Stihl MS201T Ignition Module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An FYI for anyone else having this problem with Stihl ignition modules.
Not so much as a Question, but a heads up for anyone who is having problems with their Stihl MS201T
I run a Small engine shop and am a third generation small engine mechanic and have never run into one like this. Customer brought me his Stihl saw said it just quit and would not restart. Checked spark (None) Disconnected the module kill wire still no spark. Okay needs a new ignition module. Ordered one postal service ran over that one with fork truck. On to number 2. Installed proceeded to test spark (Nothing) Okay check mounting - good air gap - good continuity from coil mount to cylinder - good No spark. Decided must have a defective module. Number 3 Same results (No Spark) Spent sleepless nights asking myself what I was missing here. Checked all forums for possible other instances of these being bad. Finally I spoke to another long time Stihl Dealer. He knew of and had this happen to him. Stihl has and know they have an issue with the 1145 400 1303 ignition modules for these saws. So before you think you have done something wrong it may not be so. On to Coil number 4 has to be a good one out there. Right? and as pointed out from another forum the flywheel magnets are good.
I just did one of three in the shop I'm at, but i did the 1145-400-4702 and am not getting any spark. Has anyone had any issues with this module? The saw hass about 500 hours on it and came in with an issue of it shutting off after 10 minutes of use then not restarting. Ran the diagnostic on it and couldn't get it to turn over to complete the diagnosis on the old module. Went through STIHL engine check as much as possible and found no other obvious issues. Any help would save my brain from melt down. Thanks

Latest posts

Back