Stihl MS 661 C-M guide bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Kunte

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi All!

I'm looking at purchasing a Stihl MS 661 C-M power head only, since I already have a 25" Rollomatic guide bar with matching 3/8" 72 dl chain. However, the local dealers all seem to be telling me that the standard Rollomatic bar will not fit the 661 because of the "sprocket problem". Not one of the local dealers can tell me exactly what this "sprocket problem" is.... I guess they don't want to sell the power head on its own, but I could be wrong. So I'm turning to you guys. Can anyone who has experience with this saw tell me whether this is true or bogus?

Eagerly awaiting your replies....

Mike

To clarify, 72 dl is for 20". 25 (or 24) for Stihl has 84 dl. If you need, I have new and good used Stihl ES 25 bars 84 dl and some new Oregon LGX chains.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

LSQ!

Apologies, slip of the old mouse there! It is indeed an 84 dl chain! Thanks for the correction!

Mike

Definitely get a MaxFlow air filter. Redbull660 has an excellent YouTube video comparing with stock HD2 filter.
LSQ!

Apologies, slip of the old mouse there! It is indeed an 84 dl chain! Thanks for the correction!

Mike

Hi Guys!
Just some feedback regarding the guide bar. You were right - it's a bunch of hooey! It seems that Stihl South Africa does not want to supply the power unit without a bar and chain. If they had just said this from the beginning, things would have been clearer. But to come up with a cock-and-bull story about a mysterious "sprocket problem" .... Come on, Stihl - we're not stupid!

And here is an interesting side note: operating in a 3rd world country, most of our dealers revolted against the requirement of acquiring a laptop for diagnostic purposes on the M-tronic units. As a result, the MS661 is NOT available locally with the M-tronic system! This means that I can still do my own adjustments with a $2 screwdriver! Talk about a stroke of good luck!!

Definitely get a MaxFlow air filter. Redbull660 has an excellent YouTube video comparing with stock HD2 filter.

The other night I watched that video of the saw with the 5 foot cannon bar noodling. Pretty impressive!

I like those MaxFlow filters

Thanks, 2SP!
Can't wait for the new "toy". Should be collecting tomorrow. Unfortunately, the exchange rate makes these imported goodies very expensive, so it took some saving! You may be pleased (or not pleased) to know that I mainly cut down Eucalyptus trees! It may upset your Koalas, but these trees are VERY thirsty. Large specimens consume up to 2000 litres of water a day - not a good thing in a water-scarce country!

I hear you guys down under are experiencing a serious drought at the moment. Let's pray for some good rains down there!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Did you end up picking up the 661? What type of Eucalypts, some pics would be great if you had them. Drought is an issue for NSW and parts of QLD, really feel for them! Rain seems to be falling in the wrong places. We are ok so far in VIC. Seems it is going to be a terrible fire season this summer.

Back