-201 (farm$$$)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matemike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I WAS looking for a top handle saw for light ground work of limbing and trimming brush, vines, shrubs and small trees. However, thanks to the expertise on this site I have been steered clear of using a T handle for such work.

So I've been researching the lightest and nicest rear handle saw I can find. Planned use are same as above: brush thinning, branch cutting, ground work. I'd really like to stick with Stihl because...it's a STIHL. Never had one and this will hopefully be a one time, long term purchase. BTW I tend to be tough on equipment, even just as a home owner. I always put things away clean and tidy and very orderly. And I'll maintain the saw as per or better than manufacturer suggestions. I just tend to be rough when working and getting after it. Onto the saws:

I REALLY like the MS-201 C-EM for it's light weight and features. It has a metal bumper spike, metal chain catcher, and M tronic engine. Supposedly this model has been improved since the first 201's came out. Only problem is that the price tag for this "farm and ranch" saw is in the $700 range.

The MS-241 C-M has all the same features as the 201, but it is over a pound heavier. It does have more power and costs about $150 less from what I can tell. But I really don't need the extra power for what I need to do with the saw. The real difference and my quest to find the perfect saw is all in the weight savings.

My main question here is what else would I be getting with a "pro" saw in the 241? I've heard things like the pro saws have titanium stators and can be rebuilt much easier. So why is it cheaper that the 201?

Lastly, still on the list is a MS 193 C-E. It is the lightest and cheapest price out of all. It has no metal bumper spike or steel chain catcher; all that stuff is plastic. No M tronic either. I really like the $400 price tag, but the power of the 193 is not even hitting 1.8 bhp. Will I want more should I ever need to buck a whole tree after a storm?

In full disclosure I've never used one but cannot fathom paying $700 for a 35 cc saw.

I owned a 241 and it was a real nice saw but I just didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I think you'd be very happy with it. It cut ok with a 16" bar but really ran well with a 14" bar. The Mtronic really impressed me.

If needed the 241 will run an 18” bar. I run a 16” with 7 pin rim sprocket, comes with 6 stock, and it’s great. I had it ported and now it’s even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are considering a 241, you might as well look at the 026/26X series saws. The main difference between the two is the cylinder bore and piston stroke, with the lowers being the same. Needless to saw there is very little weight difference between the two powerheads. My go to saw for the type of work you are doing is a MS260 with a 16" .325 bar driven by a 8 pin sprocket.

201 is every bit the “pro” saw the 241 is.

The differences are power, weight, and handling. Specs in a sheet (or webpage) only tell part of the story. If you want a tail handle version of the 201t, then the 201 is what you want. If you want a small, light regular chainsaw, then the 241 is now a contender. It also has much more grunt.

I think the 241 with a 12” bar is a killer combo for the work you are contemplating.

Agree with computeruser, MS201 is 100% pro grade chainsaw (I run & own one). The reason the 201 is the price it is is due to its compact & perfectly balanced design. You can balance the top handle on one finger & the saw is in a flat position. There is a lot more engineering and design that goes into them. If you want a super light setup, they are fantastic saws. Make sure you get a light bar with it if you buy one, preferably 14".

201 is every bit the “pro” saw the 241 is.

The differences are power, weight, and handling. Specs in a sheet (or webpage) only tell part of the story. If you want a tail handle version of the 201t, then the 201 is what you want. If you want a small, light regular chainsaw, then the 241 is now a contender. It also has much more grunt.

I think the 241 with a 12” bar is a killer combo for the work you are contemplating.
I was wondering if the 201 was just a rear handle version of the 201t. It sure didn't make sense being a $700 farm/ranch saw. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I was wondering if the 201 was just a rear handle version of the 201t. It sure didn't make sense being a $700 farm/ranch saw. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

It shouldn’t be labeled farm and ranch. Was on the bar or box?

Honest opinion here... My first saw was an MS 211. I now have a 261cm tronic, MS 440, 066 should be out of the shop any day and 076 AV. So yeah CAD got me. However, the ms 211 has been running strong since 2006, great, lightweight saw. Fish gill muffler mod made her even better. That being said I have heard the same kind of things about the MS231. But if you are going to spend that kind of money on a 241cm why wouldn't you just get an MS 261 CM?

Honest opinion here... My first saw was an MS 211. I now have a 261cm tronic, MS 440, 066 should be out of the shop any day and 076 AV. So yeah CAD got me. However, the ms 211 has been running strong since 2006, great, lightweight saw. Fish gill muffler mod made her even better. That being said I have heard the same kind of things about the MS231. But if you are going to spend that kind of money on a 241cm why wouldn't you just get an MS 261 CM?

For OP’s needs, a 211 or 231 would probably work well once the muffler is opened up.

Compared to the 241, the 261 is noticeably bigger and bulkier, and has limited options in the US for <16” bars.

For OP’s needs, a 211 or 231 would probably work well once the muffler is opened up.

Compared to the 241, the 261 is noticeably bigger and bulkier, and has limited options in the US for <16” bars.
Noticeably, yes. Heavy or bulky no. Just my opinion. Power to weight ratio might be better in the 261 cm too.

Doesn’t the 261 retail over $600? The 241 can be found for for less than $500. A dealer by me has been trying to sell one for $465 for a while.

Depends on the bar size. Here a 261 with I believe 16" bar retails for $549+ tax. $465 is a good price, I paid $499.

Here is my 241 with 12" bar....

9a942c1bc7d1d1815a8cc26ac38a1805.jpg

And a thread on my impression of the saw.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/first-impression-of-the-stihl-241c.302420/

I love my MS193. Good power and a very versatile saw. If you are set on rear handle.. like others have said, I would go ms261. More power than a 241 and light enough for all day use. Plus you can run a 18" or 20" bar for your ground work and you won't have to bend as much!

Back