Stihl MS 261 and 362 get an Update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the german test institute KWF, (if you can trust german tests at all nowadays, with VW in fresh mind), the MS 362 C-M is a heavy beast, with it's 7.4 kg equipped with 18" bar and chain. Empty weight of the powerhead only is still 6.0 kg.

We have the MS 362 C-Q model, which is even heavier than the base model.

"Leergewicht Einschließlich Schneidgarnitur 45 cm 7,4 kg
Ohne Schneidgarnitur 6,0 kg"

Ref:
http://www.kwf-online.de/deutsch/pruef/pruefergebnisse/aagw/motorsaegen/5790_14.pdf

I do not have an old one to compare but I can weigh one on monday

Old MS 362 is 5.6 Kg / 12.3 LBS
New MS362 is 4.9 Kg / 10.8 LBS

I am in Newmarket Ontario

Hi,

The old MS 362 have 5,8kg, the new one have 5,6kg

4,9kg is the weight of the new MS261 ;)

The KFW-Test is right. The MS362 VW Powerhead ve 6,0kg. The VW Version have 200g more weight. But this are the specs for the old one.

I have checked with Stihl . The new 261 will be available until January .

Lg

The #s:

5.6 Kg = 12.3459 lbs
5.8 Kg = 12.7868 lbs
4.9 Kg = 10.8027 lbs

In reality, the current 362 C powerhead is 13 lbs, and a member who had one with an outside dog added got a wt of 13.2. It is essentially the same as a 562 or 262.

If the new model is noticeably lighter, it will be a good thing, but I will be surprised if the new 362 is under 12 & 1/2 lbs.

The initial powerhead weights from both companies often seem to reflect saws filled with helium!

How much lighter than the old ones are they???

These new Stihl models definitely look much sleeker.
I've seen some discrepancies in weight calculators online but so far this one *looks pretty accurate.
It says 4.9kg for the new 261 is actually 10lbs&12.8 ounces or 10.8 lbs - right in line with the 550xp - do you think they did that on purpose! ;)
http://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/kg-to-pounds-ounces.php

Looks like they have been keen to defeat any weight advantage that Husky could claim in the past.

Hi,

The old MS 362 have 5,8kg, the new one have 5,6kg

4,9kg is the weight of the new MS261 ;)

The KFW-Test is right. The MS362 VW Powerhead ve 6,0kg. The VW Version have 200g more weight. But this are the specs for the old one.

I have checked with Stihl . The new 261 will be available until January .

Lg

Ahhh my Swedish connection was mistaken.. can't trust anyone now a days LOL I will bring my digital scale on mondy and get a dry weight of the new 362. is there a new sku number for the new 261? I can access stihl and find out.

5.6 is just over 12 and 1/3 lbs. If they make a 60 cc saw that light with even more power, they have really got something.

Did not know this was in the works, but hopefully it will indicate good news for the return of the 441 (or 442???).

The 362 C is a much newer saw than the 441 C, so I can not imagine them re working one and not the other.

Would be nice to see a 70 cc saw under 14 lbs again!

Looks like they are slowly making the specs more "husky-like", and could just go all the way, dumping the inboard clutch in the process.......

Am I missing something or is the 241cm now the exact same weight as the new 261cm?

what do they have up their sleeve for the 241? This is getting interesting!

I must admit I am shocked at how fast they have updated the 362 C, which had major changes over the 362. The 362 C came out long after the 562, but is being upgraded before the 562. I fully expected the older 441 C, and non M-Tronic 461 to be upgraded first. The 362 C has only been out for about 2 years. I was one of the first on this site to have one.

There must be a very large market for 50 and 60 cc saws, caused in part by the gain in weight of the 441 C (over the 440).

I had heard of prototypes in the 70 cc range, but nothing relating to the smaller saws.

The next saws in the 70 cc range (from both companies) should be very interesting.

Am I missing something or is the 241cm now the exact same weight as the new 261cm?

what do they have up their sleeve for the 241? This is getting interesting!

The Stihl USA website shows the 241 C at 4.5 Kg (9.9 lbs). It now shows the new wt for the 261, but not for the 362. They have also included the wt for wrap handle versions of some of the saws, something that was previously missing.

The 241 is a light little saw!

The Stihl USA website shows the 241 C at 4.5 Kg (9.9 lbs). It now shows the new wt for the 261, but not for the 362. They have also included the wt for wrap handle versions of some of the saws, something that was previously missing.

The 241 is a light little saw!

That's weird! CDN site shows Weight (kg / lbs) 4.9 / 10.8 for the 241cm
http://en.stihl.ca/STIHL-Products/C...n-saws-for-forestry/21936-130/MS-241-C-M.aspx

I know our gallons are different sizes, but I always thought US and CDN pounds and ounces are the same :dizzy:

Looks like they are slowly making the specs more "husky-like", and could just go all the way, dumping the inboard clutch in the process.......

I think they are just making the specs more "361" like, which was lighter than the 262 and pre dated the 560 etc.

I trust they will keep the clutch where it belongs!!!

I must admit I am shocked at how fast they have updated the 362 C, which had major changes over the 362. The 362 C came out long after the 562, but is being upgraded before the 562. I fully expected the older 441 C, and non M-Tronic 461 to be upgraded first. The 362 C has only been out for about 2 years. I was one of the first on this site to have one.

There must be a very large market for 50 and 60 cc saws, caused in part by the gain in weight of the 441 C (over the 440).

I had heard of prototypes in the 70 cc range, but nothing relating to the smaller saws.

The next saws in the 70 cc range (from both companies) should be very interesting.

Mike.

1 - the only changes to a 362 were mtronic and an air filter .. they werent major.

2 - they had to do something with the saw because it wasnt very popular with the guys who work with them daily , a large majority favor the 560/2 .. especially the european guys.

3 - a 362 has been the same design since it was born , minus its mtron and air filter addition , when husqvarna phased out the 357 for the 562 it was a whole new saw along with autotune..they didnt just slap autotune on a 357 and a different air filter like stihl did with the 362.

4 - the market for 50 and 60cc saws has nothing to do with the weight gain that came with the 441 over the 440 , it was stihls first strato attempt..they didnt do very good...but a 372XT could have been better too..it is what it is.

Latest posts

Back