Stihl MS 381 (Big Brutus) Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SawTroll said:
:taped: No such things over here, and they aren't mandatory everywhere in the US either, are they.:confused:

Only if you cut on National or State forest and I do both so better safe then sorry.

04ultra said:
Manual just drive the 40 miles and buy a dozen ...:hmm3grin2orange:
:biggrinbounce2: I also just thought of that, but he may be better off with RS/RSC anyway, so I didn't post it.....:blob2: :blob2:

Last edited:
04ultra said:
Manual just drive the 40 miles and buy a dozen ...:hmm3grin2orange:
Almost could Total wants 12 bucks and Sthil wants 19 Bucks.
Would like to visit my Bearded friends. But I seem to walk out with more then what I went there for. Hmmmm On the other hand My wife just left to Iowa to visit family before winter sets in.:monkey: And I do have wood sales to fill.

manual said:
Almost could Total wants 12 bucks and Sthil wants 19 Bucks.
Would like to visit my Bearded friends. But I seem to walk out with more then what I went there for. Hmmmm On the other hand My wife just left to Iowa to visit family before winter sets in.:monkey: And I do have wood sales to fill.

Just do the road trip you tight sucker and buy lots of extras..Trust me you'll feel better... :cheers:

SawTroll said:
:biggrinbounce2: I also just yhought of that, but he may be better off with RS/RSC anyway, so I didn't post it.....:blob2: :blob2:
I have been using a Rs chain on thr 2171 I cut six cords of wood and never sharpened it. I just sharpened it. I had a hard time fileing through sthils grinding marks. the file catches on the back side of the rakers. Sthil seems to give you longer cutters. So far I am happy with Sthils Chain.

SawTroll said:
I once posted this, and feel like repeating it here....

Oh for gawd's sake, they said "safeTY" chain, not "SAFE" chain. Their special design elements are intended to reduce kickback which are, indeed, safety measures - thus the term "safety" does apply.

NOTHING labelled "safety" makes any implications that the use of such guarentees safety, just improved safety. Why have crumple zones, airbags, laminated windshields etc. if SAFETY belts made automobile occupants safe? Answer, they DON'T! Safety belts, like "safety chains" improve safety by reducing occurances or severity of injury, not eliminating altogether.

Safety steel toes? I still keep my feet from under heavy stuff, anyway

Safety glasses? I don't place my face in the spark stream of a grinder or any other area of airborne particles.

No one on this site, to my kowledge, EVER implied that "green" chains were safe. If they ever do, feel free to blast 'em and you'll have a LOT of guys give you a hand, but as long as they put a "ty" on the end, jeeze Louise lighten up...

I do, however applaud your steadfast reminders to be careful - we can't say or hear that enough. Blink of an eye, lose an eye - green chain or not.

Werd.

LOL...at $2.50 a gal (for diesel) I can't justify a trip unless I buy in bulk...which I prefer to call a REASON - not an excuse!

Fortunately the Stihl shop is only a mile away...and on the way to the gun shop...I mean lunch...:hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

04ultra said:
Just do the road trip you tight sucker and buy lots of extras..Trust me you'll feel better... :cheers:

No, the point was pretty clear:

"Kick back reducing chain.... is a more proper term than "safety chain", as no saw chain is really safe."

I got it and fully agree. I just don't agree that the term "safety" is misapplied as you purport.

That's OK, but my main point was describing the different types, and that it isn't as simple as "Yellow" vs "Green" chain.....

wagonwheeler said:
LOL...at $2.50 a gal (for diesel) I can't justify a trip unless I buy in bulk...which I prefer to call a REASON - not an excuse!

Fortunately the Stihl shop is only a mile away...and on the way to the gun shop...I mean lunch...:hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

Hmm the Sthil shop is the Gun Shop. Now the Husky dealer is on the Sthil Dealers heels and put a gun shop is his store. I can have lunch two doors down for the sthil dealer.
If I go to the Jonsered Dealer, Nothing but cows and horses

I'm liking the sound of Barton City more and more... :rock:

Chaser

manual said:
Hmm the Sthil shop is the Gun Shop. Now the Husky dealer is on the Sthil Dealers heels and put a gun shop is his store. I can have lunch two doors down for the sthil dealer.
If I go to the Jonsered Dealer, Nothing but cows and horses

wagonwheeler said:
I'm liking the sound of Barton City more and more... :rock:

Chaser
Barton City has two bars, one diner, down to one general store/ gas station, Post office, and a volunteer fire station.
Population 250 in the winter time.....Saaaaalute.

Ain't big city life great!

I actually live just outside of Shilo, Ga... we have a flowershop and a volunteer fire station...and a church w/ cemetary.

Since we have no post office my mailing address is over in Hahira where they have a 2 traffic lights (in the same intersection of course) and a few shops and such.

DOT is about to change the exit ramps and Hahira is going to lose thier truck stop, motel, and a gas station - 60% of thier tax base...:angry2:

Chaser

manual said:
Barton City has two bars, one diner, down to one general store/ gas station, Post office, and a volunteer fire station.
Population 250 in the winter time.....Saaaaalute.

Latest posts

Back