Stihl MS 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Why no love for the MS 362? I know alot of guys say they are hard to modify. I ams talking about a stock saw. I know they are slightly heavier than an MS 361. What little I have heard about them people say the have alot down low and a fairly wide powerband. I have not had a chance to run one. What are some of you guys feedback? I have Stihl, Husky, and Dolmar and like all three brands.

From what I gather the 044, 440, and even the 441 are so close to he 362 it seems like guys just grab the bigger saw.

They are definitely under rated. They make more power than either the MS361 or 262XP, yet get no love. I think it's simply a result of their slightly over-complex design, and slightly heavier weight. They are good saws and respond well to mods.

They are definitely under rated. They make more power than either the MS361 or 262XP, yet get no love. I think it's simply a result of their slightly over-complex design, and slightly heavier weight. They are good saws and respond well to mods.

Ours doesn't seem to have the power the 361 we had did. Its a nice saw good av and decent power. But I think the weight issue will get handled on the next model. And if it came out mtronic i'd be willing to try another one.

I am wanting to try one with an 18" bar. It should be lighter with that combo than my favorite 440 with a 20". I am suddenly wanting something between the 440 and my 5100 and 550xp. Would anyone chose the MS 362 over a 562xp for the same price? I just tend to favor Stihl over Husky. Althouigh nothing wrong with Husky at all. The wide powerband of Stihl and the inboard clutch I prefer slightly.

I am wanting to try one with an 18" bar. It should be lighter with that combo than my favorite 440 with a 20". I am suddenly wanting something between the 440 and my 5100 and 550xp. Would anyone chose the MS 362 over a 562xp for the same price? I just tend to favor Stihl over Husky. Althouigh nothing wrong with Husky at all. The wide powerband of Stihl and the inboard clutch I prefer slightly.

18 inch set up you wont see enough difference in performance to go either way. In that case I'd go where dealer support is.

Although I will add that a 555 waxed our 362 in a 10inch cant. And those AT saws are smooth

I have 5 Stihl and 2 Husky dealers close to me and all are good dealers..especially 1 Stihl dealer close to my work. Price is the same versus the 562 xp. So anyone chose the MS 362?

I have 5 Stihl and 2 Husky dealers close to me and all are good dealers..especially 1 Stihl dealer close to my work. Price is the same versus the 562 xp. So anyone chose the MS 362?

Having run both the 562 would be my choice just in all round use. The 362 would make a damn fine firewood saw. The 562 is a better saw IMHO but that doesn't mean the 362 isn't a bad saw. The power bands in both are similar in the since they carry power from bottom to the top. AV is second to none on these AT saws. You buy the 562 and chances are you'll grab it more than your 044

The only way to know which you'd prefer is a test run at the dealer. Take a round in and ask to try them

I think most everyone on the forum would probably choose the 562 right now. I personally have had very little experience with them.

I'm not a band wagon guy but after trying a couple out :msp_wub: Having one would really make a person wonder if you even need a 70cc option.

The 440 is my all time favorite saw. I just wish it was ever so slightly lighter after a few hours. Sounds like you guys are saying the 562xp could take it's place. It is lighter for sure. It would be hard to take it's place in my heart:msp_biggrin:

I like Husky, however I seem to prefer Stihl. My brother switched from Husky to Stihl a couple years ago and now has only Stihl. I have Stihl, Dolmar, and Husky. I just wish my 550xp had low end like my 5100. A local dealer told me that he has been selling some MS 362's with and 18" bar to people who want a slightly lighter 440. He says the results have been great.

I like Husky, however I seem to prefer Stihl. My brother switched from Husky to Stihl a couple years ago and now has only Stihl. I have Stihl, Dolmar, and Husky. I just wish my 550xp had low end like my 5100. A local dealer told me that he has been selling some MS 362's with and 18" bar to people who want a slightly lighter 440. He says the results have been great.

Like I said ask your dealer if you can try them out. No need to drop $650+ without test running the saws

I've use an MS362 a few times and tried out a 562xp at the dealer. I like the 562xp a little better, but they're both great saws. For me it would come down to which dealer I liked better.

What works best is a matter of opinion, I (and many others) say go with the best dealer support in your area. That being said, in my exp a Stihl and a Husky work well for a single owner operator (I'm talking pro saws) but when that same saw is used by multiple people like for company use or on a crew of workers where everyone is using the same saws, Stihl seems to hold up better/longer.

I'm getting off subject a little arent I? The 362 is a very nice saw. How often will it be used though? Weight is a major factor for the professional saw user. I'm talking about people who make there living with chainsaws. If your only interested in a firewood saw or only plan on using the saw a few times a year then weight won't be such a big deal. Ive used/owned most pro saws, Stihl 50cc, 60cc, 70cc, 80cc And some Husky 60cc, 70cc saws over the years. Get what best fits your needs.

Adding 2 more cents. Leave your ego at home when thinking about purchasing a chainsaw. It does not pay off in the long run to run a bigger saw, example anything 70cc, when a 60cc saw will do the job. This tears your body up in the long run. Trust me, tennis elbow sucks. When I first started cutting professionaly I thought I'd prove how bad a$$ I was by running what everyone else was running. Now my body is telling me how stupid an idea that was.

Not cutting professionally other than occasionally need a little bigger saw for work other than my 50cc saws. Occasional use for work and some firewood and larger trimming jobs. That is why I was considering a 60cc saw. My beloved 440 gets a little heavy and 50cc saws are a little small at times. Therefore, looking for a 60cc alternative.

When I got my 361, put a 24 on it, took it out and dropped, limbed and bucked a 3' or so oak just to see how it would do in a one saw plan situation.
While it did the job pretty adequately, it was a real compromise in weight or cutting speed most all the way around.

Would have much rather had a 80-95cc to do the 36-24" part, a 50cc for the 14" and under and a 70cc for most of the in between.
The 361 was great in the 16-18" stuff...

When I got my 361, put a 24 on it, took it out and dropped, limbed and bucked a 3' or so oak just to see how it would do in a one saw plan situation.
While it did the job pretty adequately, it was a real compromise in weight or cutting speed most all the way around.

Would have much rather had a 80-95cc to do the 36-24" part, a 50cc for the 14" and under and a 70cc for most of the in between.
The 361 was great in the 16-18" stuff...

The 361 is much more attractive than the 362. :smile2:

Latest posts

Back