stihl ms180 smoke bomb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I do not know how bar oil is causing your smoking issue???????????
You will have to ask a Stihl 180 expert.
This test indicated that bar oil is the source of your additional smoke and you can forget about sealing or removing welch plugs and adjusting the carb.

As far as chainsaws leaking bar oil onto the floor I do not let that bother me, I set all my chainsaws that do not have a carry case saws on a big catch container during storage I have some big plastic lids that have a 1 inch lip around the outside edge, like a big cookie pan and some are setting in a big plastic bottom that I cut off a barrel and left a 1 inch lip around the edge.. When working on a chainsaw I have a big metal cookie baking pan similar to this 9see the link below) that I set the chainsaw in when on the work bench or kitchen table and the pan catches the oil, trash and any parts that try to escape plus the tools are within easy Access in the pan.
Don't let your woman catch you using her cookie pan when working on your saw on the kitchen table or you might be wearing a skillet on your head. (and a toe in your behind)
Some will tell you to loosen and re0tighten the bar oil cap and the gas cap before storing but that only working on some. I just let them leak and do their thing. I've spent lots of time and effort trying to stop chainsaw oil leaks and I've decided it's easier to just live with that issue and use a catch pan.
Link to cookie tray for use on workbench: (I do not know why it says robot or human in the link????????? but it shows the cooking baking pans)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilton-B...-Baking-Pan-Set-3-Piece/44432741?athbdg=L1100

Thanks for the reply, Okie. I'll keep researching this problem. Or if all else fails just let ole smoky smoke. At least it starts and cuts, right? Good suggestion with the cookie sheet. I have a plastic storage box lid I can put on top of my workbench to contain all of ole smoky's greasy sawdust.

Okie, I think you've found where the extra oil is coming from! l drained out all the bar oil, rinsed out tank with a little gas, took off bar and chain and fired old smoky up. No more smoke screen! Only what I'd call normal 2 stroke smoke now. So....any ideas how this oil is getting into the engine??
I think someone is hallucinating! The oil tank is completely separate and is irrelevant... unless bar oil is somehow getting on the hot muffler.

BTW, I wouldn't mess with the carb. Not likely to be a problem. The only welch plug sealant that will hold up to ethanol is water thin super glue but you need to let it cure for several days before reassembling the carb. The odds are that you'll find the red Zama sealant in there already.

Zama had a problem with the welch plugs. I am not sure if this particular saw has a welch plug, but I have had saws act the same, and the problem was a loose welch plug.
The original poster may have just had someone put some bar oil in the gas tank by accident. He should take a pic of the saw with the bar/chain/cover off, and the top cover off as well.

I think someone is hallucinating! The oil tank is completely separate and is irrelevant... unless bar oil is somehow getting on the hot muffler.

BTW, I wouldn't mess with the carb. Not likely to be a problem. The only welch plug sealant that will hold up to ethanol is water thin super glue but you need to let it cure for several days before reassembling the carb. The odds are that you'll find the red Zama sealant in there already.
Could it be leaking through a crank case gasket?

I decided to take the cover off of a new one, and this carb has 2 plugs. They are not the round style, and have a bunch of sealant. It looks like this sealant is different to the older sealant.WELCH 086.JPG
WELCH 086.JPG

My wife got me a stihl ms180 for christmas last year. Pretty cool little saw except for one issue. It smokes like crazy. I mean really bad. I've got 2 other saws that make the usual amount of 2 stroke smoke, this thing makes about twice as much. The only carb adjustment I can find on it is an idle adjustment screw marked "LD". I've fiddled with it, no change. Anyone know a solution to this smoky problem?? I'm using stihl brand oil mixed at stihl recommended ratio, just like on my other saws. Thanks!

The 180 has NO adjustment. The idle speed screw serves only to slow the chain down, at idle, when its shortened. A 16" set-up will drag and keep still. A 12" set-up, with less to move, would easily spin at IDLE. Mix at 32:1......it either smokes, or screams. In short, your fuel is oil-heavy.

Okie, I think you've found where the extra oil is coming from! l drained out all the bar oil, rinsed out tank with a little gas, took off bar and chain and fired old smoky up. No more smoke screen! Only what I'd call normal 2 stroke smoke now. So....any ideas how this oil is getting into the engine??
This is beyond cryptic. Please explain your comments...

found where the extra oil is coming from! = there is no extra oil source.

bar oil drained? What does that have to do with the engine making what you personally consider excessive smoke?

"how this oil is getting into the engine"...again, what oil? Bar oil tank is completely separate of entire machine, with a single hose to the pump area?

I think the smoke is recreational........

This is beyond cryptic. Please explain your comments...

found where the extra oil is coming from! = there is no extra oil source.

bar oil drained? What does that have to do with the engine making what you personally consider excessive smoke?

"how this oil is getting into the engine"...again, what oil? Bar oil tank is completely separate of entire machine, with a single hose to the pump area?

I think the smoke is recreational........
Did you not see the pic of the crankcase?, sure looks like there would be a gasket between the oil tank & crankcase, flywheel side.

Back