STIHL MS 250 oil problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elanjoe

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i knew about the oiling problems on the 250 , my problem is a little different, as soon as i acquired the saw i modified the 18 inch stihl bar, i changed stock oil pump to 1123 640 3290, lots of oil now , 2 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil , maybe more . the problem i have is oil getting on the clutch and just about every where else under the side cover ? did it before i changed oil pump and modded the bar. any help would be great.

:popcorn:
I'd like to her about this one also. I have an MS250, but haven't heard about changing the oil pump, whats the scoop with that?

Some of the smaller Stihl saws have a .55 volume oil pump and there is a .65 HO volume pump available. I installed one in my MS211. The part # he installed is actually a larger diameter as well as HO. I installed a diff part # in mine.

yep , High output for sure, really slings the oil , except i dont like oil on the clutch , the swap was easy enough , a bolt to thread in the pump , and pull. tap in the new one.

i usually buy my parts from ebay , i made the mistake of assuming the oiler would be about the same price so i ordered from my local dealer,

OUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :taped:

56 bucks out the door

needless to say , they wont get to much more of my business

Ive seen 025 saws that had bearing failure on the sprocket, caused the drum to cut through the case and cause the oil to be pumped ALL over in there. Is the sprocket bearing in good shape?

..............great

I'll be happy when this thing is off my bench.

Handy info. thanks for sharing.

elan,

What all did you do when you modified the 18 inch stihl bar?

About 10 years ago I bought a used 025 that the previous owner bought band new and had put the chain on backwards and ran the saw until he melted the side cover. Side cover was garbage and had to be replaced with a new one. Saw ran good for another 8+ years and then started slinging oil everywhere under the side cover. You might want to check the surface between where the bar mounts to the engine case to make sure it's flat and not warped in any way.

Hi elanjoe
I had problems with oil coming from inside the clutch cover on my ms250 the problem turned out to be a bad o ring on the connecting elbow that comes from the oil tank feed line and goes to the oil pump. it is hidden under the front handle of the saw on the bottom of the saw. This also caused the saw to under oil the bar, after replacing the o ring the saw now uses about one tank of oil to one tank of fuel. my saw is now on its third season of firewood cutting six to eight cords per year. the saw is on it's third chain and second bar.
ms250 ported muffler 18" bar with .325-.063 rs chain. the only thing that limits this saw is the 16" max cutting surface and the small bar mount. I cut pine ,pinion, scrub oak, ash and seeder all with little strain or bogging as long as I stay under 30" diameter trees the saw works fine.
I also added a thin plastic washer made from a coleslaw container lid which helps to form a better seal on the thin berrying surface above the oil slot on the bar mount. (note I have a replaceable drive sprocket clutch drum so the slight offset caused by the washer wont cause the chain to run off center with the bar.)

Back