Stihl ms 261 vs Husqvarna 550xp reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes the most sense. I've been interested in the ms261, but every time I pick one up I think Damn that's a chunky 50cc saw. The 550xp is slimmer and handles better, but still doesn't have that 50cc feel the 346xp or ms260 has.

The current MS261C is lighter than both the 550 and 346. I've posted pics of weights in other threads.

So it's not built as well. Cheaper, lighter plastic? Hard to understand how someone is so concerned with ounces on saw weights. Does that mean I should only pick lighter trees to cut. Cutting to me is the easy part. Lifting, loading, unloading , splitting, stacking and moving to the stove is the hard work. Bucking logs, saw weight is on the log. Just don't get it.

So it's not built as well. Cheaper, lighter plastic? Hard to understand how someone is so concerned with ounces on saw weights. Does that mean I should only pick lighter trees to cut. Cutting to me is the easy part. Lifting, loading, unloading , splitting, stacking and moving to the stove is the hard work. Bucking logs, saw weight is on the log. Just don't get it.
Maybe to a firewood cutter weight is not important,but to someone who is using it for 8 hours at a time a small weight difference is going to make a big impact.

I guess I do not really get the difference weight wise being significant between the two this thread is about. Someone else might be more preparing logs for lumber or clearing blow downs for any number of reasons. The blow down scenario likewise the cutting could easily be only a fraction of the actual work at hand. Sounds from the list of chores posted above you just leave the brush.

I guess I do not really get the difference weight wise being significant between the two this thread is about. Someone else might be more preparing logs for lumber or clearing blow downs for any number of reasons. The blow down scenario likewise the cutting could easily be only a fraction of the actual work at hand. Sounds from the list of chores posted above you just leave the brush.
Nope, pile it up and burn it.

Maybe to a firewood cutter weight is not important,but to someone who is using it for 8 hours at a time a small weight difference is going to make a big impact.
So, if talking ounces, do these loggers weight their boots, gloves, chaps, jackets and all rigging and safety gear, then purchase the lightest available?

261 is offered in the non-Mtronic model as well as M Tronic. I've owned both & the M Tronic model seems to have a bit better throttle response,
but ultimately I sold the M Tronics & kept the standard carb model running a 18". Zero issues with the M Tronics I've owned, hot starts which seem to plague many, no problem.

Having watched a few folks that are new to M Tronics run their equipment, most of the restart issues I've seen come when they think they need to choke the saw
after it sits a short while.

I know a guy who will only half fill the fuel and oil tanks saying he can tell the difference in weight.
Sounds like he just likes taking breaks! Before I retired, wondered how many extra hours I worked over people taking, smoke breaks or lunch breaks. Take a lunch break and come back to waiting people, thinking, looks like he could go without one. Also thought about taking up smoking, start on the patch first and work my way up to smoking. :)

I work for a tree service and never at any point even paid attention to what a chainsaw weighs.

I have the jred version of the 550, 2253 ported by MMWS, can't imagine any firewood cutter needing anything more, throttle response is crazy fast, the new 261 might weigh a few ounces less with the plastic clutch cover but I like magnesium parts on a pro saw, for what they charge we should get a little more then plastic imo

I have the jred version of the 550, 2253 ported by MMWS, can't imagine any firewood cutter needing anything more, throttle response is crazy fast, the new 261 might weigh a few ounces less with the plastic clutch cover but I like magnesium parts on a pro saw, for what they charge we should get a little more then plastic imo

Well Dustin, I'm happy to hear that you've started to come around to the autotune saws. I certainly agree that a ported 50cc saw is a great one saw plan for most firewood guys. Actually it was one of your videos that convinced me to buy a t4driller 350/346. I just wanted to mention though that the clutch cover on the new 261s is not plastic. I just double checked mine and it's definitely metal. Magnesium I assume. I think most of them have plastic handlebars, but I'm fortunate enough to have a nice toasty-warm metal one on mine. :)

I work in BC and hike my saw kms up 35%- 70% slopes to go to work. So ya the least amount of saw, oil , and fuel weight I have to hike up to complete the job the better. I am looking to purchase my own saw as the one I have been using belongs to my company. I'm currently on the fence between the 550xp, Ms261, Dolmak 5105 or pinch my pennies and grab a Ea4300F or cs490. If I'm honest there is something I really like about the ea4300F though I'll probably talk myself into the 550 or 261

Husqvarna has the mark II 550 and 545 coming out soon. Sounds like 90% of the parts are new with the goal being increased relability. The saws do pick up about a half pound though.

I am sure the 261 is a good saw ..I have run a 550xp sometimes non stop for a good 12+ hours wide open multiple days in a row I am on the 3rd guide bar everything is still original on the 550 except the air filter

If you don't follow hot restart instructions it can lose its mind but let it rev itself out for 30 seconds,its ready to work again

Mine probably needs a firmware update but it has faithfully cut all day and night for many years doing things a 50cc saw should never even attempt and doing it well
I ran my MS 261 for 24 hours a day wide open for 15 years.

Latest posts

Back