Stihl MS 650 Mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that Dave Neiger is hosting a gathering in the spring. Not sure of the date, but it'll be more or less in your neck of the woods. I'm sure he'll let everyone know when it will be held once he has a date in mind.

Hopefully we'll be able to get together at Mark's place again in the spring, too. Here's our last two GTGs: August and October

computeruser said:
Wow, so much hateration on the 650!

I think we'll all be interested to hear how it runs when it comes back. Where in Michigan are you? I'd certainly be interested to see that saw run after the modifications...

Congrats chainsaw1! You made your decision based on your own wants/needs/schedule and took the time to let us in on it! :rockn:

As usual you got answers to questions you didn't ask...things you already knew but didn't find as catastrophic as others might. I'm sure plenty folks here play the lotto, throw money to PPV boxing or WWF, or basically burn cash in ways OTHERS might consider less than optimum...

So what... it's not all that important that anyone here is happy with what you own. Nobody here helped you earn your money and certainly shouldn't be critical of how you spend it! :buttkick:

Maybe we need a separate forum for the 'status quo' saws... but I really like to hear how folks like the new offerings.

I remember reading reports from two 650 owners here and both like 'em. One bought his for milling and I beleive is still using it AFAIK...(even 066 users start looking at bigger saws for milling eventually).

Plenty of happy 290 owners making chips like no tomorrow as well as owners of the high power to weight pro saws like 372's, 440's, 460's, 660's - many of which are likely running at 75% or less power just due to incorrect mixture settings and/or compression loss due to use/age (but they'll still defend them pro saws as being the 'stuff' no matter how crappy they run...)

Enjoy every minute of it and let us know how it goes! :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Now go clean up your room and finish your homework before you go to bed...:ices_rofl:

:cheers:

Chaser

Last edited:
I just sit back and laugh a bit when i read some of the post don't get me wrong i am glad that you took time to let me know what you think thats what i asked for after all, I always go for the under dog that way when they win you get to sit back and really listen to people cry. I mean the 650 is not that much smaller than the 660/066

Yep. I have a Ruger MK II bull barrel bullseye gun that holds tighter groups at 50 yds than many High Standards, Hammerlis, Mod 41 Smiths...etc... It'll definitely hold X ring at 50.

And even for those guns that do hold tigher groups the owners don't necessarily shoot 'em all that well anyhow. :hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

Plenty of happy 290 owners making chips like no tomorrow as well as owners of the high power to weight pro saws like 372's, 440's, 460's, 660's - many of which are likely running at 75% or less power just due to incorrect mixture settings and/or compression loss due to use/age (but they'll still defend them pro saws as being the 'stuff' no matter how crappy they run...)
I would think that someonethat knows the differances between a pro saw and a 029 would also know how to maintain his chains and keep the saw working at its peak.
The rocked out chain, have the dealer tune it crowd usually doesnt run pro saws.
I dunno about Ruger pistols, but there bolt guns can be accurate after you bed them and put a new trigger in them. Having to buy a new trigger for a factory gun is a bit a of a turn off hence I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

bwalker said:
I would think that someonethat knows the differances between a pro saw and a 029 would also know how to maintain his chains and keep the saw working at its peak.
The rocked out chain, have the dealer tune it crowd usually doesnt run pro saws.
I dunno about Ruger pistols, but there bolt guns can be accurate after you bed them and put a new trigger in them. Having to buy a new trigger for a factory gun is a bit a of a turn off hence I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Pros can own 290 and keep 'em at thier peak as well as homeowners, right?

Someone who knows the difference can still buy whatever they please for whatever reason they please. It's no mystery that some of the worst maintained saws/guns are owned by those that 'know' it all. Knowledge isn't necessarily or even 'most likely' implemented appropriately...think DEALERS.

And I absolutely agree - you can buy or reject whatever saw/gun you like for whatever reason you like. No problem there!

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
Yep. I have a Ruger MK II bull barrel bullseye gun that holds tighter groups at 50 yds than many High Standards, Hammerlis, Mod 41 Smiths...etc... It'll definitely hold X ring at 50.

And even for those guns that do hold tigher groups the owners don't necessarily shoot 'em all that well anyhow. :hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser
bwalker said:
Nothing wrong with the trigger of my ol' S&W mod 41, and the gun was allways capable of more accuracy than me....:bowdown:

I also have a French .22LR semi-auto rifle - Unique 51-bis - that was capable of 1/2 moa accuracy at 50 metres with a couple of types of ammo before I loaned it out, and got it back in pretty shabby condition......:cry: :angry2: :angry2:

...it may still have the same accuracy though, but I haven't tested.

Last edited:
bwalker said:

You'd think so, but..

You must run in different circles... The vast majority of the "pro users" out here abuse their saws though inattention, don't have a clue about tuning and have never thought about maintenance. The most common excuse - I'm to busy making money... hmmm... what do they do in the dark of winter then? They do however generally sharpen their own chains, well, most of them...

If they are cutting, most pro's keep using them. Parts fall off, clutches are shot, cases are cracked, but... Homeowners are the opposite - almost never clean out old gas, obsesses over a crack ("no duct tape allowed on my saw"), read the owners manual but....

I had one "pro" yesterday that came in with his 046. Complaint: "running like a POS!". No air cleaner cover... I told him - "you need a cover" - he - "nope, it's been working just fine for months - easier to clean this way..." but.. it's now pouring with rain!! He left to find a used cover.. Most of my customers are way better that this, but I just had to share..

Last edited:
SawTroll said:
Nothing wrong with the trigger of my ol' S&W mod 41, and the gun was allways capable of more accuracy than me....:bowdown:

I absolutely can relate to that! And the 41 is a FINE gun! Much more desireable than my MKII for sure (but dang will it shoot!!) 41's have a unique recoil which some just plain can't adjust to...sort of like the relaxed grip angle on the MKII and some High Standards... But I can see no reason not to own one of each (two of some...;) )...:D

As far as guns and saws and such, all the rhetoric about THEORETICAL buyers and users is, for obvious reasons, impossible to conclude.

chainsaw1 is not theoretical (to himself anyway:laugh:) - he owns an 066 and bought a 650 and I'm interested to hear how thing go with it. I'll never know how he tunes/cares/cuts with his saws or even how much he embellishes or understates his impressions. But that pretty much goes for all of us...and is why I still have to take ownership of every decision I make.

Chaser

Lake...considering you can BAN me :jester: don't misapply the DEALER comment above...:cheers:

I don't know that you know what you know but I do know it has no affect on what you know about your own knowledge... but then that should be self evident as you knew it before I knew you...or you me... :popcorn:

Chaser

:ices_rofl:

I'm stihl trying the parse that... not sure I know enough to figure out what I know..

As for the banning... rest in peace.,.. "they" don't trust me enough to allow me to do that..:)

Latest posts

Back