MS 311 or MS 241 CM or . . .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw?

• MS 311

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MS 241 CM

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • MS 261 CM

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If he had $$ to spend I'd suggest two saws. One super light 35cc for pruning, one 50-60cc for the less frequent trees.
Perhaps I should have added that while the budget supports only one good saw this year, in a year or two I may want to add a pole pruner or similar. We want to keep the cacao trees to about 12' tall so the pods can be picked from ground level, and if the upper branches can be cut back from ground level it certainly would help.

What I have seen in pole pruners seems to suggest that they are better in theory than practice, but if I find something that makes sense, the saw bought now may not have to bear the brunt of pruning in a couple years.

241, 12” bar. That is the scalpel of a saw you need for the work you are looking to do.

Are the 12" bars on the 241's like all other Stihl saws? You only get about 10.5" of actual cutting length? I'm in the dilemma right now of running 12's on my smaller saws, or going with 14" bars so I've got a good foot of usable cutting length. Then again, does it really matter?

I thank all for the great comments. As of now, the vote is tied between the 241 and 261, with a few votes for "other." No surprise that no one picks the 311.

It will be about a week until I make the 100 mile run to the dealer on the far side of the island, so please keep your comments, votes, and suggestions coming. But if I was buying today it would be the 241.

I am persuaded that there are things the 261 would do better, but what is currently the tie breaker in my thinking is the idea that there is no one chainsaw that will be perfect for everything. If I buy a 241 now, it will be easier to justify buying an additional, larger saw later to handle the larger jobs, but if I buy the more capable saw now it is less likely that I can later justify buying a smaller saw. I would start out with a 16" bar, and probably change the 241 to a 14" bar whenever I would get a larger saw.

I ran this logic past the wife and she said it made sense to her to have multiple saws if needed in order to handle various size jobs. I guess she must feel guilty for the number of toys at her disposal.

I thank all for the great comments. As of now, the vote is tied between the 241 and 261, with a few votes for "other." No surprise that no one picks the 311.

It will be about a week until I make the 100 mile run to the dealer on the far side of the island, so please keep your comments, votes, and suggestions coming. But if I was buying today it would be the 241.

I am persuaded that there are things the 261 would do better, but what is currently the tie breaker in my thinking is the idea that there is no one chainsaw that will be perfect for everything. If I buy a 241 now, it will be easier to justify buying an additional, larger saw later to handle the larger jobs, but if I buy the more capable saw now it is less likely that I can later justify buying a smaller saw. I would start out with a 16" bar, and probably change the 241 to a 14" bar whenever I would get a larger saw.

I ran this logic past the wife and she said it made sense to her to have multiple saws if needed in order to handle various size jobs. I guess she must feel guilty for the number of toys at her disposal.
And again.
The 024 and 261 are both 3003 bars
241 is 3005.
Just sayin.

[QUOTE="What I have seen in pole pruners seems to suggest that they are better in theory than practice, but if I find something that makes sense, the saw bought now may not have to bear the brunt of pruning in a couple years.[/QUOTE]
They're great if they're sharp and the machines running well. I've had times where it's worked amazingly and other times its been hopeless

If you're thinking of a larger saw down the road I'm going to ask why not look at a top handle? A 261 for bucking and felling trees up to 18" diameter would be more than sufficient, and a 193T would work great for trimming the small stuff.

If you're thinking of a larger saw down the road I'm going to ask why not look at a top handle? A 261 for bucking and felling trees up to 18" diameter would be more than sufficient, and a 193T would work great for trimming the small stuff.
"A man's got to know his limitations." So said Dirty Harry in Magnum Force.

Maybe top handles are no more dangerous than a standard chainsaw, and I had given thought to exactly what you suggest, but I think at my experience level I could be asking for trouble.

Personally I'd much rather use a 241 than a top handle. Top handle saws are for use in a tree, not on the ground.

"A man's got to know his limitations." So said Dirty Harry in Magnum Force.

Maybe top handles are no more dangerous than a standard chainsaw, and I had given thought to exactly what you suggest, but I think at my experience level I could be asking for trouble.

I wouldn't say their more dangerous, you can still use two hands on them, but if you're using them one handed you need to be more aware, but that's kind of obvious isn't it? I wouldn't be afraid, as with any tool, use it within it's limitations and there should be no issues. If you're using a top handle for trimming up branches, under 6" diameter then they pose no more risk than a rear handle. I like it because I can throw small branches, or rounds if I'm keeping them with my left hand.

Personally I'd much rather use a 241 than a top handle. Top handle saws are for use in a tree, not on the ground.

Top handles serve just as much purpose on the ground for trimming branches as they do up in the air, I would not however, use one for felling or bucking. If I can keep on hand free on the ground when cleaning up small branches then I'll do so, it sure beats having to set the saw on a ground, or hold a regular handled saw with one hand. My reason being is I used to one hand my 170 and always felt it was unsafe, no matter how much strength. Sure I lose reach with the top handle compared to one handing a 170, but it's safer IMO, once again, whether up in the air or on the ground.

Edit: I only bring it up because you said you're still open to suggestions. What works for one man doesn't always work for another. You have to figure out if it'll work in your situation, believe me, they're handy little saws.

I have a MM 261cmq, and used a stock 241.

The 261 is my go to.. but it also depends on you. Your stature plays in.

That said. . I'm cutting oak and ash and pine and anything else that falls on the farm.

For your needs.. a muffler modded 241 will be light and great for any soft wood tree up to 14-16 inches in diameter.

That said, i voted for the 261.. the professional level is just built better

Back