Stihl MS 260.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mange

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have one of these on the way, I am no Stihl guy, but i will see what you go on and on and on about!

Mange said:
I have one of these on the way, I am no Stihl guy, but i will see what you go on and on and on about!

It's good to know you still have an open mind.

Well its better than being a closed minded fool. I try to be open minded about trying new things, you cant knock it till you try it.

I will give you Stihl nerds a hard time if this one is no good, I heard a bunch of stuff, now it is time to see for my self, I hope I wont be disappointed.

You won't be disappointed. Just keep it cleaned and fueled and you should have no problems.

-Matt

P.S. Keep it sharp! :)

I will let you off the hook, this saw did ok.
I am not impressed, but it run good for a 49cc saw.

It got tested in dry elm tree (this is what I cut in mostly) so I could get a fair judgment.

Gut out the muffler and replace the carburator with an adjustable high jet model and you will be pleasantly suprised after about 7 to 10 tankfulls of gas (break-in).

There is adj. carb, and the muffler is close to empty already. I can take one of the larger when I need moore. They are standard as well, most of them.

Mange,

I know what you mean about not being impressed. I bought a 440 hoping it would be more than I needed for firewood cutting. Now I wish I had bought a 660.

Yes, you have to wait for a NEW saw to be fueled a few times. You won't notice most power until after that. It needs to break-in.

I used an Stihl 026 yesterday to cut up a 4 foot across red oak. I cut up all the limbs and wood (up to 12") and it worked great. I used a 066 (with 36" bar) for the trunk. Only used those two saws and about 5 tanks of gas.

-Matt

Dang bvaught Not impressed with a 440. Dang pleaseeeee, let me try it out. I was impressed with my 60cc poulan 3750 after the top end rebuild and muffler and exaust mods. Ran like a different saw after the mods. Just maybe you should open the 440 up.

Timbermaster,

It is opened up a little. I put the dual port muffler on an retuned, but I am not going to do any mods that shorten the life or reliability.

I guess I just need to use my pa in laws Homelite XL to give myself a little perspective.

I fully understand. If i had that kind of money in a workhorse. I'd want my 2 years of peace also. I only wish for a piece like that, I just cant justify it with the cutting I do. I bet it will get stronger with use, Because it is pretty new right?

Timbermaster,

You can use the saw anytime you like. What do you mean 2 years of peace? It had darned well better last at least 20. I have had about 2 gallons of gas in it so far, so I think its pretty well broken in.

When my wife gets out of school I will buy a 660, but for now the 440 will have to do the job.

2 gallons isnt enough to break it in. I dont know off hand how much fuel it takes to fill a 044 once, but multiply that by 15 times and it will be broke in.

As to opening the saws, OPEN THEM.

I have a nearly 8 year old 044 that runs like a top (aside from the chain slapping the gas tank and puttin a hole in it).

I open the muffler in every saw i buy, I havent done the power pruner yet, but its getting done sometime too.

Back