Stihl MS-241 (pro$) or Stihl MS-201 (farm$$$)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok sounds like a reasonable plan, I'm curious as to how the 241 performs as a first saw. Just be careful my friend- You're getting mighty close to mentioning that the 201 is better than the 200....Them's is fightin' words around here :crazy:

Blasphemy- ok,
calling a longtime members' mother out of her name- ok,
201 is better than the 200 you're on your own

BR,

~TW

Haha, not at all. Never seen it for myself but I have definitely heard that 200 outran the 201 all day, even this day in age. The first 201's that came out in 2014 (I think) were all kinds of finnicky. The guy who let me borrow this 201t assured me it is not one of the early models with the puny power problems. I assume the EPA required a decrease in emissions and it robbed the saws of output, but then loopholes or caveats were found/made on Stihls part and the problem was solved within a year.
Much like how any diesel engine tractor over 30 hp has to have that DPF filter and will go through a burn off process every 10 hours of operation. Yet Mahindra has developed a constant regeneration and filter cleaning process that allows the tractors to avoid the burn off process. I believe they come without DPF and DEF all the way up to 50 or 60 horse.
But I managed to find a 2008 35 hp New Holland without the DPF since it was built before the EPA requirements.

On paper, the 241 is the better saw. 1/2 hp more and cheaper than the 201. That being said, you seem to really want the 201. Go for it! It's certainly not a bad choice at all. Both are pro saws that will give you years of service. You certainly need to consider your medical history in the decision too. Perhaps you could find a local dealer that has demo saws for you to try.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks. It'll honestly just come down to my own feel at the dealer. I'm left handed too, so that may come into play in the way I'll want to naturally hold and handle the saw. The money aspect is a big part; the 241 has everything I'd want and more, for less $, go figure. I appreciate the words of enthusiasm.

One thing to note is that in general the top handle saws (and their rear handle versions) are a bit goofy to maintain. Things are just assembled weirdly to make the balance and size work out. A 241 will be much easier to do things like clean the air filter, swap chains, etc. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but while you're at the dealer handling saws, check that stuff out.

Excellent point and agreed, just swapping the chain on the 201t leaves a bit to be desired as far as simplicity. The filter cleaning is easy, but again it's a 201t I'm using, not sure how the 201c filter housing is arranged. I wish I could go in there with my tools and start tearing down their display saws. Brand new shiny Stihl parts everywhere...I could imagine the looks on the faces of the employees.

vDgi_gbMygaz4C0aCAZJke8xFPsfu3L00Jc9sccHNga8NEzpHkRD52xIzuGZNBZWoV96aBzFlRmZ1I8u6O3C2iKxJDYytRfsnigP24-TOnUrMgyvM5kLWSxozX-rqclJBegEpjhSTvRwY44bSrTZk_D7GQ4i7dXX1jGoJtw5rfpt0a-llfTh5Kj8Ikw3U1DRy2WUIPEjRw_ggKAmXMPxUMQWKQeJFn5CrUJ5W1A6OCNvQUc-qsJE7kU-x6qCAkNiRBZXp5IPoklkLu0MrbM0fSytmGOSqSoxDzTgCbLDGo4NoK4C46g8BjDKGGt7oOjc4XKLV1YExwIS_tizLp_xF5PHaKXB7BBONj3o1NR3kGpLM8yiRv1Y-Gpy-arBLfP2z_4paSZckKCEetadrcR4BCo9JsWpWzyMVerQcvKZV8n5T2BwgUcm0tywhkKeqQKEbTOEoyjbBRLqWyU4z9Zdo1glPuhYyAtuX2r87VK_COdjOLSV9BKTi3SyriAdscLNpISSg4dSRv292tNhxBWDuu0tD6miARsGoynvjI5VQCwUpx1YhTEl1ByOQX9m7CQgMOtUxIrPqZOmP60-ssqIHybWVm224gGvrUE7H3z-yv8x4xQxtu9Knbjkhd9Br_YnTWFnGGjTI0xkemu0VAjjTe85hh9vi0wunA=w1663-h935-no

The 241 that I have has been as dependable as a brick , I've run gallons and gallons through it , it just plain works .
No buyers remorse on that purchase at all .

So I went and looked around. No rear handle versions of the T-handles or 241's on display; either is going to have to be ordered. I was really digging the size and weight of the 150T though. I might want one of those in a rear handle for the tiny trimming tasks I do and get a 40-50cc saw further down the road for occasional big task use.

But I've come across another realization. Are the rear handle versions of the T-handle saws plastic clam shell cases? I can't find that info on the Stihl descriptions, probably for good reason. Who would advertise that their machines are of plastic construction? In fact, it's seldom that I can find if a saw is of magnesium construction.
I am no longer borrowing the 201t, so I can't check, but I could have sworn it was all plastic inside the bar cover. I'm asking because 60% of my use is going to be trimming palm trees. Palm fibers can be he!! on bars and chains and the acid will eat away magnesium chainsaw parts. I really don't want a motor housing that starts disintegrating after a year of use. Seems like that was the one thing I did not experience with my cheapo homelite because it was all plastic behind the bar cover. It stayed pretty clean and was easy to wipe down. I'm thinking if anything the 193 is a plastic clam shell design being that it has plastic bumper spikes.

193 is a clamshell the 150 is also mostly plastic but it isn’t a clamshell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I went and looked around. No rear handle versions of the T-handles or 241's on display; either is going to have to be ordered. I was really digging the size and weight of the 150T though. I might want one of those in a rear handle for the tiny trimming tasks I do and get a 40-50cc saw further down the road for occasional big task use.

But I've come across another realization. Are the rear handle versions of the T-handle saws plastic clam shell cases? I can't find that info on the Stihl descriptions, probably for good reason. Who would advertise that their machines are of plastic construction? In fact, it's seldom that I can find if a saw is of magnesium construction.
I am no longer borrowing the 201t, so I can't check, but I could have sworn it was all plastic inside the bar cover. I'm asking because 60% of my use is going to be trimming palm trees. Palm fibers can be he!! on bars and chains and the acid will eat away magnesium chainsaw parts. I really don't want a motor housing that starts disintegrating after a year of use. Seems like that was the one thing I did not experience with my cheapo homelite because it was all plastic behind the bar cover. It stayed pretty clean and was easy to wipe down. I'm thinking if anything the 193 is a plastic clam shell design being that it has plastic bumper spikes.
Might be worth looking into a used saw for the palms. I have no experience with them but I certainly wouldn't go with a pro saw if you know it's going to get trashed. The 201 and 150 are both mag case from what I've read. Too much money to trash. I do a lot of looking on Facebook marketplace and always see plenty of smaller saws and you can search local. Just a thought.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

i dont mean to barge in or step on any toes. but are your just using it for personal use small diameter thinning and brush ? the ms 250 is still on stihls roster. i own all mag case pro saws heck i love my 241 its an excellant saw but of all the clamshell saws and for the money a 250 is hard to beat. you can swap it over to lp/picco

Latest posts

Back