Stihl MS-241 (pro$) or Stihl MS-201 (farm$$$)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I WAS looking for a top handle saw for light ground work of limbing and trimming brush, vines, shrubs and small trees. However, thanks to the expertise on this site I have been steered clear of using a T handle for such work.

So I've been researching the lightest and nicest rear handle saw I can find. Planned use are same as above: brush thinning, branch cutting, ground work. I'd really like to stick with Stihl because...it's a STIHL. Never had one and this will hopefully be a one time, long term purchase. BTW I tend to be tough on equipment, even just as a home owner. I always put things away clean and tidy and very orderly. And I'll maintain the saw as per or better than manufacturer suggestions. I just tend to be rough when working and getting after it. Onto the saws:

I REALLY like the MS-201 C-EM for it's light weight and features. It has a metal bumper spike, metal chain catcher, and M tronic engine. Supposedly this model has been improved since the first 201's came out. Only problem is that the price tag for this "farm and ranch" saw is in the $700 range.

The MS-241 C-M has all the same features as the 201, but it is over a pound heavier. It does have more power and costs about $150 less from what I can tell. But I really don't need the extra power for what I need to do with the saw. The real difference and my quest to find the perfect saw is all in the weight savings.

My main question here is what else would I be getting with a "pro" saw in the 241? I've heard things like the pro saws have titanium stators and can be rebuilt much easier. So why is it cheaper that the 201?

Lastly, still on the list is a MS 193 C-E. It is the lightest and cheapest price out of all. It has no metal bumper spike or steel chain catcher; all that stuff is plastic. No M tronic either. I really like the $400 price tag, but the power of the 193 is not even hitting 1.8 bhp. Will I want more should I ever need to buck a whole tree after a storm?
Here's my understanding from looking at Stihl's website. The 201 is a rear handle version of the 201t(pro saw.) The 193 is rear handle 193t( farm/ranch.) This explains the significant price difference between the two. If weight and price are most important, either one should be fine. Personally, I think the 241 would be a better all-around saw. A little more weight but also more power if you get into bigger wood.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Doesn’t the 261 retail over $600? The 241 can be found for for less than $500. A dealer by me has been trying to sell one for $465 for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great price. I paid $569 for my 241. The 261 was marked $609 but was on special for $569 for quite a while during the second half of last year.

The Stihl dealers around here will not budge a penny on saw prices other than the factory deals and one place has $30 off on 461's.

I think another good reason for the 241 is more control. I use top handles a lot and there is a better chance of a top handle getting away from you than a rear handle. I let my family run my top handles but it always come with a stern warning on how to be safe. Even the smallest risk to limb and life isn’t worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the awesome response everyone!
Other than ensuring I leave the dealer with a 14" bar and chain, I truly don't see myself modding this saw; not the bar, chain, sprocket, or muffler. I just plan to use it and maintain it.

Weight is the biggest concern with a decent price being the close second. I'm really looking for sub 10 pound power head weight. I had a 16" 42cc Homelite that weighed 9.7 pounds and it was a good size. But I destroyed it in 18 months. Cracked bar oil tank, broken support handle, chain catch disappeared after 6 months, chain tensioner would slip, etc. Hence why I'm looking for a good saw now.

I have a borrowed 201t on hand right now and it flies, I just wish it were a rear handle. But $700+tax and fluids for a rear handle 201c-e 35cc saw had me scratching my head..asking myself "Am I really considering this?"

The 193c-e rear handle would work great for what I need to do, but lacking a steel bumper spike and steel chain catch makes me think I'll bash it all up in a few years.

Looks like the 241c-m gets a lot of love. A call to my local dealer told me it's $519. Not a bad price I think.

The 261 is just outside of my quest for light weight. I've already had 3 hernia repairs in my 35 year lifetime, and reaching all day with any amount of weight is a killer to my lower abdomen.

Possibly one day the 241 will be my middle size saw, with a MS 150 as my small saw for fence rowing and a Farm Boss as my big bucking saw. But I only keep 4 acres clean and trimmed, so this single do-all saw should have me set up for everything I need. A pole saw would help me. I need a general real saw first though.

Thanks again!

The 241 is a full pound lighter with B&C and fuel. That's a lot.

Just walked out to the shop and weighed 024 and 026 power heads.
The 026 was slightly lighter as there was some fuel and bar oil in the 024, and the 026 was in dry storage.
Seems to indicate that the MS241 is a lighter saw than the older 024.

One question about the 241:

I really like the single bar nut on the 201t that I'm presently borrowing. I also like that the nut is self retaining and can't be dropped. Does the 241 single bar nut have the same retaining feature? It makes chain adjusting just that much easier.

Note: This probably isn't that big a deal to most of you, but I was used to reinstalling a thrown chain every 20 minutes with my Homelite that had two bar nuts and they would fall into the grass often. I spent a lot of wasted time with a pole magnet looking for the darn things.

One question about the 241:

I really like the single bar nut on the 201t that I'm presently borrowing. I also like that the nut is self retaining and can't be dropped. Does the 241 single bar nut have the same retaining feature? It makes chain adjusting just that much easier.

Note: This probably isn't that big a deal to most of you, but I was used to reinstalling a thrown chain every 20 minutes with my Homelite that had two bar nuts and they would fall into the grass often. I spent a lot of wasted time with a pole magnet looking for the darn things.
yes it does Mike. best thing since sliced bread.

yes it does Mike. best thing since sliced bread.
I think all of u are nuts. Top handle all the way. For this kind of work. Such a handy size saw. I have had a 192 t.c for 7 years now. No problems at all. I love it for cutting up tree tops. I would not use a rear handle saw for small limbs and branches. I also use it for cutting up boards when building gate's etc.

