Stihl MS170 vs ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpmfg

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking for other saws that will run with the stihl MS170 is there a red or orange saw that will run with one that is in the same CC and weight range. give or take a pound and a couple CC's?

The dolmar 420 seems to be getting good reviews and I believe it isn't to much more $ than the MS170.

Thats funny I was just looking at some youtube videos of one. Thats one Ive been thinking hard about, that and a ps350. Im wondering if its as nimble as a 170?

Im wondering about the Redmax 3800avs as well, that seems very close..

Thats funny I was just looking at some youtube videos of one. Thats one Ive been thinking hard about, that and a ps350. Im wondering if its as nimble as a 170?

It is about 2lbs heavier than the 170 won't be quite as nimble. I would skip the PS350 and go right to the 420. They are the same weight but the 420 has 35% more power.

It is about 2lbs heavier than the 170 won't be quite as nimble. I would skip the PS350 and go right to the 420. They are the same weight but the 420 has 35% more power.

The weight isnt much of a problem, its the case design I think.. the 346xp and 5105 are just about the same in weight, but the husky "feels" alot more nimble to me, I think its how the case is designed or the handles positioned?

Im thinking the 420 with a 14" should cut pretty good.

Check out the Echo CS-310 or CS-352. I think their quality is a bit better than Stihl in these small low-end saws.

Well, there's always Homer Depot :laugh:

Or Ebay where you can get a CS400 for just over $200 new, muff modd it, skip the dealer, online parts are reasonable if you ever need parts. It will cut twice as fast as a MS170 (I have both) but wieghs 13# ready to cut, a cuople pounds more than the MS 170 but no where near to heavy to run all day. That new CS352 really sound nice also if you need a saw that light. Steve

Back