Stihl MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an 028 that out cuts a 029/290.....then something is seriously wrong with the 290.
A muffler modded 290 is actually a pretty strong saw. I recently built one that will steal lunch money from a 357XP or 034/036.

No STIHL products are sold at a big box store......it's not a secret.

OP.....that's not a bad saw and not a bad price. 290's get a bad rap here. Lots of keyboard loggers making false statements that have never ran one personally, but only repeating what they've read in the 1,683 threads here revolving around 290's.

I've had several 290's that survived YEARS as rental saws. I think the last one was over 4 yrs old and we sold it in running condition. That saw cut a couple hundred cords of wood. Hell, in my son's hands alone it bucked over 100 cords in those four years. Heavy, yep. Slow, kinda. Reliable as anything out there if you don't do something stupid.

I got to use the 290 this weekend. I was cutting with a guy that had a 311. His 311 was notably quicker than the 290, but I can say for the money I invested I was happy with it. We cut some large rounds out of a water oak. I have another large oak tree I will be using it on this coming weekend so will get some more time on it.

I have an MS290 that I used for 4 years before buying a 441 this year. I put away 12-15 cords each year with that saw and it never hesitated on me one bit. Yes the pro saws are stronger and lighter but I found my 290 to be built like a tank. It got tossed around and fell on the ground several times and keeps on cutting. I did do the muffler mod to it and opened it up a bit and upgraded to the non recommended yellow RS chain. Honestly the RS chain made the biggest difference and I can bury that thing in a 18" oak and not feel like it cant handle it. I upgraded only because I found a great deal on this site and I wanted something that could handle a 32" bar once in a while.

I have an MS290 that I used for 4 years before buying a 441 this year. I put away 12-15 cords each year with that saw and it never hesitated on me one bit. Yes the pro saws are stronger and lighter but I found my 290 to be built like a tank. It got tossed around and fell on the ground several times and keeps on cutting. I did do the muffler mod to it and opened it up a bit and upgraded to the non recommended yellow RS chain. Honestly the RS chain made the biggest difference and I can bury that thing in a 18" oak and not feel like it cant handle it. I upgraded only because I found a great deal on this site and I wanted something that could handle a 32" bar once in a while.

How do you like the 441? I think that would be my next jump.

Very nice, TeeMan! If you decide to do a muffler mod, I hope you'll share your experience. It sounds like a nice improvement in power.

Sent using Tapatalk.

No immediate plans to do a muffler mod. I may if I feel the need. Right now I have one more large tree to get through for the season with it and when I get to the base I'll be using the trusty John Deere CS81, 81cc saw my friend has. That thing is a beast and is not heavy considering the size. We just run a 24" bar on the Deere, but I know it could easily handle more.

my brother has an ms290 known as the farm boss - its a decent saw for woodcutting hes going on 5 years now with zero problems - he also put a 20" bar on it but i talked him down to a 18 " and hes much happier with the performance 18 is max i would go and 16 would be better . im not sure what u.s. prices are on this saw but in canada they are about 450.00 new and they are discontinued but many parts are interchangeable- sthil changed it to the ms 271.

I've worked on and upgraded many of those saws to 039/390. For what they are they're great saws. A bit heavy but very durable and last forever. Open up the muffler a bit and it's a whole 'nuther saw. That saw plain gets nuts in the cut after the muffler gets drilled out a bit. Richen it up a bit and it'll hold up well when buried, lots of "grunt" after made to breathe properly. Don't know why Stihl choked them up so much. They really need to breathe better.

my brother has an ms290 known as the farm boss - its a decent saw for woodcutting hes going on 5 years now with zero problems - he also put a 20" bar on it but i talked him down to a 18 " and hes much happier with the performance 18 is max i would go and 16 would be better . im not sure what u.s. prices are on this saw but in canada they are about 450.00 new and they are discontinued but many parts are interchangeable- sthil changed it to the ms 271.
Nope

The 290 became a 291.
The 270 WoodBoss became the 271

TeeMan, I highly recommend a muffler mod on this saw.
I don't think there is another saw that benefits percentage wise as much as the 1127 series.

