MS 311 or MS 241 CM or . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw?

• MS 311

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MS 241 CM

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • MS 261 CM

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CacaoBoy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
After a long time as a lurker I think I know at least part of the consensus answer, but need to ask anyway.

I need a new saw to replace a Husqvarna 141 that has given up after 10+ years of generally reliable service. Local (Hawaii) sellers of chainsaws are pretty limited -- there are the big box stores, or I can get Stihl. I had been leaning heavily toward the Stihl MS 311 with 18" bar based on specs and feel. It is a bit heavier than I would like, but at 4.2 h.p. the power looks good. But I see in other posts that while there seem to be a lot of people who like it, few, if any, are really enthusiastic, and some are downright critical. In particular I have noticed posts saying it is too heavy for what you get.

The MS 241 CM, on the other hand, seems to have a whole lot of people who consider this to be at least close to their ideal saw. While it would reflect a big step up for me, it seems a bit underpowered.

What most gives me hesitation is the M-Tronic. I have seen conflicting information regarding how electronics-intensive that feature is. I am in a climate in which electronics do not last. None of my neighbors has a working smoke detector because they fail in 6-9 months, regardless of model or manufacturer. And with the vibration of a chainsaw, I question how well anything relying on electronic components will last. And I am of an age that grew up without electronics and just am more comfortable with purely mechanical machinery. On the other hand, I have never been very skilled at tuning small engines.

The saw will be primarily used for pruning a few thousand cacao trees and for felling those that are to be culled. Branches will typically be under 3" diameter, trunks typically under 10" diameter. The wood is fairly soft and easy to cut. It also will be used to fell weed trees with trunks that might be up to 12 or 14" diameter, again soft wood. And it will also be used to a lesser extent on citrus trees that can be a very, very hard wood.

I have also started thinking about the MS 261 CM if I can tolerate the M-Tronics as the 261 seems to offer a better power to weight ratio, but the cost is more than I had set as my limit. And if you believe the Stihl chart, the 261 is a bit lighter duty saw than is the 311 despite the greater cost of the 261. Going up to an MS 362 would definitely cost more than I could justify.
scale-chainsaws.jpg

With limited competition the local dealers are happy to gouge their customers, and prices for Stihl chainsaws seem to run about $100 more locally than on the mainland. The best prices I have found are running
  • MS 311 w/18" bar - $530
  • MS 241 CM w/16" bar - $570
  • MS 261 CM w/18" bar - $640
All comments are appreciated, but keep in mind that I am limited to Stihl or something sold by Home Depot or Lowes. Thanks.

Do you have Husqvarna or Jonsered dealers on the island? I don't mean HD. You said your 141 gave you ten years so obviously you know how to maintain a saw.

The 241.
You aren't cutting anything Of any size so you want lightness.
And that 241 is made to run.
Don't worry about the M Tronic. Works great.

I've trimmed a lot of trees here in the US. Light and sharp

When I get to Hawaii to visit friends I'd love to see a cocoa plantation. Will work for cocoa. Lol

241 or MS250 if you want to spend less. A 362 is overkill for your pruning work. You want as light as possible. You could also consider an Echo CS352 which is a great brush or pruning saw (even lighter than the 241) but a 12-14" tree would be as much as I'd want to do with it, and not often. There might be a 40-45cc Echo that's appropriate. The 352 is not Stihl build quality but it's light and smooth and starts so easily.

I've not compared the ms261 vs 241, but for the older 024/240 to 026/260, it was almost the same saw, just more power on the 026/260. I'll probably have my 026 until I die. Super dependable, my go to most of the time.

Kinda like towing something, sure you could do it with a v6, but for wear and longevity its hard to beat a v8. It's nice to have the extra power for the times/situations you don't expect, but need it.

I've not compared the ms261 vs 241, but for the older 024/240 to 026/260, it was almost the same saw, just more power on the 026/260. I'll probably have my 026 until I die. Super dependable, my go to most of the time.

