Stihl MS 661 having the bog blues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well let know, turns out I have a direct Stihl contact via my neighbor... Who's mother is coming from Germany in Dec so can have her bring whatever

I was in Russia back in May and June of this year, and while they still have MS440s, a non CM 661 was hard to locate.
So much so I gave up on bringing one back with me.

Good Luck.

A standard wj-67 from a 660 bolts straight on but the control module's timing curve will be wrong unless the solenoid remains in the circuit.
I have seen no evidence that timing is dynamic. I have a hunch it's no different than any electronic coil, which retards at low RPMs in order to aid starting, then goes to max advance right after it comes off idle.

Without the solenoid wiring in the curcuit they start and idle perfectly but die at the first lean out test. With the solenoid wire run to earth it will run but the timing is not advancing. With the solenoid hung in the airbox as a dummy they are everything you would expect a carby 661 to be. Not sure of the longevity of the mod, I just tested the concept out of interest.

Without the solenoid wiring in the curcuit they start and idle perfectly but die at the first lean out test. With the solenoid wire run to earth it will run but the timing is not advancing. With the solenoid hung in the airbox as a dummy they are everything you would expect a carby 661 to be. Not sure of the longevity of the mod, I just tested the concept out of interest.
Thanks for that leg work. That's good to know! I'd like to run an unlimited coil as well. I've hear the 066/660 works, but have not seen it confirmed.

The non IEM ms 280 ignition module is the same physical size and mounting as a 661 and except for a shorter plug lead looks like a direct swap. I'm guessing that they share a lot in common due to the evolution of the inteligent engine management system and m-tronic The flywheel is a different diameter but the modules appear to be interchangeable. I haven't tried it yet but see no obvious reason why it wouldn't work.

My 661c toasted the top end the other day, looks like a lean seize, needs a new piston and rings, hopefully the cylinder is just transfer. Had a slow leak on pressure/vac test from the decomp, combustion chamber and piston filthy with grey brown carbon from ultra 40/1, maybe decomp was sticking from it?Hearing about an updated coil to make it run richer, anyone else?

With emissions regulations the way they are no company will ever bring out anything to make a saw run richer. I heard they might even bring out a new zero emissions coil, just an empty lump of plastic to bolt on to realy keep the epa happy. I suppose you won't be needing this for your saw since it's already had the zero emissions upgrade.

Seriously though they are a fantastic saw, they leave the clunky old 660 for dead. Ive also heard that there is an upgraded coil out now that I presume does let the saw run a bit richer under load. What Stihl need is the programming guy from VW to jump in on the 661 team, I'm guessing he's looking for another job!

Latest posts

Back