stihl ms180 smoke bomb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin Rowley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wife got me a stihl ms180 for christmas last year. Pretty cool little saw except for one issue. It smokes like crazy. I mean really bad. I've got 2 other saws that make the usual amount of 2 stroke smoke, this thing makes about twice as much. The only carb adjustment I can find on it is an idle adjustment screw marked "LD". I've fiddled with it, no change. Anyone know a solution to this smoky problem?? I'm using stihl brand oil mixed at stihl recommended ratio, just like on my other saws. Thanks!

My wife got me a stihl ms180 for christmas last year. Pretty cool little saw except for one issue. It smokes like crazy. I mean really bad. I've got 2 other saws that make the usual amount of 2 stroke smoke, this thing makes about twice as much. The only carb adjustment I can find on it is an idle adjustment screw marked "LD". I've fiddled with it, no change. Anyone know a solution to this smoky problem?? I'm using stihl brand oil mixed at stihl recommended ratio, just like on my other saws. Thanks!

Did it just start doing this or has it done it the whole time?

Thanks guys. It's been a smoker since I got it. I totally removed the spark arrestor screen right after I got it. I looked at air filter and it looks fine. Welch plug? What the hell is that? I'll change premix oil when I run out, but I just bought a 6-pak of the sthil oil.

Thanks guys. It's been a smoker since I got it. I totally removed the spark arrestor screen right after I got it. I looked at air filter and it looks fine. Welch plug? What the hell is that? I'll change premix oil when I run out, but I just bought a 6-pak of the sthil oil.

Does it two stroke in the cut or does it 4 stroke all the time?

welch plugs are a part inside the carb.

Ok, did a little research on welch plugs. I'll dig into the carb in a few days and see what I can find. Could I just tap a bit on existing plugs to tighten them up or would it be best to just order new ones and replace them?

I’ve not replaced one personally but I understand they can be a bit tricky. One thing to try may be clear nail polish over it to seal, but I’ll defer to the more experienced folks here.

sounds like the warranty is out the door, so.

First try running the saw Without any bar oil in the tank. Do not do any cutting just dump the oil out and run the engine, Some of my old saws would suck bar oil into the engine crankcase. These type saws used the pulse type oiler. This should not be your problem since the oiler is gear driven, unless a gasket or ? could be bad somehow letting oil into the crankcase.

Next just use copper plus Permatex on the welch plugs as a first test. If it stops smoking you can then scrape it off and add a slow dry 2 part epoxy to the outside of the plugs. A leaking carb welch plug should cause the engine to not run correctly.

If the saw runs, cuts and oils the bar good just let er rip since it now does not have any warranty and did it from the time it was new.
Does it run and cut normal other than the smoke?

Oil smoke from a Chainsaw or small engine does not bother me, but Brandon, Al Gore and the tree huggers get upset due to fossil fuel being in the air. (also mosquitos don't like the oil smoke)

First thing I’d do is pitch the Stihl oil it’s junk. I’d find a fully adjustable carb to slap on it and call it a day.

Does it run and cut normal other than the smoke?
Yep, runs and cuts fine. I'll drain the bar oil and give that a try. Another clue, this saw has leaked chain oil since day one. I have to keep a piece of cardboard under it to keep it from getting oil everywhere.

Okie, I think you've found where the extra oil is coming from! l drained out all the bar oil, rinsed out tank with a little gas, took off bar and chain and fired old smoky up. No more smoke screen! Only what I'd call normal 2 stroke smoke now. So....any ideas how this oil is getting into the engine??

Back