Stihl ms 250 or Echo cs 440 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not familiar with the cs 440...but i've dealt with a lot of 025/ms250's and they are an extremely durable saw.

MS 250 vs. CS-440

Both are very decent little saws in their intended role...not the best...but decent and reliable. I know a couple of guys that have the CS-440 and they swear by them...but, it should be pointed out that they need no more in a saw. Of the two, I'd go with the MS 250; it's a good around the house firewood / light storm clean-up saw. The Stihl is rated at 3HP and weighs 10.1lbs. The Echo is rated at 2.95HP on Australian sites and weighs 10.5lbs. Here in the States, no one really knows the power output of Echo saws as Echo does not publish such information. As you're no doubt aware, both saws are 45cc. IMO, both of these saws are ideally suited when running a 16" B&C combination, however, they are both commonly sold with an 18" B&C set-up. If you need a little more bar on your saw; then you may want to consider a little more saw? Since these saws seem to be so close in comparison; dealer support should play a key consideration for you. Flip a coin...then go down and buy the STIHL. :)

At this point, you should brace yourself for the myriad of different saw recommendations that you're about to be inundated with. Good luck in your choice.

Best Regards,
OLY-JIM

:cheers:

Last edited:
Popular Mechanics Shoot-Out

Hey Cory...here's a link to a Popular Mechanics review of seven different saws in this class. Both the MS 250 and CS-440 are apart of the review. All of the saws in the review are in the 45cc saw class (+/-) and appear to be direct manufacturer competitors. The review is not overly in-depth and it's a little dated, however, it should provide a good base start from with adjoining pics. The review concludes with final rankings. I hope this helps some?

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/gardening/1273816.html?page=1

Last edited:
I chose the Echo based on price and dealer support. I have cut one cord of oak and here are my observations.

Price: $205.00 + shipping off ebay NIB

Pros: Quality very good, aluminum crankcase, bolt on cylinder, excellent air filtration, easy staring, great adjustable oiler, good fuel economy, reasonable power -may be better when it is fully broken in, quiet. Cuts pretty fast with Oregon 20LP chisel chain. Anti vibe is good.

Cons: Front chain adjust is a PITA, can be upgraded to side chain adjust I think for $7. Top cover requires tools to remove. Mine came from the factory running too lean and needed to have the limiter caps removed to retune and that was a PITA, once tuned it runs very well. Dealer support may be lacking, I have what I thought was a great local dealer but they are clueless about the chainsaws and did not want to sell non anti-kickback chain to an "amatuer", also refused to sell or order new limiter caps to replace the ones I damaged, claimed that the EPA wouldn't let them sell limiter caps. Your dealer might be better. The local Stihl dealer was very accomodating and ordered new ones for me from Walbro. Chain/clutch cover is plastic and somewhat flimsy, chainbrake lever is a single attach point and not terribly heavy duty. Cannot easily mod muffler for more power and I can't find a non cat muffler for it.

I know nothing of the Stihl 250 other than it was more expensive. I would reccomend the CS-440 for homeowner and firewood scrounger use. I probably also would say the CS-440 would be a good saw for the residential landscaper who needs a saw infrequently to remove storm damaged trees and prune and shape customers trees. I would not own this saw with the intent of using it on a daily basis to put food on MY table. It is a very good dollar value saw and a big step up in quality and durability from a Poulan. At full retail prices it fairly comparable to equivilant models from Stihl and Husky, however these can be gotten on the cheap from Ebay or Craigslist and for $200 it is a hell of a saw. I would buy it again.

I have an 025 w/ the 18" bar and it handles it well. I can tell you I've used that saw for much more than it was meant to be used for and it's as strong now as the day I bought it back in 2001. Great bang for your buck...Stihl 025/ms250

The only real drawback on the Echo is you need a phillips head screwdriver to remove the cylinder cover, but honestly you should have to remove it too often anyways, and it only takes a second to pop off.

The air filtration is leaps and bounds better, the front chain tensioner is not as nice as a fancy tool less feature, but it wont break or fail on you in the woods, also it's a breeze to remove the side cover, bar and chain.

The saw is one of the easiest to start out there, like all Echos are. Pull the choke out, , flip the convienient switch up, and give the rope a tug, and off you go.

The Chain brakes are single mount, but not at all flimsy or easy to break off. If you kickback hard enough to break that handle, you have other problems, trust me.

The idle is smooth, and the quality is astounding when you see the inner workings of one of these saws.

Ive got an 025, and I cant say terrible things about it, except it it hard to pull the rope, I put on an elast-start handle, and it did help some, but it still pulls really really hard to me.

Go to an Echo DEALER if you decide to go that route, make sure it is setup and tested.

I would normally run out and buy the Stihl, but I grew up with my dad's Echo. It's a 500EVL with a 16 inch bar. He bought it around 1984 and the thing is still going strong. I plan on using my saw for all around stuff and eventually I'll be heating with wood. Any other comments ? Thanks for the info. guys.

Cory

The 250 is lighter and stronger than the Echo. I have cut with both and would take the 250 over the Echo anyday.

Ive got an 025, and I cant say terrible things about it, except it it hard to pull the rope, I put on an elast-start handle, and it did help some, but it still pulls really really hard to me.

Go to an Echo DEALER if you decide to go that route, make sure it is setup and tested.

RED....:ices_rofl:

I gues you got a point there though lol... I don't know how much the 025's are now but when I bought mine in 2001 it was slightly under $200.00
For the money I spent, I am very pleased.

I'm sure the echos a good saw too and more user friendly in some ways.

That 440 will wake up good after 8 or 9 tanks. Keep the rakers low enough this saw has the grunt to pull low rakers. I wouldn't be one bit scared of racing a 250 Stihl. My CS510 smokes MS290 Stihls. Having to pull the caps and adjust is just about normal nowdays, it's good that you reconize that you needed too rather than burning it up. Try not to use ethonal gas and use stabil for storing. You'll like the side adjuster just don't have the bar nuts too tight when adjusting. Steve

The only real drawback on the Echo is you need a phillips head screwdriver to remove the cylinder cover, but honestly you should have to remove it too often anyways, and it only takes a second to pop off.

Mine has screws that have complete flats cut as well as phillips, the included screench can pop off the cover no sweat. But they should have made it quick detach for the sake of convienence.

Having to pull the caps and adjust is just about normal nowdays, it's good that you reconize that you needed too rather than burning it up. Try not to use ethonal gas and use stabil for storing. You'll like the side adjuster just don't have the bar nuts too tight when adjusting.

Steve your posts on AS helped me identify the need to do this before I even ordered the saw, so thanks! I do have experience tuning 2 strokes, but without the warning from your posts I really doubt I would have realized it was so lean before some premature wear had already occured. At first the high side was so lean it needed about another 1/2 turn out on the high side from where the cap was set, later after 4 tanks the low side also needed to be fattened up but not as bad as the high side needed. I'm going to upgrade to side chain adjust asap. Thanks again Steve!

The only gas I can get here is 10% methanol but I do use Echo power blend oil 40:1 and I use my 1 gallon can so fast I don't need any stabilizers.

Which is the better chainsaw Stihl ms 250 or Echo cs 440 ?

Depends on if you prefers Pest or Colera - but I'd take the Stihl if that is the only options......:greenchainsaw:

The Husky 350 is a much better option, if you can still get them..........

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back