I think all of u are nuts. Top handle all the way. For this kind of work. Such a handy size saw. I have had a 192 t.c for 7 years now. No problems at all. I love it for cutting up tree tops. I would not use a rear handle saw for small limbs and branches. I also use it for cutting up boards when building gate's etc.

Well that's out of the ordinary.

As mentioned, I have a borrowed 201t. It's really handy and zings right along for the ground level 3" and under green stick limbing I'm doing. Mostly thinning underbrush, sago palms, short date palms, crepe myrtles, oleanders and such. It's actually more power than I need at the moment, which is a good thing. I also have 6 big pecans, 2 big oaks and 8 40' tall palm trees that threaten to come down during violent storms. If I ever had to buck a whole tree I'd want the 201 in a rear handle. They're just so expensive. Bucking would be a once in a decade thing.
That being said, the 241 seems light enough to handle all that as being called the "best all around saw ever!" Still need to hold one in person though. I'm offshore in the GoM right now. It'll be another week before I can get to a dealer.

I live in SE Texas so I do not cut firewood. Back at everyone again, is the 241 the saw for me or a 193 c-e? Could maybe wait a while longer and spring for the 201 c-em, probably my dream saw.

Matemike,

I'm glad you posted this had the same question myself....I'm still learning heaps from the Saw Yoda's here. There is an awesome looking rear hadle ms200 on the buy sell trade board here might be exactly what you are looking for at the right price.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-440-and-200-rear-handle.316388/

I was dreaming about the 201 until I read this thread. I guess when I hit that 1/2 billion dollar jackpot I'll get a 241 :crazy:

(heck, I might splurge and get a 261:))
BR,

~TW

Matemike,

I'm glad you posted this had the same question myself....I'm still learning heaps from the Saw Yoda's here. There is an awesome looking rear hadle ms200 on the buy sell trade board here might be exactly what you are looking for at the right price.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-440-and-200-rear-handle.316388/

I was dreaming about the 201 until I read this thread. I guess when I hit that 1/2 billion dollar jackpot I'll get a 241 :crazy:

(heck, I might splurge and get a 261:))
BR,

~TW

Haha. See, my dream saw is the 201 c-em. Easy-to-start, M-tronic, etc. etc and well under 10 pounds. 8.6 PHO to be specific. The t version I borrow now hasn't even come close to letting me down or even made me feel iffy about what I'm asking it to do power wise. If I won that jackpot I'd be all over a 201 c-em plus many many more Stihls. Or I might just wait until tax returns come in and spring for it if I just can't get my mind off it.

I am certainly going to go hold a 241 c-m and see if I don't fall in love with it. Thanks for making it the high(est) on my list everyone.
I'll report back with my results.

Well that's out of the ordinary.

As mentioned, I have a borrowed 201t. It's really handy and zings right along for the ground level 3" and under green stick limbing I'm doing. Mostly thinning underbrush, sago palms, short date palms, crepe myrtles, oleanders and such. It's actually more power than I need at the moment, which is a good thing. I also have 6 big pecans, 2 big oaks and 8 40' tall palm trees that threaten to come down during violent storms. If I ever had to buck a whole tree I'd want the 201 in a rear handle. They're just so expensive. Bucking would be a once in a decade thing.
That being said, the 241 seems light enough to handle all that as being called the "best all around saw ever!" Still need to hold one in person though. I'm offshore in the GoM right now. It'll be another week before I can get to a dealer.

I live in SE Texas so I do not cut firewood. Back at everyone again, is the 241 the saw for me or a 193 c-e? Could maybe wait a while longer and spring for the 201 c-em, probably my dream saw.
On paper, the 241 is the better saw. 1/2 hp more and cheaper than the 201. That being said, you seem to really want the 201. Go for it! It's certainly not a bad choice at all. Both are pro saws that will give you years of service. You certainly need to consider your medical history in the decision too. Perhaps you could find a local dealer that has demo saws for you to try.

One thing to note is that in general the top handle saws (and their rear handle versions) are a bit goofy to maintain. Things are just assembled weirdly to make the balance and size work out. A 241 will be much easier to do things like clean the air filter, swap chains, etc. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but while you're at the dealer handling saws, check that stuff out.

On paper, the 241 is the better saw. 1/2 hp more and cheaper than the 201. That being said, you seem to really want the 201. Go for it! It's certainly not a bad choice at all. Both are pro saws that will give you years of service. You certainly need to consider your medical history in the decision too. Perhaps you could find a local dealer that has demo saws for you to try.

i agree with you Brian. he needs to find/have a dealer that will let him run one.
you can't see me very good but here's me racing my stock 241 against Definative dave'sMMWS 200T in cant races at the PA GTG last fall. the starter didn't know he was in front of the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=c1wIyishOME

Haha. See, my dream saw is the 201 c-em. Easy-to-start, M-tronic, etc. etc and well under 10 pounds. 8.6 PHO to be specific. The t version I borrow now hasn't even come close to letting me down or even made me feel iffy about what I'm asking it to do power wise. If I won that jackpot I'd be all over a 201 c-em plus many many more Stihls. Or I might just wait until tax returns come in and spring for it if I just can't get my mind off it.

I am certainly going to go hold a 241 c-m and see if I don't fall in love with it. Thanks for making it the high(est) on my list everyone.
I'll report back with my results.

Ok sounds like a reasonable plan, I'm curious as to how the 241 performs as a first saw. Just be careful my friend- You're getting mighty close to mentioning that the 201 is better than the 200....Them's is fightin' words around here :crazy:

Blasphemy- ok,
calling a longtime members' mother out of her name- ok,
201 is better than the 200 you're on your own

BR,

~TW

Latest posts

Back