Stihl MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you like the 441? I think that would be my next jump.
I really like the 441 and it can run circles around the 290 in the bigger stuff. I can use the 290 for most of the stuff that gets delivered to me from a tree service but I grab for the 441 a lot of the time just because it is so much quicker. I have the stock 20" bar on the 290 right now but I will probably drop that down to a 18" or maybe even a 16" and use it for a limb saw since lugging the 441 around through piles of logs can get to be a little much. The 441 is definitely a jump and well worth it so far to me.

I really like the 441 and it can run circles around the 290 in the bigger stuff.

That is true,,,, but we're talking an 029/290 here, 56cc's vs. what, 70, 72cc's? Homeowner vs. pro grade? Two different animals. Yah, on fire line give me a 440/044.... for my woodcutting, my 029 is fine. Differences in production and expectation. The 440/044 is certainly a fine saw all around, woodcutting or fireline, but the 029/290 for the regular Joe woodcutter is certainly fine enough as well!

Duane

No immediate plans to do a muffler mod. I may if I feel the need. Right now I have one more large tree to get through for the season with it and when I get to the base I'll be using the trusty John Deere CS81, 81cc saw my friend has. That thing is a beast and is not heavy considering the size. We just run a 24" bar on the Deere, but I know it could easily handle more.
I was hesitant to do the muffler mod on my Husky 359 also, but another added benefit in my opinion is it is much easier to tune, for me at least I can hear it fourstroke much better

If you have an 028 that out cuts a 029/290.....then something is seriously wrong with the 290.
A muffler modded 290 is actually a pretty strong saw. I recently built one that will steal lunch money from a 357XP or 034/036.

No STIHL products are sold at a big box store......it's not a secret.

OP.....that's not a bad saw and not a bad price. 290's get a bad rap here. Lots of keyboard loggers making false statements that have never ran one personally, but only repeating what they've read in the 1,683 threads here revolving around 290's.
keyboard loggers, thats funny,reminds me of some gun forums i am on, internet commanandos was a term i picked up. funny ****.

Yes, same thing on an MS390 or 310.
If you drill the depressed area, it is coming straight out the muffler from the cylinder. The area around the depression goes through the baffles first. The 390 has more holes on this outer area than the 029/MS290. I usually open up the outer area some on a mill but if you're not careful, you can separate the baffle from the can and if it gets loose, that's a problem. So I essentially enlarge the holes outside the baffle but also do the two 3/8 holes in the depression. Then I reinstall the spark screen. It's a big screen and no reason to leave it out. Not counting the removal and installation time, it takes me about 10 minutes to do one on the mill if I haven't messed with the mill and removed the vice or something...
Hmmm....just wish I were a tad more mechanically inclined....appreciate it though.
Wouldn't happen to have video of that would you?

Got to use the 290 Saturday. The first two photo's are at my friend's house where a large red oak snapped about 12' off the base with a bad storm that rolled thru our area a couple of weeks ago. I would estimate these rounds up to 2'. The base that is still on the ground is getting closer to 3' and this is where I will need the Deere 81cc with the 24" bar to get any further.

The third photo is of the rounds at my place. The property owner said he thinks it is water oak, but I am thinking red oak based on the smell and chips I saw while cutting. This is the tree I cut rounds from last Sunday and the property owner had his MS 311. These rounds are 2'+ as well. This tree also came down with the storm two weeks ago.

redoak cut1 (35).JPG redoakbase(36).JPG redoakdriveway (37).JPG

Speaking of mufflers: Is there an aluminum shield behind the muffler on these 029-290 saws? The one I've been working on doesn't have a muffler shield but it appears to be called for in the IPL. Does it hurt to run the saw without one?

There is not a metal shield on this series. Some have a shield made out of what appears to be gasket material. I've mostly seen it on the MS390 and it is only present on a small percentage of saws. Use it if you have it, don't worry about it if you don't.

Not every part in the IPL is used on every saw. If you look at the mufflers for instance, there are several combos depending on what country the saw is exported to. As I stated, while this heat shield may be shown, it is not on every saw that leaves the factory and I'm pretty sure I've never seen one on one of the smaller displacement saws like yours is (was). If you want this shield, I'm sure the local dealer can get one. I'd send you one but I just don't have many.

Back