Stihl MS 250 value?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lylechief

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What is this saw worth used and in very good condition. It has a 20 inch bar and chain on it now both in very good condition also.

Their back up to around $370 new here. Cosmetically nice in good working condition I saw them asking well over $200 a while back last time i looked when i had 1 for sale. Mine wasn't pretty and I think it was at least $175 I got for it about 1 year ago.
I didn't think they made any bigger then 18in bars for the ms 250?

Their back up to around $370 new here. Cosmetically nice in good working condition I saw them asking well over $200 a while back last time i looked when i had 1 for sale. Mine wasn't pretty and I think it was at least $175 I got for it about 1 year ago.
I didn't think they made any bigger then 18in bars for the ms 250?
Correct. That 20" bar is complete overkill for an MS 250. I would hesitate to buy it because of that alone.

Correct. That 20" bar is complete overkill for an MS 250. I would hesitate to buy it because of that alone.
I think it would handle it with the picco chain fine. Could even go to a 6 tooth sprocket if it needed more power. They may not pull indescrimenantly in bigger stuff but if it is used primarily as a limber, the reach could be a benifit. Neighbor has 2 with .325 18in, he seems to do fine with. I cut a little with 1 or 2 18 .325 before and they did what i wanted. Of course i don't expect them to go through bigger stuff without slowing down.

My plan was to put the 20 inch bar on my 028 super and the 16 on the 250

I passed up on it. The price is now225 for it. No way was I spending that.

I picked one up a couple of months ago that was straight gassed the first day bought. A Chinese piston and cylinder and she was good to go. she sold for $250 pretty quickly.

I picked one up a couple of months ago that was straight gassed the first day bought. A Chinese piston and cylinder and she was good to go. she sold for $250 pretty quickly.
You make it sound so easy to do that. The clamshell design forces almost a complete take down. I have done it several times and after each occasion I say to myself, "Why on earth did I do that?" Ans. It's just a hobby.

You make it sound so easy to do that. The clamshell design forces almost a complete take down. I have done it several times and after each occasion I say to myself, "Why on earth did I do that?" Ans. It's just a hobby.
LOL...the first clamshell Stihl I did drove me nuts. Husky's I can do in my sleep, but the Stihls are so alien to me I've got to slow down and pay attention......I've only done two 250's a 251 and a 271.....I've got another 250 given to me that supposedly just needed a fuel line.....wrong......no compression. ( still needed the fuel line though). I'm working up to that one in the fall I think.

Latest posts

Back