Stihl MS-361 vs MS-390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 346, 5100 and 260 are nice, not my style though.

7900, 372 and 460 rock!!

But why screw with it? Get the gift that gives back!!! 880 or 3120!!!

I am looking to get my father a new saw(He is a stihl guy). I have narrowed it down to a ms-390 or ms-361. He has a farm boss 029 and cuts about 12 to 16 cords of wood per year. So tell me what you think and please stay on topic.

THANKS :givebeer:[/QIf it's for pops 361.. Spring for the dual dwag kit in addition to the 3/4 wrap handle. & Upgrade the thing to a 16 or 18 " es bar instead of the farm boss. . You know he will likwe it as much as you like the famoly jewles. Har:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I am looking to get my father a new saw(He is a stihl guy). I have narrowed it down to a ms-390 or ms-361. He has a farm boss 029 and cuts about 12 to 16 cords of wood per year. So tell me what you think and please stay on topic.

THANKS :givebeer:[/QIf it's for pops 361.. Spring for the dual dwag kit in addition to the 3/4 wrap handle. & Upgrade the thing to a 16 or 18 " es bar instead of the farm boss. . You know he will likwe it as much as you like the famoly jewles. Har:chainsaw: :chainsaw:
Almost forgot dont forget the long style clutch cover as a safety precaution w/ the 3/4 wrap handle. Get both a 7 rim pin sprocket & an 8 pin . Just dont bend or lose the C c;ip when deciding which one is best:chainsaw: :chainsaw: .

Anything wrong with the 029? Get him a smaller limbing saw instead. He may be very fond of his old faithful 029 and prefer to keep it. Instead of having 2 similar saws, set him up with 2 different type tools. Its a thought......

questions questions

I don't even see where this is a question. Is there any option other than the 361??? I'd say NO!!!!!!

:cheers: eh?

Both make close to the same power. .....

That is only on paper, max hp is just a snap-shot of the powerband, and only give you a rough idea about what to expect.

The engine design is totally different, in favor of the 361.

I had a 310 , the 361 will maintain better power at altitude then the mid-range saws, that was something could really tell a differance in.

That probably is for the same reason....

Last edited:
Anything wrong with the 029? Get him a smaller limbing saw instead. He may be very fond of his old faithful 029 and prefer to keep it. Instead of having 2 similar saws, set him up with 2 different type tools. Its a thought......

The 361 can double as a light limbing saw.....:clap: :clap:

I've never seen this topic on here before. Can we please discuss it some more?

Could someone interject some Husqvarna recommendations also to keep it moving even though he's clearly a Stihl guy?

UTFSE

I'll never forget the time saw troll was talking about the 390 in a positive manner and I assumed it was a Stihl.

lol

I'd get the 390. Actually, I got the 390 today. It's a cheaper version of the same damn thing. The logs seem to get get cut pretty well with it. Keep the extra $ you'd spend on the 361 and buy dad a hooker AND a chainsaw. He could chop her up with it afterwards. It has a lot of power for that kind of action.

I'd get the 390. Actually, I got the 390 today. It's a cheaper version of the same damn thing. The logs seem to get get cut pretty well with it. Keep the extra $ you'd spend on the 361 and buy dad a hooker AND a chainsaw. He could chop her up with it afterwards. It has a lot of power for that kind of action.
I'll just pretend I didn't read the 2nd to last sentence.

I'll just pretend I didn't read the 3rd sentence. :jawdrop:

Sure not going to knock the 390, and congratulate Audible Fart on his.

However, if the choice is between the 390 and 361, I jump on the bandwagon here: 361!

Wouldn't quite call it a limbing saw [though I do it], but whether the AV or just general feel of the saw, that pound feels huge [actually though, I've only made a couple test cuts with a 390]: I can run the FILs 029something then my 361 and it feels like I just filled it with helium.

Last edited:
I'll just pretend I didn't read the 3rd sentence. :jawdrop:

I somehow mentally blocked that one reading the post, but now have to know...:confused:

Just how much power, and what is the best torque band for chopping up hookers? And just how does one happen to know this particular piece of information? :dizzy:

Just how much power, and what is the best torque band for chopping up hookers? And just how does one happen to know this particular piece of information?

Cutting meat works best with high revs and narrow kerf. I'd say 346XP running 325 would be ideal for Hookers.

Back