Stihl MS180 MS200 MS211 Comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chose the 211 over the 200 due to price. If the funds get better, a 200 will be on my list.:D

I'd just buy two 211's. I don't mind dumping a-lot on a saw but it better do more than be able to limb. I know a-lot of guys will disagree but i've always kept my small saws within reason so I could free up cash for the power saws. If I was a full time climber you could bet I would have a 200t but i'm not so when I have to the 192 fills the bill.

Light enough that my wife ejoys trimming instead of adding it to my list, the 200's price didn't seem bad; After dropping the 200 out of a tree a couple times and not hurt a bit (maybe the 211 would fair well - don't know), I don't regret the price at all.

Wood is Post Oak

211 brand new .050 chain 6 tooth sprocket.

180 used .050 Picco chain 7 tooth sprocket,

I know 211 is not broken in but 180 running 7T sprocket. I use the 180
cutting small sprouts and such and like the chain speed on small stuff.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s116.photobucket.com/flash/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Trigger-Time_photos/180%20200%20211/ebe0bdca.pbr&hostname=stream116.photobucket.com"></embed>

Last edited:
How about vibration? How does the 200 and 211 compare?

I am considering a 200 because it is so much lighter than the 211 (to run with a carving bar). 211 sounds like a real bargain, though.

My new 339xp is very smooth, although like I posted in another thread I can't get it to behave well in terms of idling and response. So far it is not fun to run, and it has me thinking about a 200 again (never run one).

I am considering a 200 because it is so much lighter than the 211 (to run with a carving bar). 211 sounds like a real bargain, though.

My new 339xp is very smooth, although like I posted in another thread I can't get it to behave well in terms of idling and response. So far it is not fun to run, and it has me thinking about a 200 again (never run one).

The 211 is very smooth but doesn't have that sloppy feeling most springy saws do. Even with limited run time on a 200, the 211 felt better.

I'm not sure what app you're using to encode your vids, but the audio and video are out of sync. I use Windows Movie Maker, which is free from Microsoft. I'm not trying to nit pick here. Just trying to help you out. Now continue on with the comparison:)

Vibration is something I don't give too much thought, it really don't bother
me. Unless its a non-AV old saw. With that said, I don't really notice the 211
beaning a really smooth running saw. If I'm running 440, 064 then pick
up 361, I think this is a smooth running saw. Not so with 211 after running
200 or 180.......I'm not a AV spring kind of guy, give me some stiff rubber
AV mounts. But I don't run a saw all day long 5 days a week. Unless milling
it's rare for me to run a saw over 3 hours at a time.

Dad and I both bought Husky 335XPT's years back. Good running saw's
but damn where they had to start first time, could never get them to idle
right.....you could have it idling right set them down, heck next thing
you know chain was turning and digging dirt. Dad still has his and want's
me to sell it for him........guess what saw he has.......MS200T :)

I know noise bothers you, 200 with screen and holder out is loud and
muffler is to right rear of saw. I can't see 211 even after broken in
ever rev as quick or haveing torque the 200 has. 211 will beat 200
cutting fries though :)

I know noise bothers you, 200 with screen and holder out is loud and
muffler is to right rear of saw. I can't see 211 even after broken in
ever rev as quick or haveing torque the 200 has. 211 will beat 200
cutting fries though :)

Are you saying the 200 has more torque?

Is the 211 cutting noodles better because it clears better?

If there is a replacement for the 200 coming (at the same price point) I wonder what it would be like.

Are you saying the 200 has more torque?

Is the 211 cutting noodles better because it clears better?

If there is a replacement for the 200 coming (at the same price point) I wonder what it would be like.

More torque, I think it will, same cc's and 200 IMO is higher rev and richer
running engine.........Book says 14000 rpm for 200 but mine has a good 4 stroke at 14500 rpm........and their must be a reason for 211 clutch not
engaging until 5100 rpm, and it's right on the money, I checked it with tach.
200 clutch kicks in at 3700 rpm.

Is the 211 cutting noodles better because it clears better? Yes, cover way more open. More open than 180 W/Quick Adjust.

Replacement for 200, I have no idea.

211 making fries.........from fish gill thread

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s116.photobucket.com/flash/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Trigger-Time_photos/180 200 211/0e1c8dfd.pbr&hostname=stream116.photobucket.com"></embed>

All that being said you have to admit that for a homeowner saw the 211 is very impressive and almost has a wow factor for a cheap a$$ homeowner saw. As i've said before mine was a joke situation when I bought it but quickly went to a let's see how long it lasts to I can't believe it's still running thing. In fact if you haven't run one in person the video sound is dead on that they almost sound muff modded.

All that being said you have to admit that for a homeowner saw the 211 is very impressive and almost has a wow factor for a cheap a$$ homeowner saw. As i've said before mine was a joke situation when I bought it but quickly went to a let's see how long it lasts to I can't believe it's still running thing. In fact if you haven't run one in person the video sound is dead on that they almost sound muff modded.

Muffler is mod in video......I wasn't going to but I did.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=101133

PICT0032.jpg

Last edited:
211 making fries.........from fish gill thread

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s116.photobucket.com/flash/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http://vid116.photobucket.com/albums/o27/Trigger-Time_photos/180 200 211/0e1c8dfd.pbr&hostname=stream116.photobucket.com"></embed>

That is an amazing little noodler.

Latest posts

Back