Kinda like towing something, sure you could do it with a v6, but for wear and longevity its hard to beat a v8. It's nice to have the extra power for the times/situations you don't expect, but need it.
The difference is greater with the new models.
But yes. My 026 I will always keep

Do you have Husqvarna or Jonsered dealers on the island? I don't mean HD. You said your 141 gave you ten years so obviously you know how to maintain a saw.
There is one Husqvarna dealer, but he jacks up his prices even more than most other outdoor equipment dealers. Unless there was a really super value on a Husky I should be able to get a serious Stihl at a better price than a serious Husqvarna. And the 141 was a reallly good saw for light duty, but the orchard expanded to the point it killed the little bugger. Thank you.

The 241.
When I get to Hawaii to visit friends I'd love to see a cocoa plantation. Will work for cocoa. Lol
We on the windward side of the Big Island and are hoping to open the farm to tours later this year, contingent on getting processing buildings built, a permit from the county, and insurance. I need to update photos, but we are at http://www.deepdirtcacao.com/index.php

I used an MS310 (older version of MS311) for a few years and just recently bought an MS261 non mtronic to replace it. The weight of the 311 is probably going to bother you especially if you're pruning trees with it all day. And from what you listed it will be used for I don't think you'll need the extra power of the 311 or the weight that comes with it. The 261 does have less power, but it's not a huge difference at least in my hands. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 261.
Never handled a 241 but it does seem like the best choice for you based on your needs and budget. If you're that worried about power spend a little more and get the 261.

I think the 241 will serve you well for your intended purpose, but the 261 is only slightly heavier, has a lot more power and it's only $70 more. In my eyes, if one can only have one saw then the MS261 C-M is the one to have. On another note, I find it laughable that their scale shows the 311 ranked higher than the 261.

I think the 241 will serve you well for your intended purpose, but the 261 is only slightly heavier, has a lot more power and it's only $70 more. In my eyes, if one can only have one saw then the MS261 C-M is the one to have. On another note, I find it laughable that their scale shows the 311 ranked higher than the 261.
I would have agreed with you.
I got my 261 CM because Brad liked the lighter 241 as a light saw.
But an array of saws helps when you make that choice.
My 261 is my go to saw. Lol

I agree, I have a 310 and a 261cm and the weight difference is huge for how close they are in power.
And it is funny that they have a pro saw ranked lower than the farmboss 311

The 241.
You aren't cutting anything Of any size so you want lightness.
And that 241 is made to run.
Don't worry about the M Tronic. Works great.

I've trimmed a lot of trees here in the US. Light and sharp

you''ll need your 090 for pruning cocoa trees.:omg:
4034280042_867828a017_o.jpg

Post 1 says Lowes is an option. I spent a while at a Lowes in Ohio trying to special order a Husqvarna blower for the battery I have in my 536 class tools. Lowes has a lot of stuff in their system but all the battery stuff is different than what I was looking for. Not sure what Lowes can order in at his location. I think Home depo carries echo so something like the cs 400 which is usually on display around here might be in the class of the 141 husky. Also not sure what they can order in. On the Stihl end they might have to order in what I might suggest as well. Sounds like something rather small along the lines of the 191 or 201 in top or rear handle as desired.

Smoke detectors do not last there, how do battery power tools in general last? Electronic igniton and fuel injection in automobiles?

For me it'd depend on how much time you'll be in those 12-14" weed trees. If you'll be cutting a lot of them and bucking them into shorter lengths, I'd be leaning towards the 261. I have a 261 myself and it's a great saw. It's ported now, but even stock it was very impressive. Pulled a 16" bar buried very nicely.

If, however you're not gonna spend much time in the larger stuff I'd be all over that 241. The 261 is a really light saw, and totally useable for pruning, but for the stuff you described, the lighter the better.

By the way, personally I love my m-tronic 261, but I know they are available with a manual carb. I don't know about the 241 though.

The 450 weighs 11.25 lbs, the 241 is 9.9. The extra 1.3 lbs gets you all of .1 hp more. A 450 would be appropriate for firewood cutting. But the OP's primary use is pruning 3" branches. Light weight is more important for that than power. He's got a lot of trees to work on and given the time on his old saw can take care of equipment. So it makes sense for him to spend a little extra to buy something that will let him get more work done. If he had $$ to spend I'd suggest two saws. One super light 35cc for pruning, one 50-60cc for the less frequent trees. But the 241 would handle both.

Back