I know this isn't my thread, but as another new-to-me MS290 owner, I appreciate the good info people are sharing!

I'm on the fence about trying the muffler mod. But it's encouraging to know that I could simply replace the whole muffler for ~$20 or so on eBay if I tried to mod it, and just messed it up instead. I've removed the limiter tabs already, so I have full ability to re-tune the carb. Heck, if I still wanted to the ability to run it stock, I could buy an eBay muffler and modify that one.

It's heavy already. Doing the muffler won't make the saw any lighter, but it *would* improve your power/weight ratio, at least.

Definitely do the muffler. If you are concerned about messing it up, here's a very conservative what to do:

Remove the muffler, there is a depressed area in the center of the muffler (covered by the spark screen.) Drill two 3/8" holes in that depressed area and then clean out the chips real well. Reassemble it and retune the saw. It will probably need to be richened about 1/16th to 1/8 of a turn (counterclockwise on the H screw) That's it. About 15 minutes total.

There is more that can be done but just that will make a noticeable difference in power and doesn't cost a thing. It will be slightly louder but not crazy loud.

This entire series takes the same muffler but different models seem to have varying amounts of exit holes. The MS290 is really choked down and probably benefits more than the 039/MS390 from the mod. I do a muff mod on every one of this model I refurb/repair. I run quite a few saws stock but not this series.

Hey Tman... don't let JD548 talk you down. No, these aren't a pro grade saw, but my God. Not every saw needs to be. I've got an 029Super... I wasn't impressed with it... for a while. Did a muffler mod... still not impressed, until I got it tuned right, and maybe now it is breaking in. WOW! Impressive little saw now. Did over 90% of my woodcutting with it last year. I've ran a 20" full comp chisel on it in the past and have changed it to a 25" full comp/chisel. I've only ran that combination in my wood pile testing and cutting cookies but will try it this cutting season.

Definately do the muffler mod! Enough poster's here have said so... I add to it. Do it! You won't regret it, and it will make that 029/290 a different saw. Really really!

Duane

Definitely do the muffler. If you are concerned about messing it up, here's a very conservative what to do:

Remove the muffler, there is a depressed area in the center of the muffler (covered by the spark screen.) Drill two 3/8" holes in that depressed area and then clean out the chips real well. Reassemble it and retune the saw. It will probably need to be richened about 1/16th to 1/8 of a turn (counterclockwise on the H screw) That's it. About 15 minutes total.

There is more that can be done but just that will make a noticeable difference in power and doesn't cost a thing. It will be slightly louder but not crazy loud.

This entire series takes the same muffler but different models seem to have varying amounts of exit holes. The MS290 is really choked down and probably benefits more than the 039/MS390 from the mod. I do a muff mod on every one of this model I refurb/repair. I run quite a few saws stock but not this series.
Can this same procedure be done on the MS 390 as well...just wondering?:chainsaw:

Reggie, I don't own a 390 but from what I understand they use the same mufflers.... Newer models may be slightly different and others can shed light on that, but either way, there are ways to open them as well.

Duane

Yes, same thing on an MS390 or 310.
If you drill the depressed area, it is coming straight out the muffler from the cylinder. The area around the depression goes through the baffles first. The 390 has more holes on this outer area than the 029/MS290. I usually open up the outer area some on a mill but if you're not careful, you can separate the baffle from the can and if it gets loose, that's a problem. So I essentially enlarge the holes outside the baffle but also do the two 3/8 holes in the depression. Then I reinstall the spark screen. It's a big screen and no reason to leave it out. Not counting the removal and installation time, it takes me about 10 minutes to do one on the mill if I haven't messed with the mill and removed the vice or something...

Latest posts

Back