Stihl MS 280 -vs- Husqvarna 353 chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYH1

Tacticle Chainsaw Operator.
Reaction score
I have two Stihl chain saws now. A 021 with a 16 inch bar (I'm going to put a 14 inch bar on it) and a 029 Farm Boss with a 20 inch bar. Stihl is the only brand I've ever owned. I use my saws for cutting firewood mostly, about 5 face cords a year. I haven't had any problems at all with either of these two saws. They're both great saws. I just want to get a saw that's lighter then my 029, but still has good power.

I was looking at the Stihl MS 260 Pro and the Husqvarna 346XP but I don't think I need a pro saw. So instead I have been thinking about a Stihl MS 280 (not the MS 280 C-BQ) or the Husqvarna 353. I'll go with a 16 inch bar. Like I said I have only owned Stihl's before but I really like the Husqvarna 353. It seems to have more features then the MS 280 for a little less money. I like the on/off/choke control set up on the Stihl's better but I might be able to get used to the Husqvarna's.

So has anyone had real world experience with both of these saws, either using them or working on them? Thanks.

NYH1 said:
I have two Stihl chain saws now. A 021 with a 16 inch bar (I'm going to put a 14 inch bar on it) and a 029 Farm Boss with a 20 inch bar. Stihl is the only brand I've ever owned. I use my saws for cutting firewood mostly, about 5 face cords a year. I haven't had any problems at all with either of these two saws. They're both great saws. I just want to get a saw that's lighter then my 029, but still has good power.

I was looking at the Stihl MS 260 Pro and the Husqvarna 346XP but I don't think I need a pro saw. So instead I have been thinking about a Stihl MS 280 (not the MS 280 C-BQ) or the Husqvarna 353. I'll go with a 16 inch bar. Like I said I have only owned Stihl's before but I really like the Husqvarna 353. It seems to have more features then the MS 280 for a little less money. I like the on/off/choke control set up on the Stihl's better but I might be able to get used to the Husqvarna's.

So has anyone had real world experience with both of these saws, either using them or working on them? Thanks.

Welcome, no experience with the Husky, but the MS270 even though it is a 1/4 hp less than the 290 it is a pound less and comes through the wood faster than the 290 due to the higher rpm range. I have the 270 and the 280 and there is not a lot of difference in them. I will not knock the Husky because I do not own one nor will I as long as they are owned by Electrolux and seeing how much you have enjoyed your Stihl saws I don't really know why you would want to change.
RObert:cheers:

I have a 353 and love it. I have not run the 280 but I have run the 260 and the 290. The 260 had 3/8th chain on an 18 inch bar and the 290 had 3/8th on a 20 inch bar. My 353 has an 18 inch with the .325 n/k and was much faster than the 290 was and seemed to be a little quicker than the 260. But the bar and chain on any of these saws can change to outcome but I love the weight and feel of my 353 but you cant really go wrong with a 260 either.

I'm sure you plan on having the saw for a good long time, so give some thought to spending the extra $50 or so and get the 346 over the 353.

The 353 has the cat muffler on it which further opens the power gap that already existed between these models.

spike60 said:
... The 353 has the cat muffler on it which further opens the power gap that already existed between these models.

Not here, but maybe in the US. I believe it is pretty easy to remove, though.

The MS280 has a bit more cc, power, weight and size than the 353, and is not a true pro quality design.
The 353 is a true pro quality design - same saw as the 346xp, except for the larger engine, with less rpm, but a wider power-band and a decomp valve.

@ germy01
I have also found the 353 faster than the 026, but that was with 95VP/H30 on the Husky, and 25RM on the 026 (both .325 7-pin).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! The reason I'm leaning towards the 280/353 saws instead of the 260/346 saws is because I've been told that 260/346 saw are more peaky in their power range and the 280/353 have a wider and more usable torque curve geared towards firewood cutting and that type of work. I don't have a problem getting a 260/346. I want to get a saw that is going to be the best for my needs. I already made the mistake of buying the 029 Farm Boss. It's been a great saw don't get me wrong. Just too heavy for the power it puts out.....in my opinion. So I'm looking for something along the line of the 029, but lighter!

I'm going to a saw shop as soon as I'm done typing this! He sells both Stihl and Husqvarna so I'll compare the saws side by side. Again thanks and keep it coming. I'll take all the information I can get!

NYH1 said:
..... I like the on/off/choke control set up on the Stihl's better but I might be able to get used to the Husqvarna's.
It has been the other way around with me, but after 2 years with the MS361 it isn't an issue any more.

By the way, have you considered the 361/357xp or the 359?

SawTroll said:
It has been the other way around with me, but after 2 years with the MS361 it isn't an issue any more.
I think it will be a non issue for me too.

SawTroll said:
By the way, have you considered the 361/357xp or the 359?
No not really. I want to keep the weight in the MS 260, 353, 346XP and MS 280 range. I just went and looked at all four of these saws. I paid more attention to the 353 and the MS 280. Between these two saws it's definitely going be the 353. To tell you truth the 280 seemed kind of awkward to me. It's obviously heavier which I knew it would be. It just didn't do anything for me. The MS 260, 346XP and the 353 all felt very good to me. Like I said I really don't think I need a "pro saw" for what I'll be doing. That's why I'm leaning towards the 353. The one they had on display had a 16 inch bar on it which I think will be perfect for me.

The dealer said that the 353 and the 346XP have a lot of the same features. They had Jonsered's, but I really didn't look at them to much. Again I appreciate all the input, thanks!

Well, the 353 is a pro saw, just not an xp.

How the 353, 359 and 365 are adverticed varies around the world, though.

Weight difference beetween MS280 and 361 is less than halv a pound.

I don't know if this is a option for you or not but the Dolmar 5100 is a great saw in about the same size range as your looking at... If you have a dealer close to you you might want to check them out... I've never used a 280 but the 026s are great little saws too...

edritchey said:
I don't know if this is a option for you or not but the Dolmar 5100 is a great saw in about the same size range as your looking at... If you have a dealer close to you you might want to check them out... I've never used a 280 but the 026s are great little saws too...
Yes, I believe you are right, and is just slightly heavier than the 353, but also a bit more volumous and less handy, I believe......
...notisably more power though, about the same as the 359.

Also lighter and more powerful than the MS280.

353 vs 280 ,270

NYH1,
I used an 026 & was kind of let down. I know they're bulletproof but this one cut just a tad faster than my 025. I remember looking at the MS280 but it seemed kind of awkward to me also. It's not just the weight it's also the way they balance. I bought a Stihl MS310 because the local dealer was a tad closer & I got more hp for my dollar. I wish I would have bought the Husky instead because they feel better to me. If you're going to be cutting a lot spend the extra $ if need be on the one that feels better in your hand. Be sure to let us know which saw you purchased & how it cuts!!

The local utility uses 353 and has been real happy with them. thats saying alot considering the way they maintaine their saws IE letting them sit in the back of their bucket trucks out in the rain and snow till the need to use them.

Back