Stihl ms 250 or Echo cs 440 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone is still out of the Echo 440. I was told by a dealer that the Echo 440 crankcase is plastic just like the Husky 345 and 350. This dealer carries Echo, Stihl, and Husky. Any one for sure on this ?

Not true. I think Brian S has some pics on one of these threads which disproves that as well.

Check out this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=59217&page=3&highlight=cs-440 . I've also personally handled the saw and it's not a plastic case. It does however have plastic side covers.

Last edited:
Everyone is still out of the Echo 440. I was told by a dealer that the Echo 440 crankcase is plastic just like the Husky 345 and 350. This dealer carries Echo, Stihl, and Husky. Any one for sure on this ?

Your Dealer doesnt know is stuff...CS 440 is a metal case, metal block saw.

The metal block holds the seals and bearings in it. The Metal block mounts to a metal case.

The recoil cover is plastic, and the rear handle and Anti-Vibe cradle is plastic composite.

I confirmed firsthand todat that the CS-400 is in fact a plastic case saw, however the crank case is still Metal, and contains its seals and bearings, it sinply mounts to a plastic case.

Red and Oly are correct, your dealer is ignorant of the 440 design.

Lots of metal in the 440.

Buying the saw monday. Looking at the Husky 350 and the Echo 440. Both saws are being discontinued. Just my luck I research this out and they phase them out. The Echo is $330 and the Husky is $340. Hopefully the dealer will still have the Echo so I can look at it. I found one 30 miles away. One of the things holding me back on the Husky is the plastic case.

No it's not. Plastic case. Better saw though according to many. I can't say myself, I haven't run either one of them...just the 520 in this class.

Last edited:
The choke/fast idle/on/off system on the small Huskys is the best ever designed in function, imo.
I have never seen a broken one, but it sure has happened, as with every other system.

agreed, its straitforward and easy to use. suprisingly durable for loooking so flimsy

i looked at the 350 husky and it looks cheaply built. i dont hear of many broken saws but they are prolly out there. peeps do rave about they way they cut.

Well guys I bought the Husqvarna 350. I think it is the best bang for the buck.

Congrats on the new saw. I agree, the 350 has a very attractive price point. According to a lot of members here who own them; it's also a very good running saw.

Found this....

Date: 2008-01-12, 3:11PM EST

echo cs440 chainsaw never actualy used but did turn on a couple times. been in my garage for 8 months sinse i bought it brand new. 150 or bo 603-358-3937 or 617-880-9239

.... i looked at the 350 husky and it looks cheaply built. i dont hear of many broken saws but they are prolly out there. peeps do rave about they way they cut.

That depends on the eyes that is looking - but it has proven itself in real life, regardless of the plastic case.
At least the handlebar and clutch cover is metal. A Stihl MS250 looks, and more important, feels waaay cheaper built, imo.

Last edited:
Great saw.

Cory - congrats on the 350. My son has had his two years now and runs great.

Post some pics of that saw throwin' chips!

Al

Last edited:
That depends on the eyes that is looking - but it has proven itself in real life, regardless of the plastic case.
At least the handlebar and clutch cover is metal. A Stihl MS250 looks, and more important, feels waaay cheaper built, imo.
Stop talking silly Mr Troll. Are you implying the MS250 hasn't proven itself in real life? The MS260 also has a plastic handlebar along with the ms360 and many others. I prefer the plastic over the metal on these saws and think its just as durable if not moreso. Have you found otherwise? I have a box at home full of bent up and damaged metal 026 handlebars and only one damaged so called "plastic" one.

Troll bashing the 250 again...imagine that. Unfortunately for your point of view Troll...the saw just keeps on working great. No reports of "quality" issues from me.

Latest posts

Back